cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just fed up with changes that make it harder to sell and are time sinks! G'bye after 22 years!

I have had this account with eBay for 22+ years now and I am just tired of all of the no value added changes.  The latest is a 'unified selling tool' that is only good for mobile sellers of huge volumes of standard goods, and is a huge time sink for PC-using listers of unique one-off type items like stamps, in my case.  Managed payments added a week or two to getting paid, and a week or two to eBay's float of our money.  More ads when I log on - and on and on it goes with changes that make it harder or more costly to sell, harder to form communities and buyers' networks, and just in general I feel like eBay is almost preying on its sellers.  So I am ending my listings and giving it a break, maybe set up my own site or try other markets.  Maybe I cool down and come back, but right now I don't think so.  Cheers y'all!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Just fed up with changes that make it harder to sell and are time sinks! G'bye after 22 years!

@gr-stamps3 wrote:

I have had this account with eBay for 22+ years now and I am just tired of all of the no value added changes.  The latest is a 'unified selling tool' that is only good for mobile sellers of huge volumes of standard goods, and is a huge time sink for PC-using listers of unique one-off type items like stamps, in my case.  Managed payments added a week or two to getting paid, and a week or two to eBay's float of our money.

I'm a small seller who lists 99% one-off items. I've done about two dozen new listings in the past week. It does not take me any more time to do a listing on the new listing form than it did on the old one.

Managed payments also does not take me "a week or two" to get my money, and if it's taking you that much longer, it's time to switch banks because that's a your bank problem and not an eBay problem.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Re: Just fed up with changes that make it harder to sell and are time sinks! G'bye after 22 years!

@chapeau-noir  Yes, agree with that...ecommerce has seen absolutely massive change in 20 plus years, and will see even more...I admit, it's entirely possible that at some point I'll bow out myself, because I could get to a point where I just don't want to do all that becomes necessary (here or elsewhere). But for now, along with many others, I'll just keep plugging along, rolling with the punches....

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@chapeau-noir  Yes, agree with that...ecommerce has seen absolutely massive change in 20 plus years, and will see even more...I admit, it's entirely possible that at some point I'll bow out myself, because I could get to a point where I just don't want to do all that becomes necessary (here or elsewhere). But for now, along with many others, I'll just keep plugging along, rolling with the punches....

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  Same here, only it'll be inventory squeeze and simple lack of continuing interest. eBay's changes are pretty minimal compared to my efforts to stay up with 'what sells' by re-inventing my entire sales strategy about every 5 years, to continue earning a living (or at this point part of one), learning new sectors, inventory sources, product knowledge etc.  I had to learn clothing resale from the bottom up in the early/mid-teens - I knew next to nothing about it save how to fix it (and of course vintage hats).  All that other stuff has been actually comparatively trivial, if sometimes frustrating - just something to be gotten on with, with minimal fuss.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@chapeau-noir  I'm more of a generalist seller, but yes, keeping up with what to source , where can I find the stuff at reasonable prices, the increased competition, learning all the ins and outs of it, is actually much more challenging than most of the stuff ebay throws at me....most ebay stuff is more annoying than really game changing.  Stuff that sold well when I first started doesn't always sell that well today, ad a LOT of stuff no one looked at twice when I started has far more demand today. 

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@collectfest wrote:

Like a real job, you quit or are fired and your leaving, its a NORMAL processes to discuss it while you're out the door. It is not odd at all. Fellow employees will ask, what happened, what are you going to do ect...  What I do not understand is folks who what to be sarcastic... 

Sure, but those are people at the real-job-place are ones you know, and who know you.   Even here, if one of the long-time, regular contributors were leaving I'd like to know.   But when an OP makes the same departure announcement today that was made in July of 2020 and has otherwise not been visible, well, yeah, I get snarky.   A better person would, of course, just ignore such threads.  But I'm just me, snarky warts and all.

-

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@collectfest wrote:

Like a real job, you quit or are fired and your leaving, its a NORMAL processes to discuss it while you're out the door. It is not odd at all. Fellow employees will ask, what happened, what are you going to do ect...  What I do not understand is folks who what to be sarcastic... 

Sure, but those are people at the real-job-place are ones you know, and who know you.   Even here, if one of the long-time, regular contributors were leaving I'd like to know.   But when an OP makes the same departure announcement today that was made in July of 2020 and has otherwise not been visible, well, yeah, I get snarky.   A better person would, of course, just ignore such threads.  But I'm just me, snarky warts and all.

-

And sometimes, a Seller who is "frustrated", evidently just wants to be "heard".

@gr-stamps3  - wishing you the very best wherever the online selling journey takes you.  This job (like any job really) can be the best job or the worst job, depending on the day.  

Gran used to say that "the stench of the money, often overcomes the sheet one is standing in to earn it".

When you are making money on here, you may not like all the carpola you have to do to earn it, but you roll with it, as you like the money part.  

When you stop making money, the focus shifts to "why am I working so hard with little or nothing to show for it?"

Sincerely do wish the OP well.  Everything has a Season - don't burn a bridge as you go.  You might wish to come back and try again!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Your views are spot on. 

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@collectfest wrote:

-

Like you, I believe it is prudent to always check the posters board history in these types of threads.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 23 of 26
latest reply

I agree with you 100%. I am fed up with what ebay has done in order to sell items now! I am going to look for other options for selling!

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

I agree listing is more of a time drain with every change, but I get paid the day after something sells. I’m a long time seller but super occasional now - I still get my money faster than I even ship the items (2 day handling). Maybe you should check how you set your preferences.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your Gran is/was a VERY wise woman!!!

Message 26 of 26
latest reply