cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My item sold for less than what was listed (fixed priced item)

I had an item sell for less than the original price that was listed. 

The item was listed at $37 with a 30% off discount, so the total for the item should've been $25.90. Somehow, the buyer only paid $18.13.

The listing was listed as a "Buy it now" listing, not auction or bid. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else before and if eBay will reimburse the diffence?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: My item sold for less than what was listed (fixed priced item)

Looks like it somehow got marked down double.

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 6.53.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 6.54.03 PM.png

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Did you do a Sell Similar to relist the item or edit the item?  I've had the Sale Price on the item become the Item Price when using Sell Similar or Edit and then once listed the 30% applies again!

It's a(nother) long standing bug.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Did you inform the buyer that due to an Ebay calculation error, 30% of the original price ($37.00) is $25.90 instead of the $18.12 they paid which includes free shipping.    Regrettably, you will be refunding their payment.

Otherwise, you are giving away your item.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@lilbama911 wrote:

Did you inform the buyer that due to an Ebay calculation error, 30% of the original price ($37.00) is $25.90 instead of the $18.12 they paid which includes free shipping.    Regrettably, you will be refunding their payment.

And just what reason would you use to cancel?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@lilbama911 wrote:

Are you kidding? I would give it away before I inform the buyer...

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Strange things tend to happen at the end of ebay's reporting quarters lately. Usually resulting in $ flowing in ebay's direction.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

Strange things tend to happen at the end of ebay's reporting quarters lately. Usually resulting in $ flowing in ebay's direction.

so, .....   you are saying the eBay cut is more on $18 than on $25?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

This particular convenient "glitch" resulted in fees for ebay, as well as adding to their GMV. Depending on how many times this happened and the value of the items it happened with, it could add up to a nice chunk of change heading ebay's way, and a nice padding of the GMV numbers for the 3rd quarter. The buyer was enticed by the lower price and probably wouldn't have bought at 30% more.

Surely some of you don't still believe that these kind of things happening at the end of ebay's quarters is just coincidence, do you?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@hioctane62 wrote:

so, .....   you are saying the eBay cut is more on $18 than on $25?

Ebay knows that SOME money is more than NO money. They just provide "incentives" in achieving their goals. The discount coming up tomorrow is an example of the right way to do it. This example, not so much...

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hioctane62 wrote:
Surely some of you don't still believe that these kind of things happening at the end of ebay's quarters is just coincidence, do you?

They happen all the time, it's not an end of quarter thing...

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

Your ability to perform basic math successfully is ,...?  Selling an item for less money than listed does not increase eBay revenue.

Try again.

Good Luck Sellng!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sofcali wrote:

I had an item sell for less than the original price that was listed. 

The item was listed at $37 with a 30% off discount, so the total for the item should've been $25.90. Somehow, the buyer only paid $18.13.

The listing was listed as a "Buy it now" listing, not auction or bid. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else before and if eBay will reimburse the diffence?

This was a long-running GTC listing. On February 11th you manually adjusted pricing for sizes M and 2XL. That's the same day you added the XL variation. I'm going to guess and say that you added the XL at the old pricing and didn't notice it since the listing was ignored except for marking it down 3x/month which was probably done in bulk.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

Looks like it somehow got marked down double.

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 6.53.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 6.54.03 PM.png

I think it was marked up 30% so the seller could run perpetual markdowns but he missed marking up the price on this variation.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply