cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Mail Shipping.....must be listed in correct category.

Does everyone but me know that a book must be listed in a book category in order to use Media Mail?  I recently sold a sewing book, listed it in a sewing category but it is a book.  I was not allowed to use Media Mail to ship it because it was not listed in a category eBay allows for Media Mail.  

I could choose Media Mail as a shipping option when I listed it, but when it came to the actual shipping, I must use Parcel Select or Priority Mail, no Media Mail allowed, even though Media Mail was "buyer selected".

Didn't cost me too much because it was not a really heavy book, thank goodness!  Where in eBay's fine print is that rule?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Media Mail Shipping.....must be listed in correct category.

Not sure what kind of replies you expect.  I've been selling books for almost as long as rare matchbooks and coins and always use the book category for books.  Glad you didn't get dinged too much.  Funny thing about smaller lightweight books is that if they are under three ounces I usually upgrade the shipping to 1st class in a bubble envelope rather than use media mail when I do the original listing.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I was just thinking that if the book had weighed 5 lbs. it could have been very expensive to ship.  I didn't realize that an item had to be listed in any specific category to use Media Mail.  I have never abused the Media Mail rules, but sometimes other categories are more productive than books.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

This is a recent unannounced change (sometime in the past year) that eBay has implemented when they revamped the eBay labels page. You can purchase Media Mail postage via post office for situations like this or use a 3rd party postage provider. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Whether the buyer selected Media Mail or not, still doesn't make it, or mean it is, a 'legal' option for the seller to use.  Perhaps ebay is trying to help you avoid ticking off the USPS, since there seem to be a percentage of sellers who use Media Mail when they sell things like a shirt with writing on it or an iron stone plate with a motto.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

In cases like that you can go directly to PayPal and print a Media mail label there.

www.paypal.com/shipnow

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

A book on sewing certainly does belong in the sewing category. I run into this a lot. It may be because eBay sees too many sellers misusing media mail, but they could easily train their bots to sniff out this kind of misuse, if they wanted to, rather than blocking the label. 

Either way, the easy work around, is buying the media label elsewhere. I use PirateShip, but there are others you can use, or even the counter at the post office. There is absolutely nothing wrong with sending a qualifying item media mail. Just be sure you know what DOES qualify for media mail. USPS is pretty strict on the rules. AND media mail is subject to inspection at any point (opening the package to verify). 

Some sellers abuse media mail, and I have no issue opening a package I KNOW is sent with media mail that does not qualify, in front of postal employees, so they can file a report. Every seller that abuses it, deserves to get dinged. Just like the people that use priority packaging products, that don't use them properly. WE all complain about rate hikes, abuse of the mail is one contributing factor. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

It's the USPS rules. If it has any advertising in it, it's not permitted. Doesn't matter how old it is.

They are cracking down on it because of the abuse. I know a person who used to use it to send motor cycle parts!

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

It's the USPS rules. If it has any advertising in it, it's not permitted

@marinermikes 

Yes, most of us know the rules for using media mail.  I seriously doubt ebay or USPS knows if there is advertising in the OPs BOOK in order to allow it to be selected as an option and then block a subsequent label.  

Every time I have any sort of "label drama" I simply go and print one someplace else. Saves time and aggravation.  I use PirateShip as well. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

"Yes, most of us know the rules for using media mail. "

And apparently less than 30% of people driving know the rules of the road...

I sell books from as far back as the early 1800's and use MM almost exclusively.   If a book buyer adds a small trinket or lightweight thin item that brings the combined shipping high enough I switch the postage  over to 1st class with tracking. 

The creative sellers are shipping boxes with... oh, wait, I can't write that here. 

People living on the edge who go to sleep hungry might game any system temporarily to survive.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

you can go to the PO and purchase your shipping there and then enter the tracking number.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

That is correct, if a book is in a different category than books, even if the category is completely appropriate for the book, you cannot use media rate. What I did in those cases was to purchase media postage via Paypal, a bit of a PITA but it can save money.

YMMV

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

The free service PirateShip is a superior solution.  Just say it qualifies for media mail and you get the rate.  PS is superior in every way to eBay shipping and only occasionally is higher priced on some flat rates; then I use eBay.  THE BIG THING ABOUT PS IS THAT YOU CAN PAY VIA CREDIT CARD!!  With eBay constantly chipping away at our profit margins, I like getting the 1.5% that my credit card gives back. 

One click copies the tracking number to upload easily into eBay.  You can copy/paste the buyer address into PS from eBay.  Really easy and nice.  Offers insurance, signature, etc.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply