cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moral Outrage From Resellers on Social Media After eBays "Kick A$$ Deals" Promotion Yesterday

So Incase you didn't notice, eBay had a promotion yesterday and used the phrase "kick ass deals" in the ad. Last night there was outrage over this in a reseller group on Facebook saying things like it's "unprofessional" like this was some kind of poor advertising. The post in question received over 1000 comments from people with opinions from both sides of the argument.
 Moral.jpg

Let's take a look at a few things

Our grandparents remember a time when everyone thought the world was coming to an end when Elvis Presley came on stage swinging his hips. Now we have Miley Cyrus on stage half naked riding blow up dolls. Gary Vaynerchuk drops F bombs left and right. I'd like to see someone worth their salt try to tell him he's doing it wrong.

I mean, what makes a bad word bad anyway? To me personally, words can only be bad if they're used in a derogatory way to intentionally offend someone. The way eBay used it in their promotion was meant to offend anyone and I'm pretty sure almost all kids heard kick ass more than once if not in their house, on TV or the radio.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people who would take offense to what eBay said in the promotion probably aren't shopping online anyway. We live in a different age now and need to just accept that things don't stay the same. I'm actually glad they tried something different. Anything that may help drive more sales to the platform is ok by me.

What are your thoughts on this? 

Now let's all get back to business and get some "kick ass" sales!
My goal is live each day a little better than the last.
Message 1 of 99
latest reply
98 REPLIES 98

Moral Outrage From Resellers on Social Media After eBays "Kick A$$ Deals" Promotion Yesterday

I completely understand the outrage and I agree, the ad was unprofessional.

but why isn’t anyone making a big deal out of the false “free shipping always” statement on that ad? Also, eBay is running a radio commercial where they also say shipping is always free. Why no backlash over that?

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 99
latest reply

Totally agree, Jen.  The "kick ass" part is unprofessional and a bit immature (my opinion).

But the "free shipping always" is a down right LIE.  Yet somehow the word 'ass' has completely hidden that from public outrage.

::shrugs::

~M

Message 3 of 99
latest reply

More threads going on this.

Seems to be a common thing now in advertising. It was pointed out in one of the threads that a google search will get many returns.

I personally find it to be unnecessary.

Message 4 of 99
latest reply

Just because we live in a world where Miley Cyrus is on stage half naked riding blow up dolls doesn`t mean everyone is on board with it. Sure, I can change the channel etc. if I see something I don`t like but that`s exactly the point.......how many are changing the channel? When ebay runs these ads they aren`t only representing ebay but also it`s sellers and as a seller, I am not only representing myself but also ebay. Alienating potential customers can`t be a good thing. False advertising of "shipping is always free" isn`t a good thing either. Just my opinion.
"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 5 of 99
latest reply

Yes, a little unprofessional but to be outraged over it is outrageous. Next people will be protesting in the streets. The world is getting wackier every day over trivial stuff.

Message 6 of 99
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Yes, a little unprofessional but to be outraged over it is outrageous. Next people will be protesting in the streets. The world is getting wackier every day over trivial stuff.

Yep, I agree, the world is getting wackier all the time. 

Especially considering it acceptable to falsely advertise products and/or services and to use questionable language when addressing the general public, minors and us old folk who take offense at rudeness and just plain bad manners.  Yep, the world is getting wackier.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 99
latest reply

Moral outrage from that word.

I have more outrade over some of the disgusting things being sold on ebay.

Message 8 of 99
latest reply

@craig_daub wrote:
So Incase you didn't notice, eBay had a promotion yesterday and used the phrase "kick ass deals" in the ad.

What are your thoughts on this? 

Yes. We noticed. And here are a bunch of members' thoughts . . .

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Kick-ss-Deals-Really-Ebay/td-p/28744699

Message 9 of 99
latest reply

Maybe it's unprofessional but really why get your butt bent out of shape over it. People like this like attention. If she has such a problem with it she can quit coming to the site. Other people are also free to do the same, or ignore it, or do whatever else they might please. Imagine how bland the world would be if everything was whitewashed down to not offend the most sensitive of people. 

It reminds me of a thread where a poster was complaining about some religiously offensive (to her) art and she wanted eBay to ban it. That's her opinion. Why should we all have to abide by it. I might not always like it, but we are given certain freedoms of expression, to do away with that would be dangerous.

And of course, this is just my opinion. 🙂

Message 10 of 99
latest reply

In my opinion, the ad is unprofessional and also in my opinion - very un-ebay and shows just how desperate ebay is for sales.

ebay is a site that is catering to ALL buyers, that means that you have to consider all the people and their reactions and feelings.  For example - Why did ebay ban the Confederate Flag?  Why is there an Adult section?

The very reasons for that happening is the very reason the word @ss is in poor taste and might have run off all the Christian Conservatives and the money they spend in an effort to look cool to the millenials who ignore ebay like it's mom and dad's closet.

(*Bleep*)
Message 11 of 99
latest reply

I am a conservative older woman and if I were that prudish about kick - ass I would not be buying on here.  Far much worse going on thay would have turned me off long before.

Message 12 of 99
latest reply

Sorry folks - I'm an oldster and the wording doesn't upset me - maybe because my family is blue collar - maybe because I don't sweat the small stuff anymore and hate the PC revolution - but the "free shipping" does concern me.

Message 13 of 99
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Sorry folks - I'm an oldster and the wording doesn't upset me - maybe because my family is blue collar - maybe because I don't sweat the small stuff anymore and hate the PC revolution - but the "free shipping" does concern me.

Quite frankly, I use the @ss word, mentally, quite often and out loud, upon occasion, in the company of those I know and from whom I can be sure will take it in the vein in which it was meant.

In a commercial announcement, it isn't being used among one's 'buds' or 'click' or group - it is being used, without discretion, to the general public, at large.  It is being used by a corp. that wants to be known as the go-to for one-and-all, but displays a serious lack of class, tact, discretion and decorum.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 14 of 99
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

I see your point. I`m not outraged by it. I dislike the PC stuff myself and think it has gone overboard. I have said and heard it all. I just believe both ads were a dumb move on ebays part and think they could have done better to represent all of us and to help make us some money.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 15 of 99
latest reply