cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for professional seller opinions - Sure I'm a moron.

Being relatively skilled in another profession, I'm well-aware of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

So on that note: I'm dipping my toes into serious ebay selling and I have a business plan that I think seems good - but as a newbie, I'm sure I'm missing unseen pitfalls due to my ignorance.

I've sold random stuff on ebay for a while - things I have around the house, got for cheap, from friends, from deceased relatives at either no or low cost. After that stuff ran out, I made a few handmade goods and sold those for a decent profit - at very least my materials cost + time.

However, I've decided to get into retail - I already have all the legal stuff - a business entity, tax papers, and connections to some distributors, etc. I've found a few niche key items that are low volume, but decent profit - since the vast majority of others items seem to be selling for wholesale +/- a few bucks. These items also coincide with my hand-crafted goods, so I can use unsold merchandise to make hand-crafted stuff for ebay/etsy.

The distributors I've found vary quite widely in their retail discount - ranging from 40%-55%. From my math, the ones that are only offering 40%, with the exception of a few niche or very very low volume items, will be unsellable online in general. I'm not even sure where some people are getting their goods, as they're selling them new at 30-40% of retail price and free shipping. It's a bit baffling.

My own situation is pretty relaxed. I can live off of no money for quite a while - so making little or no money at first is something i basically expect to happen. I figure it will just be a 'learning' phase. So with that in mind - I'm not going to be investing in $1000 worth of some seemingly profitable product on a whim. So while I expect it to be rocky at first, I'm hoping to eventually build up to a liveable income.

But basically the plan is to buy items i know well enough to sell - generally materials - sell them. Anything that doesn't sell, I will use in my own trade - and sell the final product at materials cost to recoop my loss (which will be items which i have already successfully sold for mats+time price). Anything that sells decently, I'll buy more of and occasionally expand my inventory list, doing the same - of course after appropriate research is done on the profitability of that item.

So to me this sounds reasonable and well thought out - but Dunning-Kruger says I'm probably a moron and don't know what I'm doing.

If anyone reading this has any thought or suggestions about my approach - I'd love to hear an honest opinion from someone with more experience in this area than I. I even welcome long-winded cyber-rants - I will read it all. I feel the first step to profeciency and eventually success is to learn what you don't know, so that's my goal right now.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

It is wonderful that you have planned to go the retail route. Unfortunately, if your business plan is fully based on Ebay - the revenue you "expect" will not be forthcoming. Many sellers experience a Selling Limit - number or profit....seems they sell just enough merchandise to pay their Ebay fees each month. For me I went from selling 95% of listings to now I average 5%. Does not matter if I list 5 items, 50 items or 2000 items - I will sell around 5% of the listings I have per month. My business plan does not take into account Ebay's logarithms. Those that "promote" large box sellers, and it seems Chinese merchandise to be placed in front of the buying public. WIth out "knowing that insider" information, no matter what you have for a business plan, your future hopes may be damaged.

That said - if your business plan notes that you are planning your own website, you know your target audience and can advertise through social media, craigslist etc. to create visibility AND you diversity your selling venues - then Ebay will only be a minor constant. Remember the larger the audience and the larger the competition base - the smaller % of sales will be flowing in your direction. In some senses, you even need a niche website to deal in your own customers. Something to think about.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

For a full-time income, eBay should be only part of your online presence.

You should be on Amazon as well, and if, as your name indicates, you are dealing with gamers, you should be checking out hobby sites as well.

More important would be your own website.

When we had our B&M shop, there were months when the shop paid the rent and utilities while the online paid the staff and taxes. And vice versa.

Some months eBay outsold everything else. Some months nothing, but the website was roaring.

One suggestion is to use the same business name for all your presences.

I'm not clear about one thing-- are the distributors you mention dropshipping suppliers? That is, you take orders but have nothing in hand and the supplier deals with packaging, shipping, quality control, and inventory?

Because that's a good way to go broke in  a hurry.

Although the low financial bar seems attractive, having no control over inventory, quality and shipping means that ALL the problems are yours to solve. And the supplier keeps the money.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The old saying, Don't put all your eggs in one basket does not apply when selling volume on eBay. You need to marry the online business. I would definitely make sure you open an eBay store, use the apps that are available for your store, send out business cards with your orders, flyers, emails, etc. Please know that you WILL have a competition. A number of years ago I tried the wholesale retail thing on eBay. The items I was selling I should have made a killing but low and behold not 1 but 2 China based sellers popped up and blew any potential profit I could make out of the water. Buyers did not mind waiting 3 to 5 weeks for an item if they could save $30! I ended up selling my wholesale items at wholesale and never looked back. When I had my brick and mortar second hand store eBay paid the rent. I then thought why not Etsy and Poshmark but goodness did it drive me crazy. I would have a sale on an item in Posh and eBay of the same item. Had items in my store stolen that sold on eBay and of course the buyer did not believe me even with a police report and boom a negative feedback. I stopped selling on everywhere and concentrated on my store until my landlord decided it was ok for her daughter-in-law to carry handbags and jewelry in a general store owned by her son in our little 4 store mall. I had a no compete in my lease but it did not matter for relatives. Then she rented to HABITAT for HUMANITY Thrift and I was done. Now I am happy on eBay. Make a nice little profit. I only sell clothing on Posh and use that money to buy for my eBay store. Good luck to you.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

We had all out items available on all sites (including the shop) and used the same inventory number on each.

The staff were instructed to put the inventory number for sold items into the daybook and it was the job of the online clerk to clear those off all sites before the end of the day.

We had the occasional problem (with over 15,000 unique items at a time, that's inevitable) but they were rarely on eBay.

The big problem was selling some thing on eBay then months later finding it was still up on our own site, or ZoS , or even occasionally Bonanza. Since none of those have the feedback control on sellers it was a matter of apologize and move on. EBay was always neck and neck with our own site. The other sites were really unimportant except as advertising.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

psynauticgames wrote:

Being relatively skilled in another profession, I'm well-aware of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Had to laugh about your reference to the Dunning-Kruger effect.  Reminded me of my father who simply couldn't understand how ANYONE couldn't get straight A's in school, as all the answers were right there in the book and gone over in class/lectures, etc.  How much easier could anything be than that???  Often pretty hard to really know quite where we stand on the *smartness* scale, isn't it.    Smiley Very Happy

Overall, your plan sounds like a good way to start out.  Selling merchandise offerings that you can actually use yourself if the stuff doesn't sell here, is mostly a non-losing scenario from that standpoint.

Will point out, however, that one of the things many newbies miss in their initial figuring is ALL the costs that have to be covered with each sale, all the fees, packaging, etc.  But that's pretty easy to get past quickly.

The problem lies more in....  not just will your offerings sell here, but HOW MANY SALES will you be able to effect over a month's time here, given what you have to offer?  How much of it can you sell here each month?  And there's only one way to find that out.  Good luck to you.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply