cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message says buyer expects delivery on Tuesday for Item paid on Friday. Parcel Select.

I went to print the postage label today (Saturday) for an item bought last night in my store.  I'm shipping it Monday.  But when I go to print out the label,  Ebay is presenting a new look in that process.  I've never seen this screen before.  And on that screen is the message "Buyer expects this item to be delivered by Tuesday June 26."  What the hell is that?  Is that from Ebay or the buyer?  And what meaning should it have for me?  I mean, this is Parcel Select.  I'm not required to ship on Saturday and it's my only day off.  I don't get up early to make the post office by Noon.  I ship items bought on Friday on Monday like just about every other seller.    It wouldn't have gotten there on Tuesday even if I shipped it this morning.  Even PRIORITY MAIL wouldn't get it there overnight.  Can somebody tell me what this **bleep** is all about?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Message says buyer expects delivery on Tuesday for Item paid on Friday. Parcel Select.

Thank you.  I"ll look for the tab.  As you can see in my update below with the new screen I can't de-select Parcel Select and upgrade to Priority.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I had one that was paid on the 19th, and with 2 day handling I had to ship by the 21st but it said my "buyer expects this by the 23rd". FCP across the country in 2 days. Yeah, right. What happened to the 3 days to deliver FCP?

The message is from eBay btw not the buyer.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Oh and you can go back to the old page by clicking the back to classic view link.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

something else.  My God did Ebay make the postage label system messed up with their latest changes.  Have you seen the new look they have?   Check this out:  On many of my listings I offer both Parcel Select and Priority in my listings.  The customer will often choose Parcel Select because it is slightly cheaper.   But what they don't know is that sellers get a sizeable postage discount for Priority and it makes it possible to upgrade their shipping.    So I'll manually change it to Priority and Presto!  The customer is happy that they get it sooner.  But guess what?   The new check-out screen for buying postage has no mechanism to change the method of shipping!!! For example, for this item, I want to look at the cost for Priority for the package and select it.  Ebay won't let me!  There's no box to select or de-select.  I can choose Parcel Select or a USPS box.  No other selections allowed.  You idiots.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thank you.  I"ll look for the tab.  As you can see in my update below with the new screen I can't de-select Parcel Select and upgrade to Priority.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Thanks I was able to switch back and upgrade the customer's shipment to Priority.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thank you, found the tab, was able to switch back to classic view and upgrade the customer's shipping to Priority

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

To me, the New (and NOT improved) shipping page looks like a mashed up version of USPS click and ship and the "calculate a price" page on USPS.com.

What was wrong with the old page? It works just fine TYVM eBay.

Plus you've taken away the ability to change the ship from zipcode AND the message to buyer box.

Does anyone who mandates these changes actually USE the &^%$ site?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:
I had one that was paid on the 19th, and with 2 day handling I had to ship by the 21st but it said my "buyer expects this by the 23rd". FCP across the country in 2 days. Yeah, right. What happened to the 3 days to deliver FCP?

I'm wondering if that's a coding botch, where the page is showing you the estimated delivery date for your ZIP code rather than the buyer's ZIP code.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I wonder if it is because the more the buyer pays for shipping, the more ebay gets.  If so, it would behoove ebay to take out the ability to do a change to save the buyer money - bottom line, and all, ya know.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:

Of course they don't. If they had to actually use this stuff, it wouldn't be screwed up.

There are reasons why I use stamps.com.  This is one of them.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@lookng2015 wrote:

Of course they don't. If they had to actually use this stuff, it wouldn't be screwed up.

There's very little indication that the designers and coders understand how the site works, and a lot of evidence to suggest that they don't. Couple that with an evident failure to do any peer review, QA or release testing of new code before putting it into production, and this is what you get: problem after problem (the most recent fiasco being just this weekend, where GTC listings began losing their photos for no apparent reason).

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@lookng2015 wrote:

I'm wondering if that's a coding botch, where the page is showing you the estimated delivery date for your ZIP code rather than the buyer's ZIP code.

I changed, on Friday, to 5-day handling for vacation.   On Friday night, I checked my listings and saw that I could expect delivery of an item (First Class) from Monday, July 2 through Friday, July 6.  

Yes, I realize it was looking at my zip code but I'm still scratching my head, trying to figure out how I mail something to myself on Monday, July 2 (5 business days after Friday, June 22) and receive it on Monday, July 2.

And what would the buyer see with this new "Expect Delivery On ..." nonsense that is now being generated when a mailing label is printed?  The date range or the first date?

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote: 
Yes, I realize it was looking at my zip code but I'm still scratching my head, trying to figure out how I mail something to myself on Monday, July 2 (5 business days after Friday, June 22) and receive it on Monday, July 2.

Just so we're clear here... I'm not suggesting that you're misunderstanding the delivery estimate that always shows date and cost to your ZIP code, such as what you'd see on the Shipping and Handling tab of any of your own listings. I'm talking specifically about that message you quoted: "Buyer expects this by the 23rd." That sounds like a coding error to me. 

In a sold transaction, there are two ZIP codes available for the web code to find: the seller's ZIP and the buyer's ZIP. (Okay, there's also a seller's Ship From ZIP and a buyer's alternate address ZIP, but let's just keep things simple here.) In a perfect world, the code would look at the buyer's ZIP code, mash in your stated Handling time along with the historical data on how long things take to go from your ZIP code to the buyer's ZIP code, and burp out an estimated delivery date, which is then dropped into that Buyer Expects This By message and shown to you.

What I'm suggesting here is that instead of the code obtaining buyer.ZIP_Code, it's accidentally picking up seller.ZIP_Code instead, and calculating the time required for you to ship it to yourself. Just that one error can produce the result you're quoting to us here.

Disclaimer: I'm making this a lot simpler than it could be, and I do not have access to eBay code; I'm just making a best-guess diagnosis based on my own experience with similar coding problems. Your Mileage May Vary. Batteries Not Included. Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear (unless this is an eBay mirror, in which case they will take a week longer to get here).

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

@lookng2015 wrote:

I changed, on Friday, to 5-day handling for vacation.   On Friday night, I checked my listings and saw that I could expect delivery of an item (First Class) from Monday, July 2 through Friday, July 6.  

If a buyer purchased an item from you Friday night, 5 day handling would mean that you would mail the item the following Friday, not the Monday after that.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply