cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Offer on Auction style listings

Wondering if anyone else is getting 'Make Offer' on their Auction style listing??

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@jnanaaw  I've seen the Reply with offer on messaged questions about items, I think Auctions too but would have to double check that next time I get a question on an Auction item.

Thus far, none of the Auctions here have had an offere levvied on them so apparently our settings are correct.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

It's been showing up now and then.  One of Corporate's 'better ideas'.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

I figured out why it is there, I think. I unchecked the Accepts Returns on some of my auctions and it automatically checked the box below it, which allows it to show Make Offer. Once I figured it out, I tried to revise and uncheck it, but it would not let me.
Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Hi, i’m assuming you mean you are getting an unsolicited offer? Sometimes a member will make an offer on my auction style listings. My usual reply is to thank them for their interest but that i want the auction to continue and then i invite them to bid. It’s totally up to you to consider ending a listing early to sell to them. However...

I especially get these unsolicited offers on nice designer goods where they hope to get a seller to end it to sell to them at a price much lower than what the auction will bring if it runs to completion. Sometimes they hope an inexperienced seller will take the offer and then they get a bargain. So you have to take circumstances into account, including if there are already bids. (There are rules to ending an auction.) http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Hi again, i should have checked. I see you are a Top Rated seller and not a newbie. So pardon my post. And for some reason, some glitch, there were no answers to your question until i posted my answer. Strange.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Considering that every bid on an item being sold at auction is an offer to buy at that amount, it would appear to have the best offer option would be a bit redundant.  Of course, unless the Best Offer option goes inactive after the first bid is placed, there could be legal issues.  I would advise any auction business owner or licensed auctioneer to be cautious about such things.  Alas!  The truth is that eBay is not always as knowledgeable regarding the laws governing as they should be.  While they may only be a venue, the seller could have to face the music for their errors in judgement.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 31
latest reply

wrote:

Considering that every bid on an item being sold at auction is an offer to buy at that amount, it would appear to have the best offer option would be a bit redundant.  Of course, unless the Best Offer option goes inactive after the first bid is placed, there could be legal issues.  I would advise any auction business owner or licensed auctioneer to be cautious about such things.  Alas!  The truth is that eBay is not always as knowledgeable regarding the laws governing as they should be.  While they may only be a venue, the seller could have to face the music for their errors in judgement.

You got that right. 

I'm not sure why anyone would bid though...

This is just a bad idea all the way around.  If the "problem" is high start listings that just get relisted forever without any bids, the solution is to charge for listings.  I don't see how something that will just cause less people to bid on auctions is supposed to reduce listings that don't get bids and don't sell. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Agreed.. i get this EVERYTIME i list good items. Its been getting extremely annoying all of the hawks that come out trying to screw me over bc I'm new.. doesnt mean im stupid tho geesh.. ebay really should do something about this.. turning me off for sure... Every item goes for much more than what they try to offer u for it. It must work for some sellers because i get it all the time! Want to cuss and be rude lol... karma is all i can say
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Why are they hawks for making an offer when you have best offer in your listings? It looks like you are inviting offers so they do. Blame eBay not the people using the system.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2017/10/1507693841.html

Is eBay Trying to Kill Auctions with Make Offer?

eBay has perplexed users by adding a Make an Offer haggling feature to auctions. The unannounced change is so disconcerting that some people who have noticed the feature are sure it is a glitch. But the feature appears to be eBay's way of signaling when it has determined that a starting bid on an auction is set too high.

Until this week, Best Offer was only available for fixed price listings and Classified Ad formats. A reader tipped us off to the change, and we found users buzzing about it on the eBay forums.

The reader said he and another seller tested the feature. One of them made an offer for less than opening bid, then the other placed a bid for the auction starting price. "His offer was automatically declined once I bid. After my bid was canceled the offer button was there again."

The appearance of the Make an Offer button to sellers' listings came as a surprise - eBay did not inform sellers. At least three different sellers we observed discussing the feature on the eBay boards said the feature appeared in their listings with no warning. Nor did eBay customer service reps or moderators monitoring the boards appear to know anything about the feature being available in auction listings.

However, one eBay user was told by a customer service rep:

"eBay applies Best Offer to over-priced listings to help increase their chances of selling. Best Offer is applied to auctions when the start price exceeds the recommended Buy it Now price. This only applies to Auctions, it does not apply to Auctions with a Buy it Now price.

"The trending price and recommended Buy it Now price is based on prices of similar listings sold on eBay over the past 90 days. Listings where the seller-selected auction start price is greater than the trending price are considered overpriced and will have Best Offer applied.

"Moving on, we currently do not have a way for sellers to remove Best Offer from auction listings. However, based on the Best Offer logic, if you reduce your auction start price to the recommended Buy it Now price or below, Best Offer will no longer appear on your listing.

"On the other hand, if you receive an offer that you don't want to accept there are a few options. You may reject the offer outright, counter the offer with a price that you would accept, or ignore the offer. If ignored, the offer will expire after 48 hours. I trust the information I have provided is helpful on your concern."

One seller reading the response from eBay was flabbergasted. "That's absolutely bleeped. I would expect offers to be ABOVE the starting price, kind of a formal "request a BIN price". They're really going to tell buyers that an auction is "overpriced"??? That's insane."

Another seller wrote, "I thought the purpose would be for the impatient buyer, who just wants to buy it now, to offer a HIGHER price than the opening bid. This would tie in with the current campaign to block off site transactions, as that could happen in that instance, and this would make it easier to keep it on site and for eBay to get its fees from a new revenue stream."

Interestingly we saw one auction with a starting bid of under $2.00 sporting a Make an Offer option. (We tested the feature and were unable to make an offer of less than 99 cents.)

Not only are sellers unable to remove the feature from their listings if eBay places it there, sellers say they can't find a way to add it to listings when it doesn't display.

In addition to the frustration of having the haggling feature foisted on their auction listings, sellers are upset at eBay's lack of communication. And one seller said they were disturbed about the fact that when they preview their listings, it doesn't show the Make an Offer feature, but it appears once they post the listing.

The EcommerceBytes reader pointed out that the feature could prove annoying to buyers and could hurt auctions. "The real bids don't come in until an auction is closer to ending. If I come to bid an hour before I know an item was scheduled to end, only to find the seller accepted an offer a day or two earlier, I'm going to be upset. The more that happens, the more people will avoid auctions. There is still a place for auctions."
Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@jnanaaw  I've seen the Reply with offer on messaged questions about items, I think Auctions too but would have to double check that next time I get a question on an Auction item.

Thus far, none of the Auctions here have had an offere levvied on them so apparently our settings are correct.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Uh nooo... first two auctions on accident yes... fixed... now ppl use shipping questions as an excuse to ask if i will end early and sell to them... u sound like one of them too
Message 12 of 31
latest reply

No everyone i've been getting offers in buyers own words ... will u end early? Do u have a buy it price in mind so i can purchase now? Anyone who sells any good collectibles that get over 100 views in first 24 hours knows what im talking about.. the vultures come out and try to take advantage... like i didnt know i selected AUCTION not FIXED PRICE.. come on already... they offer 200 it ends up going for 600-700 in the very last minute.. must work on some ppl... again ebay should ban this practice

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@jerespr0 wrote:
Uh nooo... first two auctions on accident yes... fixed... now ppl use shipping questions as an excuse to ask if i will end early and sell to them... u sound like one of them too

Wow you seem awfully standoffish. I hope you don't speak to potential customers this way...

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@jerespr0 wrote:

No everyone i've been getting offers in buyers own words ... will u end early? Do u have a buy it price in mind so i can purchase now? Anyone who sells any good collectibles that get over 100 views in first 24 hours knows what im talking about.. the vultures come out and try to take advantage... like i didnt know i selected AUCTION not FIXED PRICE.. come on already... they offer 200 it ends up going for 600-700 in the very last minute.. must work on some ppl... again ebay should ban this practice

"Some examples

Mary has found the perfect dinner set for a party she wishes to host at her brand new home. Unfortunately, the auction-style listing will not end for another 6 days and the party is this weekend! Mary decides to e-mail the seller directly with an offer to buy the dinnerware immediately and directly from the seller and obtain overnight shipping for the item. By emailing the seller directly with an offer to purchase, Mary is in violation of the Transaction interference policy."

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/rules-policies-buyers/interfering-transactions-policy?id=4226&st=...

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 15 of 31
latest reply