cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just when I think ebay can't get any, um, whatever ...

In Women's Bags and Handbags, the Materials Item Specific gives these choices:

Material

Acrylic Canvas Corduroy Cork Cotton Denim Fabric Faux Crocodile/Alligator Faux Fur Faux Leather

WHERE IS LEATHER ?  

I could add a few more that would be more likely to be used than CORK.  CORK ??  ACRYLIC ??  

I give up.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Acrylic handbags actually aren't that uncommon.  They're usually small (clutch-sized) hard-walled purses that are basically like little rectangular boxes.  I've seen people carrying them around before.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Sorry to rain on your parade but cork is popular in my area. Eco friendly and jazz. I even have a small purse in cork.

Ebay sometimes feels like it has too many options for sure! Isnt there an advanced listing preset where you can make a custom premade listing somewhere too?
Message 3 of 31
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

In Women's Bags and Handbags, the Materials Item Specific gives these choices:

Material

Acrylic Canvas Corduroy Cork Cotton Denim Fabric Faux Crocodile/Alligator Faux Fur Faux Leather

WHERE IS LEATHER ?  

I could add a few more that would be more likely to be used than CORK.  CORK ??  ACRYLIC ??  

I give up.

That looks like the idiotic Item Specifics they have in Coins.

It's alphabetical, only shows the top of the list (which doesn't look like a list), in this case only up through "F", and it doesn't have a functioning drop down.  Try putting an "L" in the field, and see if it doesn't offer you Leather. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Cork and acrylic are popular materials for handbags.

@sharingtheland- You'll find additional materials when you use the drop-down. There are a lot of item specs that display the first 10 as check boxes with a drop-down to find the rest. You can also enter your own material in the drop-down field.

bagmaterial.jpg

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@sharingtheland- You'll find additional materials when you use the drop-down. There are a lot of item specs that display the first 10 as check boxes with a drop-down to find the rest. You can also enter your own material in the drop-down field.

bagmaterial.jpg

It is just shocking that an outfit that fancies itself as a "tech company" would design a data field that operates that way.

There's one in Coins for the date, where you can select multiple entires, that has check boxes for 1501, 1502, etc. up to about 1509.  The drop down doesn't work, you have to type it in, if you get 192 into is it will offer you 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, etc.  It will take you three more clicks to get it selected and entered.  It will glitch, so you click twice, and then you still have to click "Add" to get it to register.  It would really be impossible to design a more counter-intuitive and difficult interface, but I'm sure they have a team working on it right now.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 6 of 31
latest reply

@ted_200- Would you expect anything less more from eBay's technical functionality?

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

You think that is bad, try listing women's dress pants.  Under style you would think in the drop down menu one would see dress...nope, no where to be found.  You have casual, wide(really? wide?), skinny , tapered, etc.  All except casual and pants set (when is pants set a style?) are the leg style, not the pant style.grimacing 

If you type in the box dress pants, then do a search later on the left hand side of the listing pages for pants, under style, dress pants will not show up.  Your dress pants cannot be narrowed down that way in search.   So much fun doing a search for dress pants nowadays, NOT.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

@odie200412 wrote:

You think that is bad, try listing women's dress pants.  Under style you would think in the drop down menu one would see dress...nope, no where to be found.  You have casual, wide(really? wide?), skinny , tapered, etc.  All except casual and pants set (when is pants set a style?) are the leg style, not the pant style.grimacing 

If you type in the box dress pants, then do a search later on the left hand side of the listing pages for pants, under style, dress pants will not show up.  Your dress pants cannot be narrowed down that way in search.   So much fun doing a search for dress pants nowadays, NOT.

Oh geez, tried to edit but too late.  I just realized when reading over this that casual pants is no longer a style, another new thing.  So wondering what ebay has my casual pants listed as.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@coffeebean832

Looking at the list @sharingtheland, it would almost appear as if an ex PETA member has joined eBay's board and doesn't want the company falling on the wrong side of animal rights activists. Materials derived from actual animals and not "faux" are conveniently hidden in the drop down. Let's not forget the world has headed to an extreme place of sensitivity where one little hipster (or millennial), who somehow gained popularity for contributing nothing of value to society can tweet, snap or gram about your brand and tank your stock.

Who wants that? Not eBay, said the eBay board...

The flipside of this Sunday morning conspiracy of mine is that these are just materials that are now more popular that leather etc. Most commonly used? Maybe. That might just be what the data is showing. I know your post is about handbags but years ago many sneaker brands started using cork on various parts of their shoes and for a short time it was a "thing". You can still find some brands doing it today but not as big as 2013 - 2016. It seems like in other categories however cork has caught on or is here to stay.

The truth has few friends but many enemies.
No one is perfect, though a mirror and the right clothes may make some think otherwise.
Message 10 of 31
latest reply

So wondering what ebay has my casual pants listed as.

Cookbooks?  Just joking, of course. 

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

bagmaterial.jpg

Yes, I know.  I just stubbornly refuse to believe that cork and acrylic are more commonly used in bags than leather.  It was also very late on a long ebay night when I had my meltdown about this.

I have no stats to back this up but maybe faux leather is used more than leather in purse production but I don't think (again, no stats) that cork or acrylic are, or are searched more often in the handbag category.  

I agree that ebay could now be emphasizing nonanimal parts.  Seems obvious if you look at the types shown, without using the dropdown.   That aha moment of realization had not occurred to me.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:
  ... stubbornly refuse to believe that cork and acrylic are more commonly used in bags than leather ... maybe faux leather is used more than leather in purse production but I don't think (again, no stats) that cork or acrylic are, or are searched more often in the handbag category.  ... ebay could now be emphasizing nonanimal parts.  Seems obvious if you look at the types shown, without using the dropdown.... 

It has nothing to do with how commonly used the materials are, nor how searched, nor whether they came from animals.  

As noted in one of the posts above, the options are in alphabetical order. 

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

As noted in one of the posts above, the options are in alphabetical order. 

Yes, I am aware of that.  And they are all non-animal.  You have to use the dropdown to get to leather.

My point was "leather" does not even appear in the first section, but "cork" and "acrylic" do.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Just went back to finish the listing.  I totally zoned out on it last night - it was too late to be trying to accurately list a high $$$ bag.

Don't have "leather" in the dropdown; it goes from "Jute" to "Linen."   Which helps explain my rant, lol.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 15 of 31
latest reply