cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item delivered, eBay still gave refund out of their pocket? Why?

Here's the case outcome

eBay Customer Support has refunded the buyer.

Final decision:
You were not found at fault.
Transaction summary:
Any remaining funds from this transaction are available

Question is why would eBay refund for item that was delivered? 
Buyer opened request that item was not delivered yet, waited a week or so and tracking got updated that it was delivered. Next i did escalate the case to have it closed like i did many times before and eBay just gave away money to the buyer from their own pocket?

This is not the Greedy eBay i know...
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Courtesy refund.......the buyer cried enough tears that they didn't get the item..... We read about it happening once and a while......for customer retention I guess. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

At times at their discretion the may do this. But not always. It depends on the case, and the sellers track record of performance.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I once sold some paper, well, polymer Euros to a nefarious user name in Brooklyn N.Y..  The tracking showed the package as delivered yet the potential thief filed a 'not delivered' claim. 

The case was only opened for a few hours before ebay stepped in and closed it in my favor, refunded me my lost payment all based on my having used tracking with signature required.  I never found out what happened to the account of the other party.  It felt like ebay had my back on that one. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

They always keep the buyer happy they get enough from us for charges on fraudulent claims and bogus fees they can afford the loss. Or maybe this is a way that their scammers that they provide to us are turning on them lets hope

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@dariudaudery_0 wrote:

eBay has access to data from countless millions of transactions, and I suspect they have spent a lot of time analyzing that data to figure out how when it is worth trying to retain a buyer who is in danger of leaving the platform after a sub-optimal transaction. 

So in short, I suspect eBay decided it served their long term interest to try to keep this buyer happy. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@dariudaudery_0 wrote:
Question is why would eBay refund for item that was delivered? 
Buyer opened request that item was not delivered yet, waited a week or so and tracking got updated that it was delivered. Next i did escalate the case to have it closed like i did many times before and eBay just gave away money to the buyer from their own pocket?

The estimated delivery date is part of the item description, and a buyer may be relying on that date when they make a purchase. If the item is not delivered by that date, it's possible the buyer could appeal to eBay that they needed the item by that date and chose to purchase from you for a reason based on the estimated delivery date of your listing--a birthday or wedding or other special occasion, or leaving for a vacation, or any number of other scenarios. If the buyer chose your  listing specifically based on the estimated delivery date but didn't receive the item by that date, s/he may have been pretty unhappy about it.

I'd say this one was a win-win.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

Thankfully eaby was able to pay for it with the fees they charge on the tax the IRS tacks on to the shipping.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply