cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mandated international shipping = bye-bye ebay

Anonymous
Not applicable

I never sell internationally because it's too easy for someone to claim that the item never arrived (if the item is expensive, tracking can be purchased, but that doesn't work for cheap items). But now ebay is mandating that all sales are international ones. Bye-bye, ebay. You used to be a reputable company, but no more.

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Mandated international shipping = bye-bye ebay

I can't even...

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 46 of 78
latest reply

"you can also opt out of the program"

I *did* opt out of the program.  Only to later be opted back in by eBay's system.  I've opted out for a second time.  We'll see if that sticks or if eBay's system simply reverses it again periodically.

I despise all systems that default to opt-in, and force a use to opt out if they don't want to participate.  But a system that then un-does your opt-out and puts you back into a mode/program that you've tried to withdraw from??  Terrible.

Message 47 of 78
latest reply

I *did* opt out of the program.  Only to later be opted back in by eBay's system.  I've opted out for a second time.  We'll see if that sticks or if eBay's system simply reverses it again periodically.

I despise all systems that default to opt-in, and force a use to opt out if they don't want to participate.  But a system that then un-does your opt-out and puts you back into a mode/program that you've tried to withdraw from??  Terrible.

This is a new one. You do not have any items listed under this account so I am assuming it is a posting ID. Since you do not wish to sell internationally in addition to opting out of the program go into your account settings and under shipping preferences, exclude shipping locations, edit the international locations and  check every checkbox for every international location as well as the apply to current listings. Even if you are again opted back into the program it should exclude all of those countries. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1684493573679.png

dbfolks166mt_1-1684493591338.png

dbfolks166mt_2-1684493681638.png

Message 48 of 78
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I can't even...

Explaining it is increasingly like yelling at a mountain to move. I think I'll stop trying and graciously accept their customers as mine.

Message 49 of 78
latest reply

@tom.vial wrote:

The "system" may be reacting to your international shipping settings or lack thereof.  Do you have your Buyer Requirements set to block purchases from users with shipping addresses located in areas where you don't specify shipping?  Do you have your shipping exclusions set for non-US locations?

I ask because I'm in Canada and I can see four listings from you right now that I probably shouldn't be able to see or at least purchase from.  Three of them--likely ones where the program is in the process of being removed--simply say in search that you haven't specified a shipping rate to Canada.  The listing pages state that you "may not ship to Canada" but not that you won't.  I'm instructed to check the listing page and/or contact you for more information.  The fourth listing (one of the new ones) has an eBay International Shipping rate for Canada set up.

I'd be interested in what you see if you go to one of your listing pages and change your shipping location to Canada or some other country.  Don't worry about putting in an accurate postal/ZIP code for that country.

Message 50 of 78
latest reply

For Canada use postal code K1A 0A6-- That's our House of Commons in Ottawa ON.

Message 51 of 78
latest reply

@tom.vial wrote:

That is something that GSP certainly did to some sellers.  But if that happened to you in EIS, yours would be the first I've read about with this issue.  That isn't to say what you have said isn't true, simply that it is a new thing to me.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 52 of 78
latest reply

Auto-enrolling sellers in a program to sell international when clearly they do not wish to sell internationally by the fact they have never signed up for it is quasi mandatory when it is now the burden of the seller to unenroll themselves out of a program they did not enroll in and will have to wait up to 24 hours to see if the unenrollment actually went through or not go through because of some glitch.

There are a lot of "list it and forget it until someone buys it" hobby sellers that do not bother with international shipping for all the negative reasons already previously mentioned on site that might treat the email informing of their enrollment as just the regular spammy type like the ones suggesting price decreases, coupons for categories they don't buy in, items they think one is interested in, etc. They are going to be disappointed when they realize the item sold international and then have to worry about problems from a cancelation because they can't really use "problem with buyers address" as can be done now for a international buyer that manages to somehow get past all the don't ship internationally settings because they do, signed up unaware. 

Message 53 of 78
latest reply

You may wanna not ask stuff like this I made post saying the true about what eBay does . They recently removed my ability to promoted listings. So now I can’t make sales anymore because of apparently refunds wich the last return I did was someone who asked and before that it was another store who even gave me a negative review just because they’re also selling tcg so yeah be careful eBay is like a dictatorship 100% or they wouldn’t use made up claims and the late shipping is because of there international shipping also look at all the positive reviews it’s like they wanna make me fail 

Message 54 of 78
latest reply

Wow pccobbler you really touched a nerve on this topic. It's so good to see all the eBay Rockstar monitors willing to reply. I sure hope this isn't true they'll lose many sellers including me.   

Message 55 of 78
latest reply

They are going to be disappointed when they realize the item sold international and then have to worry about problems from a cancelation because they can't really use "problem with buyers address" as can be done now for a international buyer that manages to somehow get past all the don't ship internationally settings because they do, signed up unaware. 

------------------------------------------------------------

@holmaneva-2 

There is pretty much no need to "cancel" the sale.

The new program, EIS, takes the heat for any issues on an international sale. Seller just gets it to the domestic hub and they are done. 

Message 56 of 78
latest reply

I'd say that one thing that hasn't been brought up is, now that the program is in effect I am getting multiple international buyers trying to pressure me into lowering prices on my listing because they pay so much for shipping. To the point where there is little to no profit for me after all is said and done. I hate being rude to people, but I'm not interested in being bothered or harassed into changing my listing around to accommodate high shipping costs abroad that I don't control

Message 57 of 78
latest reply

OMG! How dumb am I to have not seen this International Policy being added to my store without my permission? No wonder I've been having issues with some of my listings - They enrolled me w/o a second glance at the types of items I sell (which have restrictions in other countries). Wow...Glad I read this post!!!

Message 58 of 78
latest reply

@the_bookshelf_life wrote:

I'd say that one thing that hasn't been brought up is, now that the program is in effect I am getting multiple international buyers trying to pressure me into lowering prices on my listing because they pay so much for shipping. To the point where there is little to no profit for me after all is said and done. I hate being rude to people, but I'm not interested in being bothered or harassed into changing my listing around to accommodate high shipping costs abroad that I don't control

@the_bookshelf_life 

That is something to just shake off.  You have NO responsibility to do that.  You don't set the pricing for shipping.  You don't have to be rude, just say NO.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 59 of 78
latest reply

Its not mandated.  You can go into your seller settings and shipping policies and set it so that you only sell domestically.  If you are talking about the new intl shipping deal, just opt out.  It sucks they auto-opt you in by default, but just go in and opt out.  Thats what I did.

Message 60 of 78
latest reply