cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 18 year old account with 100% positive feedback just got suspended indefinitely for selling CBD

I have been selling products on Ebay's platform for 18 years with a 100% positive feedback rating through my personal account. I recently read an article where one of Ebay's executives stated that searches and sales of CBD oil products have gr
eatly increased throughout 2018.

Link to Yahoo article here

Ebay's Vice President of of Buyer Experiences, Bradford Shellhammer, told Yahoo! Finance that eBay shoppers purchased over 39,000 cannabidiol (CBD) oils and supplements this year and conducted 284,000 related searches.

So why is it that when I decide to list 3 of my businesses CBD products through my business account that we get suspended indefinitely with no recourse or ability to appeal the decision?

Me and my team have spent multiple days on the phone with Ebay's outsourced customer service agents trying to get to the bottom of this. No one will give us an answer as to why the documents we supplied when Ebay requested them were non-sufficient to continue business.

On top of banning my business account, Ebay has also closed my personal account since it was related to the business. That's 18 years of work down the drain. Never a black mark on its record. Never a negative buyer review. All gone. With no recourse?? How is that fair???

I hope this post can make it's way to someone at eBay who can actually help fix this.

When I search the word CBD on ebay it comes up with thousands of products that are actively for sale. The same exact products we were trying to sell.

I'm failing to understand why these sellers can sell CBD on Ebay's platform, but we have been singled out and banned from doing the same.

CBD has been legalized by the signing of the 2018 Farm Bill and there's no reason why my accounts should've been banned.

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

My 18 year old account with 100% positive feedback just got suspended indefinitely for selling CBD

Not that I know anything about the subject but your listings don't say CBD but Hemp. Could this be the confusion?

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 2 of 54
latest reply

CBD has been legalized by the signing of the 2018 Farm Bill

Legality has nothing to do with being permitted on eBay. The There are many legal products that are prohibited here.

there's no reason why my accounts should've been banned

Schedule 1 substances are prohibited on eBay. As of September some CBD products were moved from schedule 1 to schedule 5 .... but only if that product has received FDA approval. Did the specific products in your listings receive FDA approval?

Message 3 of 54
latest reply

I think eBay requires you the seller to be approved to sell these products on the ebay.com site.  

Also I have never hear of eBay suspending sellers for first offense?  They usually have a couple steps of removal and or restrictions on your account before suspension happens.

It is possible they are linking other accounts to your business account and those other accounts have a history of violations.

eBay does not have to accept the 2018 farm bill finding.  They can make there own rules.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 4 of 54
latest reply

Also your listings say joint pain relief and I do not think you can make a claim of healing legally unless the FDA has approved that item for that cure.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 5 of 54
latest reply

I love all these people tossing the "it's legal now because of the Farm Bill" when it's clear they have not actually read and understood what the 2018 Farm Bill says about Industrial Hemp and CBD derived from it.

Message 6 of 54
latest reply

We can clearly see the manufacture label saying in the OP listings that the product is a Topical for muscles and joints or soothing serum, but the OP extended that use to include Pain Relief.

I am sorry to see an 18 year veteran like the OP get suspended but you would think they would know some of the most basic things about marketing there products?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 7 of 54
latest reply

I tried to avoid the word CBD in case that got the listing flagged. clearly that didn't help.
Message 8 of 54
latest reply

Very true, they ban all sorts of other things that are legal. I've definitely noticed that.

Product did not receive FDA approval. So you're right on that account. But neither have ANY of the other CBD products on ebay. Only 1 product has received that level of approval so far, and it wouldn't be able to be sold on ebay since it's a prescription drug.

So by that ruling all CBD products on ebay should be taken down.
Message 9 of 54
latest reply

@skater252000 wrote:
I tried to avoid the word CBD in case that got the listing flagged. clearly that didn't help.

Clearly that didn't hemp

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 10 of 54
latest reply

I didn't notice that. But you think ebay would just warn us and tell us to fix it. not ban us completely.
Message 11 of 54
latest reply

well it's certainly more legal than before the farm bill signing. But if we go exactly by the farm bill rules then none of the CBD products on ebay should be allowed to be sold.
Message 12 of 54
latest reply

@skater252000 wrote:
Very true, they ban all sorts of other things that are legal. I've definitely noticed that.

Product did not receive FDA approval. So you're right on that account. But neither have ANY of the other CBD products on ebay. Only 1 product has received that level of approval so far, and it wouldn't be able to be sold on ebay since it's a prescription drug.

So by that ruling all CBD products on ebay should be taken down.

If you want to search google for ebay banned items, somewhere in the policy it talks about in some instances these items can be sold but the seller needs to be approved and agree to certian conditions.  Maybe that will be helpful to you?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 13 of 54
latest reply

Those weren't my products. those are examples of products that are currently being sold with no issues!

Message 14 of 54
latest reply

@skater252000 wrote:
I didn't notice that. But you think ebay would just warn us and tell us to fix it. not ban us completely.

Yes I agree.  I have not heard of eBay suspending on first offense?  You mentioned you have other accounts that eBay linked and also suspended so there is a very good chance those other acocunts already had violations against them?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 15 of 54
latest reply