cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jumping back in... is Auctiva any good still?

Hello!  I'm testing the eBay waters after many years away.  (So long that my old seller account has unfortunately been purged.)  I used to use Auctiva for my listings, but wonder what you all are using these days.  I never used the eBay listing tools because I needed closed/unsold listings to be saved for longer than 90 days, and that will still be the case.  I'm reading that the Auctiva checkout process isn't great for buyers, however.  Is there a good alternative?  Thank you!      

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Jumping back in... is Auctiva any good still?

Not sure what you mean by the "Auctiva Checkout Process".  Everyone uses the same checkout process & it's eBay's.  There is no other checkout.  As for 3rd party listing/storage software, there are many.  IDK of too many who use Auctiva anymore.   Ebay's that was called Turbolister, has been gone for several years now.  The one eBay reccomended as their replacement is Sixbit.  I've been using it for well over a year now.  It's a lot more robust than TL, but gets the job done, even if I don't use half of its functionality.  There are also many that are more geared towards cross-listing on mulitple sites (Sixbit does that too).  

Be sure to read up on Managed Payments & you'll have to register b/c that's how everyone gets paid now.  No more PP.  Though a buyer can still pay with PP (and a whole host of other methods). 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Thank you, that is helpful!  I must have been reading an old thread about the checkout process.  I will check out Sixbit for sure.  And thanks for the heads up on Managed Payments.  I have much to learn/relearn!  I appreciate the help!

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Some general new seller tips:

Register for MP before you list anything and be aware that you will face new seller payment holds. eBay will need you to link a bank account and may ask you to upload your photo ID for verification.

New sellers are targets for scammers that will make fake offers and try to get you to text or email them outside of eBay. Keep messaging on eBay's platform.

I suggest using fixed price listings and be wary of using offers - might want to stick with immediate payment required for a while. Don't even consider auction format unless your items are highly desirable with a lot of demand.

Some basic info on getting started:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-started-selling

Selling limits:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-limits?id=4107

Payment holds for new sellers:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816

Selling fees:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

Using local pickup:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/local-pickup?id=4181

General payments info:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold?id=4814

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I heard awhile ago that there is a learning curve with Sixbit. I currently use Wonderlister, which overall works pretty well. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@mozartbach1971 wrote:

I heard awhile ago that there is a learning curve with Sixbit. I currently use Wonderlister, which overall works pretty well. 

@mozartbach1971 @ There's a learning curve with anything you use!   I find the learning curve gets greater, the older I get LOL.  The biggest issue I had with SB is migrating my TL database.  I got some bum info on the most ideal way to do it, which caused me a lot of problems.   The actual product is quite easy to use.  There are some things I would have designed differently, but there always is.  It's an occupational hazard when you were in IT & Software for most of your working life.  There are a LOT of things to like about SB, but what is important to me, may not be important to someone else.  I want local storage of my DB & Sixbit has that.  I also really like the platfrom that SB uses for their actual DB.   It's more complex than TL, but it does SO MUCH more.  SB did have an introductory price for TL users that was 14.99.  I'm not sure if that's still avl.  

If you don't have a TL DB to port over, it will be a much easier transition.   I've heard of Wonderlister & I think I remember hearing that it looked a lot like TL.  How much is it per month?  Some of the options have tiered plans, based on how many listings you have. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I think I pay around 25 dollars per month for the medium level plan with Wonderlister.  The program looks a lot like TL which made the transition easier for me. It is much faster than TL in loading photos which is one of the best features of it.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@mozartbach1971 wrote:

I think I pay around 25 dollars per month for the medium level plan with Wonderlister.  The program looks a lot like TL which made the transition easier for me. It is much faster than TL in loading photos which is one of the best features of it.

@mozartbach1971  It likely uses a different DB platform, which franky TL desparately needed.  Since I have a tech background, I was fine with TL, even the 3million times I had corrupted DB's & had to restore.  The average user would have had much difficulty with that & wouldn't have bothered doing backups, so would have had nothing to restore from.  It was also a huge resource hog.  Sounds like Wonderlister did a good job of keeping the look/feel, but using a more reliable DB platform.  IIRC, it's from someone who was initially involved in coding TL.   Just curious if data is stored on their platform or your system?  That's key for me, but probably isn't important to most people. 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I don't know much about software, I have it downloaded on my laptop so I assume the data is on my computer.  I notice on their website they have an online version which I didn't notice when I first signed up. I heard the creater of WL once worked for Ebay so that must be why it's similar to TL.  

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Thank you so much for all the links & info!  I was trying to set up Managed Payments a few days ago, but it didn't seem like I could sign up until after I've sold something.  I probably misunderstood.  I'll check your links out.  Thanks again!    

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@clothesoutsnmore wrote:

Thank you so much for all the links & info!  I was trying to set up Managed Payments a few days ago, but it didn't seem like I could sign up until after I've sold something.  I probably misunderstood.  I'll check your links out.  Thanks again!    

@clothesoutsnmore   That is not correct.  You must sign up & be enrolled BEFORE you sell . 

eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I have used Auctiva in the past.  Have been using inkfrog for years.  easy to work their platform with excellent customer service when it is rarely necessary.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I sell 10,000+ items a year and have never seen the need to use any 3rd party services.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Thanks, I misspoke, I meant until I've listed something, not sold.  It makes sense that I would need to sign up before listing, but I can't seem to find where to do that.  Clicking "Learn More" on the page about managed payments https://www.ebay.com/sh/fin/dlp, it takes me to a "start your listing" page.  

And the "Registering as a Seller" page has lots of info, but no links to register.  https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/registering-seller?id=4792 

Any hints?         

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

It used to be that unsold listings were purged after 90 days, I think.  Many of my items are seasonal, so it's important that my work gets saved for listing down the road.  Has that changed for eBay's listing tools?  

Message 15 of 15
latest reply