cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misuse of Return Reasons

Good morning

I am hopeful, based on senior staff comments, that the spring update addresses these type of returns with further seller protections:

Reason for return: Doesn't work or defective
Comments: Hello, The case is very flimsy for my child. I would like to imitate a return.

Unfortunately, sellers like us deal with these return reasons that damage our seller metrics leading to the higher % fee threshold.  This is a "Just didnt like it" return reason and not a "defective" reason. Either way our returns are free so using a false reason only damages a seller account.

Maybe just a "report it" that can get it struck through with A.I. software. Im sure its a great deal of back end work, but will keep the marketplace fair for both parties. 

Just my thoughts.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Misuse of Return Reasons

I doubt they will change the MBG rules to allow defective, doesn't work, or poor quality items.  

Sorry.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

Misuse of Return Reasons

Sorry you are experiencing problem buyers like this. Sadly, there isn't really a way to stop it.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Misuse of Return Reasons

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

I doubt they will change the MBG rules to allow defective, doesn't work, or poor quality items.  

Sorry.

But the problem here is in order to get the seller to pay for the return, many buyers are falsely claiming the item is defective when it is not. This is an issue that has to be addressed. Maybe a fixed return shipping fee based on the original shipping fee. I am pretty sure there will be far less returns if buyers knew they had to pay to return the items. They will take more time to make sure they are buying the right thing. 

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Misuse of Return Reasons

@slati_2013 wrote:

Sorry.

But the problem here is in order to get the seller to pay for the return, many buyers are falsely claiming the item is defective when it is not. This is an issue that has to be addressed. Maybe a fixed return shipping fee based on the original shipping fee. I am pretty sure there will be far less returns if buyers knew they had to pay to return the items. They will take more time to make sure they are buying the right thing. 

No matter what kind of return shipping fees a seller charges, a buyer can still get away with returning an item because it is not as described or what not and the seller would be forced to pay shipping. It doesn't matter if they don't offer returns or if there is some big banner in their listing saying that buyers have to pay to return items.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 5 of 46
latest reply

Misuse of Return Reasons

@slati_2013 wrote:

Sorry.

As far as paying for return shipping, seller offers free returns, so there was no need for the buyer to lie about the reason.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

Misuse of Return Reasons

The old times when buyers would assume responsibility for their failure to ask questions before buying are gone. That is plain and simple as sugar giving you diabetes. 

latest reply

Misuse of Return Reasons

Unfortunately - even with free returns - buyers do lie about the reason. I know Ebay had hoped to eliminate that but they haven't and each of those SNADs count against our seller metrics.

A policy where they would have to show that an item is indeed defective like other sites have - would be preferable - but we'll never see that here.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

Misuse of Return Reasons

sellers like us deal with these return reasons that damage our seller metrics leading to the higher % fee threshold. 

Now why would ebay change that ?  (underline mine)

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 9 of 46
latest reply

Misuse of Return Reasons

@slati_2013 wrote:

Sorry.

I understand there are those who falsely claim SNAD so they don't have to pay return shipping.  That is a valid concern.  But to many, there is no such thing as a legitimate return, whether they take returns or whether it is a true SNAD, and thus all may be fought.  I have no answers.  In the case of defective, there is no way to take a picture to show something isn't working.  

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

Misuse of Return Reasons

@escuintla wrote:

The old times when buyers would assume responsibility for their failure to ask questions before buying are gone. That is plain and simple as sugar giving you diabetes. 

While many don't accept responsibility on either side, I believe there are buyers who do.

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

Misuse of Return Reasons

There are some who do and I'm grateful to those buyers - but there are many more now here that don't and why a % of false returns supposedly had to be built into the seller metrics because Ebay knows many buyers aren't truthful. Sometimes you have to walk in a person's shoes to experience what they have.

Since I'm both a buyer and a seller - I see both sides.

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

Misuse of Return Reasons

@escuintla wrote:

While many don't accept responsibility on either side, I believe there are buyers who do.

Castle, shouldn't that be "buyers and sellers who do."  

I accept, and always have, responsibility for every issue that results from something I've done.  I don't think I am in the minority in that regard.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 13 of 46
latest reply

Misuse of Return Reasons

Hi, Select! Boy, this is really an accomplishment: 2018 Small Business Of The Year Shine Awards Finalist. Keep up the good work! Hopefully your suggestions here about returns will be considered since eBay recently claimed they are upping their seller protections. I am waiting for the seller protections "road map" which has not been advertised yet. Again, kudos for all of those sales.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 14 of 46
latest reply

Misuse of Return Reasons

@tunicaslot wrote:

Unfortunately - even with free returns - buyers do lie about the reason. I know Ebay had hoped to eliminate that but they haven't and each of those SNADs count against our seller metrics.

A policy where they would have to show that an item is indeed defective like other sites have - would be preferable - but we'll never see that here.

Yes, unfortunately you are correct, but for me, since I started offering free returns, no return has been claimed as defective. They've all been for remorse. Before that, I had false defective reasons given.

Message 15 of 46
latest reply