cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listing error . What would you do

Hello , I listed a lot of toys and used the auto filler option on eBay. Unfortunately I missed an error in the listing. It stated 55 pieces however my lot only contains 26.  It sold a few days ago 

I contacted the buyer twice but no response. Shipping deadline is today.  I’m also away over the holidays. Would you cancel the order and refund? Or send anyway? Pictures were included in the listing.  However my instinct says cancel and refund. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Take the Defect.

It's cheaper.

Cancel as "error in listing/out of stock".

One Defect in 12 months is not going to kill you.

The alternative is to ship,get a Not As Described claim, pay for the return of the purchase,hope that it is still what you (short) shipped, refund, redescribe without AI, and relist.

Which is better?
Your choice.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Take the Defect.

It's cheaper.

Cancel as "error in listing/out of stock".

One Defect in 12 months is not going to kill you.

The alternative is to ship,get a Not As Described claim, pay for the return of the purchase,hope that it is still what you (short) shipped, refund, redescribe without AI, and relist.

Which is better?
Your choice.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I handle it this way. If there is any descepancy, I send an eBay message right away. If no response,  I call the buyer, if no answer, leave a voicemail and then text them. I have never been unable to get a clear answer. Always has worked. Though I do deal mainly with business customers and they are appreciative to hear from me.

Never, ever had a complaint about calling. Have had them mention it positively in feedback. 

Posting ID
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@blackpanther2010 wrote:

Hello , I listed a lot of toys and used the auto filler option on eBay. Unfortunately I missed an error in the listing. It stated 55 pieces however my lot only contains 26.  It sold a few days ago 

I contacted the buyer twice but no response. Shipping deadline is today.  I’m also away over the holidays. Would you cancel the order and refund? Or send anyway? Pictures were included in the listing.  However my instinct says cancel and refund. 

I would email the buyer, tell them the error (and confirm something in the listing was correct, like they get what's in the picture). I had one where the photo card said Great Britain but my title said Canada. It was a $4 stamp, so just told my buyer (a repeat customer) the photo is correct it is Great Britain. If he had wanted a Canadian stamp instead just to contact me and I'd refund the stamp. He ordered other stamps, so there was no need to refund shipping on this one as the shipping was the same for one as the number he ordered. (I also trust my repeat buyers to not take advantage to get a free item).

In your case with an error in quantity, I'd be offering a more than fair refund for my error and tell them you're going to ship and refund this amount if you don't hear back by this time that he'd prefer to cancel. Most people will accept the good will gesture of a partial refund and accept the item, so there's no defect for me.

C.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

If it was me and they hadn't gotten back to me yet, I would send it anyway, apologize to the buyer for the mistake, and tell them you will refund them in full including shipping, if they would like you to do that, and tell them they can keep the toys for free even though your name isn't Santa. They just might get back to you, thanking your for your kind offer, letting you know that they realized there wasn't 55 pieces when they bought it and that all is okay as it is and they have no worries.

BTW, if it's the lot of 55 playmobil figures, where are you coming up with the 26 that you say it only has? I only see 11 in there.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@adkhighker wrote:

If it was me and they hadn't gotten back to me yet, I would send it anyway, apologize to the buyer for the mistake, and tell them you will refund them in full including shipping, if they would like you to do that, and tell them they can keep the toys for free even though your name isn't Santa. They just might get back to you, thanking your for your kind offer, letting you know that they realized there wasn't 55 pieces when they bought it and that all is okay as it is and they have no worries.

BTW, if it's the lot of 55 playmobil figures, where are you coming up with the 26 that you say it only has? I only see 11 in there.

I really hope this is a ''joke'' reply.

@blackpanther2010  Follow the good advice and cop the defect - message #2

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

@adkhighker wrote:

I really hope this is a ''joke'' reply.

@blackpanther2010  Follow the good advice and cop the defect - message #2

I didn't offer a full refund on one item, it got damaged in storage... I offered a partial refund. Buyer said everything was fine, no worries.

Not everyone takes advantage of a freebie just because it's offered.

Today Purolator left a package under my car and I drove over it... It was an envelope of return address labels and they were fine when I opened the package. I did call Purolator to complain, I could have requested the package be replaced, but since the package is fine, a scolding to the driver who did this is good enough for me. They even offered for a manager to call me. Not necessary, the stupid photo they posted as proof of deliver actually shows the package under my car. I told the phone agent "that's not a very good place to leave something."

C.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply