cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Markdown Manager update means no sales for 14 days

I try to keep sales going all of the time. I normally increase my discounts once a week by copying the sale and increasing the discount and relauching the new one. I have several sales going on at all times. The longer I have an item on ebay the bigger the discount becomes. This week I did my normal 5% increase in the sale and ended up with nothing on sale instead of everything on sale. If ebay is going to make changes that stop sellers sales they should also compensate them for their lost revenue. When I called support they said it was because of buyer complaints and said overall sales were down on ebay.

It amazes me that nobody is saying the reason the sales are down is because the sellers are being forced to sell other places to make any money and the buyers are following them.

If ebay wants to stop the downward spiral they will need to learn to be seller friendly. It's almost like they don't realize without sellers there is no revenue.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Markdown Manager update means no sales for 14 days

Hopefully this will increase sales for everyone!

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

What about those us being proactive and changing all of our prices yesterday. Nwo we cant put our stres on sale for 2 weeks. We are losing a ton of money and we didnt sit around complaining, we did something and it hurt us worse. Looka t our sales, look at our store. This is the worst weve done and this weird 14 day price change thing is killing us.

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

in reply to 07-04-2018 07:48:59 AM
brian.t@ebay

I'm happy to let everyone know that because of the feedback we heard from members of the Community, we no longer require 14 days after an item is removed from a markdown sale before it can be placed on sale again. Please go here for more information Smiley Happy

If any members response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and one member's response resolved your question, please click 'Accept as Solution.' More on Accepted Solutions.

Message 13 of 15

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

This doesnt answer my question.  Not sure if you didnt read or didnt understand it.

Some of us with big stores, changed our prices based on ebays at the time policy. That policy changed again the next morning. It still affected some larger sellers like myself.

So we are still being penalized for not sitting on our hands while our sales went to nothing. Yet by acting we screwed ourselves?

Im not the only one in this predicament. Maybe ebay can take the entore change back and instead work with the community of sellers to roll something out that doesnt kill our business to then take it back after weve made changes. Im in the same boat of having 14 days to put stuff on sale. Is this my fault? Have I done anything but suffer through all of these changes and try and fall in line and put in work?

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

I'm happy to let everyone know that because of the feedback we heard from members of the Community, we no longer require 14 days after an item is removed from a markdown sale before it can be placed on sale again. Please go here for more information Smiley Happy

How nice. Unfortunately when you first implemented the original policy I was unable to run a sale so I took ebay's advice and bulk edited to lower all of my prices . So, now of course, I still can't run a sale for another 14 days.

I just don't understand why ebay couldn't implement the change ONLY for items where the price had been RAISED in the past 14 days.  It's not rocket science...

Message 20 of 46
latest reply

The problem is that you and I are real sellers. I can see your listings.  2 repliers here have 3000 responses and shares talking down to people and applauding ebays vague statements.  Its not hard for a sub conyracted company to steer the conversation and we see it happening in the news with russian trolls.  Im sure at some point, this will hit tech companies paying other companies to host boards but having people there to misdirect and cheerlead.  

Were not going to get anywhere here. We have real concerns and are losing thousands of dollars but are being sent the repated link to every post. Its very devious and you may have an easier toime calling ebay, which is sad to voice your concerns.  All I want to do is continue runing my business, Im willing to change but losing 70% of my sales instantly is obvious where the problem lies. And no trolls its not becasue I dont fall in line or work smart.  We changed our listings to be proactive to avoid lsoing all of our sales.  I do 1500, usually more since forever but definately all year until June. I had ne sale today from a well known repeat customer who almost writes us love letters in our feedback. We are also very fond of them.

The trolls just add insult to literal finnancial injury.

Message 21 of 46
latest reply

It's nice to be heard isn't it? 🙂  I thought of you right away when I heard this...Happy Sales!!

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

It will actually be longer than 2 weeks for us, for many listings. 

Think about it this way. We have to wait 2 weeks before we can run MM... but if you list daily, and list at 30 day durations - what is also going to happen over the next 2 weeks? Listings will end, and need to be relisted. So what happens then?  When they are relisted they are considered new listings, the 14 day clock will restart. So half the store may not be eligible for MM, for almost a month.

Since you already changed prices you may want to staret using GTC for relists. 

Message 23 of 46
latest reply

Well, Now I’m completely dumbfounded!

Where can one find the new policy?

Is it written?

This is what I understand from reading the vague discription of the change.

If an item is on sale one could enter that item into another sale within the 14 day period.

if a sale ends can that item be put on sale again immediately?

For a new listing can it immediately be put on sale or does one have to wait the 14 days?

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Did I cheat and raise the price a bit - yes

This is one reason Ebay made the change.

They don't want sellers to raise the price just to put the items on sale.

Have a great day
Message 25 of 46
latest reply

The captain of the eBay ship is apparently not bright enough to understand that this change would cause lost revenue for sellers (and eBay). Instead, policy, operational, and procedural changes are made and then if there is enough push back from the seller community, the change is reversed. This seems like a **bleep** way to do business and a terrible way to treat the sellers that make eBay possible.  Is this leadership?

Message 26 of 46
latest reply

Everything in our stores is already gtc. 4900+ listings. Weve got thousands of picture snad items ready to list but wont add anything until something is solid. With a store our size, all decades old new stuff, there are no msrp.  It comes from my brain not terapeak, that means nothing unless you want to follow someone and we are the leader in this category. People take our titles, descriptions, pictires, and item specifics, then under sell us by a few $. 

I frequently need to change prices as something sells too fast or slow.  We are the first people to put up certain thinsg that dont even show up on google at all. there is no precident for price.

Weve been growing and making money up until this month.  We cannot keep listing new items when the store isnt working. We were on target to easily surpass 500k, aiming for 600k.  With our 10 year growth and the specialized inventory we have, we could do a million in sales here alone next year even if we dont keep getting knocked backwards so some typical merchanidse can be priced in line with other goant retails. 

Im spending too much time here as this si the worst its ever been. I ran out of fingers to count on and almost no sales out of nowhere.

Ebay needs to roll this whole thing back, put it like it was so we can make money and pay them fees. Then perhaps include sellers in their planning so we dont get sidelined again. I know its their platform but their making it hard to do our jobs.

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

try it now...i went thru the same chaos. i saw a post from ebay earlier today..not an email or text, but it stated that the sales markdown manager was reverting back to the way it was, I tried it and it works. some still are not listed but this is possibly a positive in the right direction. They listened. We shall now see if they learned. Stay tuned- wouldn't it have been nice if they would have sent out emails/texts to provide all the affected and disgruntled sellers with some important news,
Message 28 of 46
latest reply

So True and Frustrating. Good Luck!!

Message 29 of 46
latest reply

Okay, maybe they are trying to fix this for us - please explain to me how we "add to a sale".

I USED to list every day and after listing a bunch, created a sale based on MSRP or standard ebay pricing.

So I have 30 day BINs on a sale rolling off almost every day.  

Now that they are rolling off their 30 day sales, how can I relist them (without changing anything) and add them to a sale?  So far, after relisting them and creating a sale, all items show 'skipped for price'.   

RE: (I'm happy to let everyone know that because of the feedback we heard from members of the Community, we no longer require 14 days after an item is removed from a markdown sale before it can be placed on sale again. Please go here for more information )

Message 30 of 46
latest reply