cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO seller protection for disputes opened through payment institution!

I cannot believe the lack of justice for sellers on eBay!

A buyer opened a payment dispute through their payment institution (not eBay) while we were in the middle of compromising on a partial refund (which the buyer requested for this very tiny issue on the item).

The buyer suddenly stopped responding to my messages and ghosted me, so I figured the issue was resolved and the buyer did not need my help anymore. (I was very willing to give the buyer a partial refund, it was not like I denied it.) 

About a month later, the buyer suddenly opened the dispute through their payment institution.

I was astonished because the buyer continued to ignore my messages and they did not tell me the detailed reason the buyer opened the dispute. Nevertheless, I explained the details of what happened with the buyer and provided proof of delivery.

Yes, as expected, they sided with the buyer regardless, and I have lost all my funds (which was over $400) as well as the item too). When I appealed to eBay about the outcome of the case, they only told me that because this case was opened OUTSIDE of eBay, they could not do anything about it. **bleep**

This means sellers cannot do anything if the buyer opens a case with their payment institution and claims there is an issue with the item even when there isn't. Sellers be aware! I am very disappointed as I have been a seller for a long time here, and they are not providing proper protection for sellers. What a shame. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

That's just how it is.

It sucks when happens but nothing you can really do outside taking the buyer to small claims court.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I have more chargebacks on Amazon than eBay. Won one out of the last two. Hard to win a INAD chargeback but you can win the INR and did not recognize the transaction chargebacks.  That is just the way it is with chargebacks.

Here is the latest with chargebacks.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2023-summer/business

Posting ID
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@jedid37 

How do you know they "sided" with the buyer if you don't know what / why the buyer filed the Chargeback?

Actually in the email you got from Ebay notifying you of the Chargeback, it should have told you why it was filed.

Chargebacks can be VERY hard on sellers and it is NOT Ebay siding with anyone.  Ebay has NO CONTROL on a Chargeback.  None.  It is all the financial institution that holds the buyers Credit card or Debit card.

If the reason for the Chargeback is that the buyer doesn't recognize the charge, that one is usually winnable with the right evidence sent in.  Tracking showing delivered and a copy of the Ebay Order.

If the reason for the Chargeback is an INR.  That one is pretty easy to win with tracking that shows delivered.

But INADs / SNADs are simply difficult at best.  Very hard to win, but some can be won with good evidence submitted.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

If eBay has "NO CONTROL" on a chargeback, then how does the buyers CC company get the Sellers funds? The CC company has zero rights to take money from a sellers account. eBay hired a processor therefore it is 100% in eBays control.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The CC company has full rights to recover the funds. These are terms Adyen has agrees to in order to process these electronic payments.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@dnasilver wrote:

If eBay has "NO CONTROL" on a chargeback, then how does the buyers CC company get the Sellers funds? The CC company has zero rights to take money from a sellers account. eBay hired a processor therefore it is 100% in eBays control.

What does "control" over the Chargeback and its outcome have to do with payouts?  Two completely different functions.  I think you are reaching here.  

A CCC has the right to reverse a charge if they deem it an appropriate move.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The buyer's chargeback rights are defined by consumer protection laws. They are mirrored in the merchant agreement for credit cards which apply to Ebay. Ebay's right to recover such costs from the involved seller are defined in the Ebay Services Agreement which they are currently messaging sellers about because they have modified some of its terms.

Try reading some or all of the related documents.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply