cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep inventory quantities hidden from buyer

I wish to list my items one at a time, but I want my full quantity to be available to be re-listed one at a time once it sells. Point being, I sell items better when my quantity available is 1 instead a large number. The problem is when it sells I have to physically go in and re-list that item. You should be able to have it re-listed automatically if you have more in stock, without the buyer knowing how many I have. It creates a sense of urgency for the buyer.  My numbers are up greatly over the past year, but the unnecessary time and work to keep up on it is horrible, plus if I miss one it doesn’t get put back up for sale until I notice my mistake. Also, if we could somehow put on our entire quantities I would know my year end inventory, costs, etc., instead of having to do a physical inventory.  With well over 1000 items, this idea would make all the difference in the world. Thank you. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Keep inventory quantities hidden from buyer

You need to be using the out of stock option.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Buyers can see your total quantities with that option. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

In my opinion you are over thinking it. If people are sitting on their hands waiting to make a buying decision because you have enough product that no one will miss out....then your inventory isnt really great or your price isnt enticing any way. Sometimes i can have 30 quantity of a sku and sell 4 a day for a week then not one sale for 2 days. Lots of reasons it could be. 

If you use out of stock, or do not relist immediately, i guarantee you either or will miss sales because its not available to purchase the moment another buyer was prepared to buy. Also a buyer knowing you keep quantity will remember you as a seller. Goodluck.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

As  noted, you are trading off an artificial sense of urgency against temporary lack of availability. Also what if a buyer wants to purchase more than one? You will lose that buyer to another seller.

The "Out of stock" option does psrt of what you want: When the quantity available reaches zero, the listing stays live but is hidden from everyone except you, until you revise the quantity.  

This lacks the automatic relist that you want, but it does preserve the total number of "Sold" items, which would lend to the sense of urgency that you want to create: Buyers will see "1 available" but a large number of Sold, implying that this is the very last one out of a large inventory. Because it keeps the same listing number, this not only shows the increasing number of Sold items, it gives you credibility as a longtime seller of that item, and potential buyers  can look up your feedback history for the item.

I don't think eBay would be interested in adapting OOS to be as misleading as your current strategy; the OOS option was explicitly set up for situations where the seller is genuinely (but temporarily) out of stock but expects to get more inventory.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/bulk-listings?id=4160#outofstock

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

If I have 100 of the same item, I wanted to sell them 1 at a time.  I want them re-listed automatically.  I do not want the buyer to see my total quantity available.  As the seller, I want to see how many I have left at all times privately. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

eBay is not going to do that automatic relist.

You could display a low quantity and periodically update it before the listing sells out. Or combine that with the OOS option.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@sportstacular wrote:

If I have 100 of the same item, I wanted to sell them 1 at a time.  I want them re-listed automatically.  I do not want the buyer to see my total quantity available.  As the seller, I want to see how many I have left at all times privately. 

Good heaven's just list your 100 and stop trying to mess with the buyers heads

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Sixbit (a desktop listing tool) has the functionality to do exactly what you want. check it out.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

(If I have 100 of the same item, I wanted to sell them 1 at a time. I want them re-listed automatically. I do not want the buyer to see my total quantity available. As the seller, I want to see how many I have left at all times privately.)

Turn on the out of stock feature in the settings and when an item sells out the quantities

will go to zero but the listing won't end and it will let you edit the listing to add more.

This will work if you prefer to list them (one) at a time and all the buyer will see is (one).

What ever quantities you put the buyer will see but the system dosen't care if you use

1 or a 100.

Bulk listings

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/bulk-listings?id=4160&st=12&pos=6&query=Bulk... 

1.jpg

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thank you as close-ind. I’m glad there is at least one person who understands how to run a business. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I don't know about you, but when I sell an item there is a link right below the "print a shipping label" that allows me to relist the widget and it takes me only about 5 seconds.  If you want to cut down on that apparently burdensome amount of time you could list a quantity of say 2 or 3 and then reload once every few sales without showing you have plenty of inventory and sometimes you can actually sell two of an item to one buyer and that usually saves a bit on shipping.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Man lol I just wish you luck I guess. IND didnt tell ya how to run a business, they just demonstrated how to push a button on ebay. The fact you fired shots at the rest of us, as not being the one person who knows how to run a business, when we were just trying to assist is well.................great unsaid explanation of why you might have difficulty. Its not like us 7 figure sellers, multiple times, know how to run a business or anything. Im glad you were able to teach me something today. Thank you.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@sportstacular wrote:

Thank you as close-ind. I’m glad there is at least one person who understands how I want to run a business. 

I do what you do for a few items. I simply made relisting the item a step in my packing and shipping process. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply