cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listing Page Shows One Title - Sold Listing Shows Different Title - eBay Hurting My Sales

Title says it all.  If you search for the product I sold it shows one title, that is inaccurate, but on the back end through my listings page it shows a totally different title. Customer buys something, receives something else because eBay is broken.

I'm going to call eBay, see if I can't get this looked into.Screenshot (1).pngScreenshot (4).png

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Listing Page Shows One Title - Sold Listing Shows Different Title - eBay Hurting My Sales

The only advice I can offer is to be more careful. Check the listing for errors before you submit it. Good luck.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The title of your item is what YOU put in there. Did you review the listing for accuracy before you launched it?

Do you have more than one listing? Did you list the wrong item?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

It may be the catalog title that is the problem.  Try to list without using the catalog.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

New fun fact. Hover over the "show original title" and it shows THE CORRECT TITLE!

The eBay rep could see the same issue. He put in a deeper tech support issue, but this feels like a broken "Feature" that eBay tried to roll out...  Thanks for that eBay.Screenshot (5).png

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@nwtechtester wrote:

New fun fact. Hover over the "show original title" and it shows THE CORRECT TITLE!

The eBay rep could see the same issue. He put in a deeper tech support issue, but this feels like a broken "Feature" that eBay tried to roll out...  Thanks for that eBay.Screenshot (5).png

@nwtechtester  this has been a glitch going on for about a week now.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/What-is-quot-show-original-title-quot/td-p/33150575

It's a known/ongoing technical issue - https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-eBay-Technical-Issues/Ongoing-technical-issues/m-p/32866800#M983...

'show original title' option is appearing next to the item title (August 23,2022)

Reference ID: ALERT14069

Provide Member ID:
Provide Screenshot:

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I am very careful. User valueaddedresource  pointed out this is an open technical issue eBay is aware of.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

This actually has affected three of my listings. The first one I didn't catch, just assumed it was oversight. The second was pointed out by a buyer who asked a question. The third was the issue above, which is when we realized that there was a problem.

I am very careful. User valueaddedresource  pointed out this is an open technical issue eBay is aware of.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@nwtechtester wrote:

Yep, several people on that other thread and across social media have reported exactly what you are showing in your screenshot - they edited the title but eBay kept the original title and only showed the edited version when you hover over "see original title"

So basically it flip flops the original and revised versions of the title and shows them in the wrong places.

devon@ebay  - what should a seller do if this glitch causes them to receive a not as described claim due to eBay showing the incorrect version of the title to the buyer? Will eBay offer seller protections for this?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@nwtechtester wrote:

Yep, several people on that other thread and across social media have reported exactly what you are showing in your screenshot - they edited the title but eBay kept the original title and only showed the edited version when you hover over "see original title"

So basically it flip flops the original and revised versions of the title and shows them in the wrong places.

devon@ebay  - what should a seller do if this glitch causes them to receive a not as described claim due to eBay showing the incorrect version of the title to the buyer? Will eBay offer seller protections for this?

Hey @valueaddedresource! In cases like this were there is a known issue on the site, we would cover sellers in the event of a not as described claim is opened based on a site issue. I would recommend if any seller is running into this to go ahead and reach out to our customer support so they can be added to the ticket as seen on our tech board here

Devon,
eBay
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

A few years ago,

The same thing would happen to me if I took a current listing and basically changed it to a new product. It will show the buyer the new product.  Then when I go to ship, it will show me the old product. If I didn't catch it, I end up sending the wrong product to the customer.

Back then the only way for me to see what the customer actually purchased was to print a packing slip.

I talked to customer service a couple of times a number of years ago. Both times I was told that eBay's software was working as intended and wouldn't say it was a technical issue. 

The  new content eventually corrected itself. Either that or I had to go in and revise something first.

Now I create a brand new listing instead of changing an old one.

Interesting that this issue is still around after all this time.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@valueaddedresource  has it correct, this is a relatively new, but known glitch.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

eBay's new feature (bug) "show original title" appears to intentionally display the uncorrected title in listings and corrected/changed title when buyers hover over "show original title"

I can make no sense of it or any clear explanation from eBay of its purpose. For me as a seller, it appears to help buyers claim "Item not as described" since eBay is forcing me to display my uncorrected title (and only displaying the correct title if the buyer hovers over "show original title").

What is "show original title"? - The eBay Community

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Is the catalog wrong?  Does the UPC on your item also match the other size? 

Or does the other count size have the wrong UPC?

I owned a retail store once where product UPCs were shared for different colors of the same item, but not different count sizes.  And I have some special edition ornaments (Repaints), that have the same UPC as the standard edition so they would be buried unless I choose to not use the catalog.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 14
latest reply