cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Money Orders

I use managed payments.  I potential buyer is asking to pay with a money order.  Does eBay allow this?  If so, I would be ok with that.  Thanks! Pat

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Money Orders

"Listings in one of our approved categories may offer the following additional payment options:
Money orders"

See

Approved categories:

at the link

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/payment-policies/accepted-payments-policy?id=4269&mkevt=1&mkcid=1...

I don't think collectable sports cards are covered.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@wesk_36 wrote:

"Listings in one of our approved categories may offer the following additional payment options:
Money orders"

See

Approved categories:

at the link

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/payment-policies/accepted-payments-policy?id=4269&mkevt=1&mkcid=1...

I wonder what approved categories allow money orders?...the policy page doesn't say....

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

No. Unless you are using Local Pickup.

Here's why.

When eBay started, before Paypal, before even BillPoint, buyers sent cash, personal cheques, Candian Tire Money, pukka shells, certified cheques, and money orders happily.

Money orders were not all that popular with buyers because they cost money (about $3.00 at the time) and of course they were slow.

Sellers liked them because they were as good as cash and the buyer could not stop payment (unlike cheques)  but of course, they were slow.

Western Union had a great idea.

They sent emails to the recipients when the buyer bought and posted a money order in their shops.

Problem solved.

The MO was on its way, so the seller could ship faster.  Often the MO and the purchase arrived the same day.

But.

Scammers figured out how to fake the WU* emails.

Now sellers got what they thought was confirmation from a solid source (WU) and shipped.

Only to learn that no MO had been purchased and they were out their product and the payment.

EBay soon banned MOs and personal cheques (which bounce, but that was a different problem) and introduced BillPoint their inhouse payment processor.

They soon bought Paypal from Elon Musk, and over widespread complaints replaced BillPoint. (sound familiar?).

Also, with the exception of postal money orders,  there were a lot of counterfeits being received by sellers.

*Note that Western Union was innocent in all of this. They were caught unawares just like eBay and its sellers.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

@wesk_36 wrote:

Money orders"

See

Approved categories:

at the link

I wonder what approved categories allow money orders?...the policy page doesn't say....

It does if you click on the +

a.JPG

on the policy page.

It's like magic, opens up a whole new world.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Nice, thank you.

I never knew the Plus in the circle was something clickable....

Message 6 of 6
latest reply