cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Post Office no longer accept scanning sheets for shipmernts

On my selling ID I always ship around 40 small bubble envelopes with tracking every Monday.  And of course always print a scanning sheet to make it easier for them.   Today was told by the manager that they will no longer accept scanning sheets...  only individual scans.   Was informed that their staffing allowance is based on the number of tranactions and scans they perform every day, and they would rather have 40 scans rather than a single scan.

Now...  must admit that my post office is always very short staffed and usually has long lines, so definitely understand the issue.   But kind of sad that this backwards process has to be used.

It appears that there will be no more scanning sheets for me.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: My Post Office no longer accept scanning sheets for shipmernts

I use a scan sheet even if I drop off 1 item. 

I told them I like the way the scan looks on tracking "Shipment received..."

But my post office is super chill and scan sheet means they don't have to even weigh anything. 

Honestly your PO sounds bad, not a fan because those individual scans are a waste of YOUR time.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

@segestius wrote:

Was informed that their staffing allowance is based on the number of tranactions and scans they perform every day, and they would rather have 40 scans rather than a single scan.

That makes absolutely no sense. That single scan INCLUDES all of those 40 scans, it just prevents them from having to do each one individually. It is not as though they are not getting the credit for all of the individual packages that are on a SCAN sheet.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

No one at the post office has a clue as to the rules.  Each person says a different thing.   So, next time they might accept the sheet. You just never know.   I have had them get confused over the rule that let's you use the old regional boxes for priority.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

I do understand the change.  It would be way to easy to have a package or packages drop off that were not on the scan sheet.  They may have found that there are too many missed scans doing it with the scan sheets.

I certainly don't know, that is completely a logical guess.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Did this come from counter staff? Have you confirmed it with the Postmaster?

Consider contacting the higher ups because Scan sheets must be accepted, a good place to start would be the local USPS Business Unit.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Would you please be so kind as to explain where you print the scanning sheet at on eBay ?  

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

That confusion goes all the way up the line.  I got charged an extra amount. Then a couple days later I got the refund for the extra amount.  

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

@segestius wrote:

On my selling ID I always ship around 40 small bubble envelopes with tracking every Monday.  And of course always print a scanning sheet to make it easier for them.   Today was told by the manager that they will no longer accept scanning sheets...  only individual scans.   Was informed that their staffing allowance is based on the number of tranactions and scans they perform every day, and they would rather have 40 scans rather than a single scan.

Now...  must admit that my post office is always very short staffed and usually has long lines, so definitely understand the issue.   But kind of sad that this backwards process has to be used.

It appears that there will be no more scanning sheets for me.

@segestius this is crazy considering a year and a half ago many sellers were being told by their carriers they were no longer allowed to scan more than 5 packages individually and scan forms were mandatory for anything more than that. 😕

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/USPS-new-rule-only-have-to-scan-part-of-pick-up/m-p/32733167/h... 

I'd definitely be talking to your postmaster.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

The actual scan of the bar code is irrelevant.  It all has to do with the zip code that the label has for the ship from address.  So if you drop off your package at a completely different zip code from what is stated in the label, the post office that scans the package in doesn't get the credit, only the ship from zip code from the ship from address. I had to adjust my ship from zip code because the lady at my small post office informed me that her post office wasn't getting credit for the label due to the zip code being different,  even though the other post office is maybe 20 mins away. The one I drop packages off is alot closer then the post office for my actual zip code, so I always use them instead. 

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@ga_open_box_llc wrote:

So if you drop off your package at a completely different zip code from what is stated in the label, the post office that scans the package in doesn't get the credit, only the ship from zip code from the ship from address. I had to adjust my ship from zip code because the lady at my small post office informed me that her post office wasn't getting credit for the label due to the zip code being different,  even though the other post office is maybe 20 mins away. 

Your PO lady is misinformed. The purpose of the Ship From ZIP on the label is to show that the correct postage has been calculated for shipping from that regional zone. Generally speaking, if the first three digits of the Ship From ZIP code match those of the post office handling the Acceptance, the postage will be correct. (Consider that larger metropolitan areas can have multiple post offices within the same ZIP code; the Ship From ZIP doesn't identify one PO vs. another.)

As for getting "credit" for handling the packages, they get that by scanning them. Scanning the SCAN sheet instead of each package individually will achieve the same thing, as the barcode on the SCAN sheet represents a specific list of packages assigned to it when it was compiled.

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

@segestius wrote:

Today was told by the manager

Ask to talk to the Postmaster.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

My post office will not scan a label or a scan sheet. They want you to use the kiosk out in the hallway to scan your package and put it in the blue box. This morning I had one package and the scanner was not working. I went in an explained to the postal employee that the scanner was down. I politely asked if she could scan this package and she gave me the nastiest look like it was beneath her to do this. 

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

My carrier (rural carrier) is more than happy to scan more than 5 packages.

Scan 5, hit a button, hit another button, scan some more.  She is paid for each scan that is done.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

You're correct. I can tell you it is because the training stinks! My spouse worked in several different USPS offices. After the initial classroom training which is not much more than the basic dos and don'ts, they throw you to the wolves and you learn on the fly. Offices often call each other trying to figure out how to do things. She was bounced around to various offices because it was cheaper for them to have "relief" workers fill in then to hire someone full time. 

That makes it difficult when almost every office has a different set up. You have little offices that are considered "manual" offices..they don't get the better equipment. Big offices may get better equipment but never have enough staff. When you do get "new" ( most times it's refurbished) equipment, you have to figure out for yourself how to install it, resulting in more calls to other offices and tech support who also does not know. Management views it as the end of the world if they have to send a tech person out to help. Postmasters are expected to pinch pennies everywhere and get a lot of grief from management. I am speaking  pre pandemic. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Now, it's even worse. 

Message 15 of 31
latest reply