cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of promotion ability

I'm misplaced a sold item and contacted the buyer and canceled the lot. I Eventually found it and contacted the buyer again and he purchased again. eBay has taken away my ability to promote auctions because of this. I don't understand.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Loss of promotion ability

All of the coins and cards that I sell are sent in envelopes and are nonmachinable. I pay extra postage But they have to be handled by hand and I have discovered that most take 7 to 14 days for the Post Office 2 deliver.  I have ignorantly let eBay issue the refund. Giving the Post Office as much time is possible to facilitate the delivery that was paid for. And the buyer the time to report the lot delivered.

Message 31 of 41
latest reply

There ya go.....NEVER let eBay issue the refund.  When you get an INR, immediately note the date they give you to resolve it, and then issue the refund yourself THE DAY BEFORE THAT DATE.  Whether it's still on it's way to be delivered, or the buyer has promised to let you know or whatever, is irrelevant.

You may want to consider First Class Large Envelope for your coins - costs a little more than non-machinable but gets there faster and more consistently. $1.35 for the first ounce, $1.59 for 1-2 ounces.  You may get the hairy eyeball at the PO for requesting this, but just tell them, "hey, I'm the customer here, I know what I want."

Message 32 of 41
latest reply

That is the lesson I am learning from the community. that is sad however. 

Message 33 of 41
latest reply

Just a little improvement, and you will be out of "below standard". Just need to get under that .50%

keep up the sales. 

Again, how soon before a defect drops off? 

I only have one cancel, but with my sales way lower than yours I am teetering on the edge of losing my "top rated"

Message 34 of 41
latest reply

I plan to call customer service on Monday and try to negotiate some form of reprieve. But my next review is on December 20th.

Message 35 of 41
latest reply

About half the time somebody gets something you already refunded them for, you can work something out with them and not be sad.  I've even had buyers who got a refund, then got the item, and gladly bought another similar item at double the regular price just so everyone made out even.  ALWAYS issue INR refunds sooner than later, and work things out with your buyer after the fact.  And don't be sad about this, there are enough other things to be sad about when selling (or trying to sell) on eBay.

Message 36 of 41
latest reply

highly unlikely that there is anything that eBay will do.

They may sympathize with you, but it is what it is. Standards, although in error, were not met.

I believe your intentions were good, but bending the rules to adjust for errors is not generally something that eBay does.

Those that you speak with are likely not in a position to reverse any actions.

You were already in trouble before the last defect.  4 of was not much better than 5 of.

Message 37 of 41
latest reply

What jack said.  Don't waste your time trying to talk your way out of this one.  It won't happen.  Keep your head down, push forward, the defects will roll off your rap sheet eventually.

Message 38 of 41
latest reply

@rgbsr65 wrote:

I plan to call customer service on Monday and try to negotiate some form of reprieve. But my next review is on December 20th.

You'll be wasting your time - there isn't a reprieve on any of this. eBay is a megacorp with millions upon millions of sellers - they don't have the resources to examine each situation where seller might mess up and then craft some kind of carve-out for them - they draw the line and that's it. Sometimes it doesn't feel fair, but it's the price we pay for the big name and world-wide reach.

Your best way forward is the one we've mentioned - but first brush up on eBay's metrics. Hopefully your December review will have some defects falling off. But in any case, perseverance and consistency, and list your very best items. Take some of your non-sellers and rejig the listings to make them fresh and new, then relist the stuff.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 39 of 41
latest reply

What the black hat said. And while you're refurbishing some of your non-sellers and rejigging the listings to make them fresh and new, rejig your prices up a little bit to make them fresh and new just for fun, and then relist the stuff.  You'd be surprised how a little price bump makes stuff look better.  And you'll feel like you're winning, or at least getting compensated for your trouble.

Message 40 of 41
latest reply

@rgbsr65 wrote:

Promotions make a big difference when you are competing with dozens of other sellers for the same customers. And you want them to see you're lot before others.

LOL....  well..... that is ONLY based on the buyer receiving the item.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 41 of 41
latest reply