cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Rant... to be Classified Somewhere Between Objective and Obnoxious

This is my Rant Du Jour;

I'm passively annoyed when posters feel the grip of and freely submit to some preconceived anxiety arising from some unanswered awareness of guilt that requires repeating entire original posts only to proceed in lock step sans any grammatically correct form of separation to then  only add some comment of questionable value to the presented subject. 

Sure mate, I know you've been aware of the the same issue. And yes, it does dramatically slow everyone's progressions through the array of responses  having to find the elusive  southern border between the tedious repetition of original post and responders comment.  I have to admit one of my closest and dearest friends here on the forum is a repeat offender.  Though I love her dearly,  admittedly, I don't know her personally.

Is there redress to this injustice to a smooth path through threads? Yes. If you wish to add opinion or rule to a thread, please don't underestimate the conceptual abilities of other members by repeating an entire original post.

If there's something specific within that original comment, simply copy and paste that specific line you wish to contest or uplift.  Don't forget quotation marks to help us grasp when you have completed the tedium of redundancy and: Now Comes; your salient comment.

Separating  your comment from the original post can easily by accomplished using a line of dash marks as shown above to speed us through comments.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

TL/DR

If there's something specific within that original comment, simply copy and paste that specific line you wish to contest or uplift.

Seems sensible.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

TL/DR

If there's something specific within that original comment, simply copy and paste that specific line you wish to contest or uplift.

Seems sensible.

But not simple for those of us on mobile devices 🙂

@duggmillsMany others feel the same way. This has been discussed here and the blues said different options are being looked into, maybe you could pop in here and ask when they are going to fix this?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Community-Platform-Feedback/Post-quoting-and-quoting-and-quoting-and/m...

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

@duggmills wrote:

This is my Rant Du Jour;

I'm passively annoyed when posters feel the grip of and freely submit to some preconceived anxiety arising from some unanswered awareness of guilt that requires repeating entire original posts only to proceed in lock step sans any grammatically correct form of separation to then  only add some comment of questionable value to the presented subject. 

Sure mate, I know you've been aware of the the same issue. And yes, it does dramatically slow everyone's progressions through the array of responses  having to find the elusive  southern border between the tedious repetition of original post and responders comment.  I have to admit one of my closest and dearest friends here on the forum is a repeat offender.  Though I love her dearly,  admittedly, I don't know her personally.

Is there redress to this injustice to a smooth path through threads? Yes. If you wish to add opinion or rule to a thread, please don't underestimate the conceptual abilities of other members by repeating an entire original post.

If there's something specific within that original comment, simply copy and paste that specific line you wish to contest or uplift.  Don't forget quotation marks to help us grasp when you have completed the tedium of redundancy and: Now Comes; your salient comment.

Separating  your comment from the original post can easily by accomplished using a line of dash marks as shown above to speed us through comments.

I agree!

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Or just drop the quote feature altogether. I answer poeple all the time and have never used the feature as I find it annoying.

As to speeding through posts, simply scroll past the ones with quotes in them.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@kaelykat wrote:

Or just drop the quote feature altogether. I answer poeple all the time and have never used the feature as I find it annoying.

As to speeding through posts, simply scroll past the ones with quotes in them.

No! Do not drop the quote feature.

It's excellent if it's used properly. I don't understand why some people don't know how to use it... it's right there in big blue letters and all you have to do is CLICK on the thing on the relevant post you are responding to, it's not that hard, LOL.

Another forum I used to partake in had a limit of 3 quotes-within-quotes, meaning if you tried to quote something that had already been quoted twice before, it would refuse to let you. It appears these forums do not have such a system so you end up getting a quote within a quote, within a quote, within a quote, within a quote, within a quote, etc....

They just need to revamp it a little bit and add some restrictions and be fine. There are some posters here I see commenting all the time who don't seem to grasp how to use this simple feature and I must say it drives me nuts but I felt it would be rude to try to explain it to them. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@duggmills wrote:

Or quote, and then delete out all but the relevant line, no c&p required.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

•But not simple for those of us on mobile devices

Sure it is. I do it the same way on my phone as I just did here in this quick reply. Manually copy and paste precise snippets.
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

•Or quote, and then delete out all but the relevant line, no c&p required.

That can be problematic - the forum software makes a mess of that sometimes (at least in Firefox).

I really wish they hadn't taken the HTML tab away - made it so much easier to do things.
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Or quote, and then delete out all but the relevant line, no c&p required.

I definitely vote with/for @southern*sweet*tea for a couple of reasons.

• Some replies, if they are far enough from the post to which they are replying, are just impossible to read with any context. Makes me wonder to what comment they're replying when I read them.
  • @The only way I know whether someone has replied to me (other than going back and checking every single thread I've posted in for the last week) is if they quote my post so it has my member id hightlighted in it. (Of course, they could also use the @ sign followed by my member id.) If they do that, I receive a notification that "so-and-so mentioned you in . . . " Otherwise, how do you ever know someone replied?

I agree that the best way is to use the quote and then delete all but the relevent sentences like I've done in this post. Dashed lines or quote marks are useless when trying to distinquish the original text from the reply, IMO.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:

Sure it is. I do it the same way on my phone as I just did here in this quick reply. Manually copy and paste precise snippets.

It might be easy for you but not others like myself and the poster the OP mentioned 🙂

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:

See? That's one of my points:  I can't tell whether "•But not simple for those of us on mobile devices" is part of your response or whether you're quoting someone else. Is that little mark preceding the sentence supposed to be some kind of a clue? I can barely tell what it is. Is it a bullet point? Is that a common symbol that means, "Someone else said this, and I've just copied it and pasted it into my comment?"

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@duggmills wrote:

This is my Rant Du Jour;

It's nearly as annoying as when someone responds to a particular poster, and does not do a quote.

You need to scroll back to see what they were agreeing with/grousing about/commenting on.

Sometimes the particular poster has made several posts, and no one knows which post they are even responding to without the quote.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I often resemble that rant!  Have to admit, though, sometimes it's fun.  Smiley Surprised

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@duggmills wrote:

This is my Rant Du Jour;

It's nearly as annoying as when someone responds to a particular poster, and does not do a quote.

You need to scroll back to see what they were agreeing with/grousing about/commenting on.

Sometimes the particular poster has made several posts, and no one knows which post they are even responding to without the quote.

That's true.  I tend to lean heavily on the quote function for that reason; my apologies if that has offended anyone.  If I feel I can use quick reply without a quote, I try to use that.  But you are right~~a response can just hang there and you have no idea what the comment was that the response refers to.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply