cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item delivered, buyers says he didn't received, he wants a refund... ???

Ok guys, im looking for some assistance.

I sold an item around Aug 14 and 16th, cant remember but... i did packed and printed the label on the 17th... uploaded tracking automatically to eBay.

The item was delivered on the 19th...

10 days later, Aug 29th, the buyer messaged me saying that he never received the package and asked me if the package had insurance, i told him to contact usps for more info since on my side i see it as "delivered"

Oct 3rd (a month and few days...) he messaged me and tells me that usps delivered to the wrong place, he asked me for my full name, address, (no phone # or email) so he can start a case with usps... i messaged him and gave him the info, today he opened a case saying that he never received the item...

So i feel i did all i can to help, not sure whats the deal...

I added some messages to the eBay open case stating all the steps i did and hopefully they can see it was delivered...

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

You need to respond to the case and provide the tracking information showing the item as delivered and eBay should close the case in your favor in short order. While eBay has this information, or can look it up, they will not do so on their own the seller has to input the information into the case response. 

There is nothing wrong with helping a buyer who is trying to file a case with USPS at least they are smart enough to realize that they can do so. What they cannot do is get refunded from the seller as well as USPS. 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Ebay does allow buyers to open an INR, even at this late date, but they are well past the 30 days from delivery as stated in the MBG.  I recommend you read through the MBG and get more familiar with it as there is very important info in it that all sellers should know.  Not just for INRs, but other important things too.

In the claim, upload the tracking number and then just wait.  Don't write your buyer.  Just wait.  Ebay will close the claim out but it will take awhile, so just ignore it, it will go away.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

What was the delivery window for the item IF the tracking did not indicate delivered on ebay? If delivery is listed, in most but not all cases the seller has fulfilled their end of the contract in the eyes of ebay. Provide the original tracking number into the case details ebay is asking for. They require you to provide it again.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

The OP is TRS and has been on eBay for 14 years.  Not a new kid on the block.  Seems like he would be fairly familiar with the MBG.  

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Hi @space1998collectibles 

A couple of things to note: insurance is for the seller, not the buyer. The buyer has eBay’s Money Back Guarantee to make him whole if the package is lost or damaged. But once the package is acknowledged as delivered by the carrier, the shipping insurance will not cover that loss. It is the buyer’s responsibility to provide a safe location for a delivered package.

When the package showed up missing, i would have reached out to the carrier on the buyer’s behalf. That is just good customer service. The buyer can reach out to the carrier as well, but the seller needs to advise his buyer on how to handle a missing package that shows as delivered. That would entail advising the buyer to ask the neighbors and other occupants of the household about it. Just cutting the buyer loose to fend for himself shows a lack of concern that can end up coming back as poor feedback.

Be sure to upload the tracking number to the case notes. This is very important because even tho your sale already has that data, eBay requires it to be given again. (If the sale was for $750 or more, including shipping, you also must have signature confirmation at delivery.)

You should win the case, but always express concern for a buyer’s dilemma as a matter of course for issues like a missing package.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

"When the package showed up missing, i would have reached out to the carrier on the buyer’s behalf. That is just good customer service. "

No, it is easier for the buyer to contact their local post office and ask about the item. Finding the right post office is not easy with sometimes up to three possible post offices in the same area. You will be amazed at how mail delivery people who deliver so many items remember exactly where they delivered the missing item. 

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Was the "wrong place" the address given you through ebay? Or did USPS misdeliver it?

Either way you're covered on an INR as your tracking says delivered, not to mention he's way beyond the ebay MBG protection.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

I do have some time on eBay correct, that doesn't mean im an expert, also last time i have this issue was... 9years ago or more.... things change son eBay every year, so im looking for some extra info.

I don't run into this issues at all.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Thanks, yes, item was delivered on the 19th.

I did everything right (i believe) and i just find it strange that for 10 days the buyer didn't notice the delivery... then for over a month he decides to finally open a case with USPS... i guess busy people can do it.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

With eBay respond with the tracking number showing delivery.

EBay probably does have this information. Do it anyway.

If USPS messed up, it is not your responsibility.

If the buyer gave you the wrong address, not only is it not your responsibility, but eBay does not require you to refund a penny.

Be polite, but be firm.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Thanks.

I did responded to the open case, provided shipping again and yes, i try to help with so if indeed the package was delivered to the wrong place, he can get something back. Now im just waiting for eBay or the buyer to comment.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Thanks. Waiting. 

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Thanks, i actually helped in every way i could, from telling him the first time when he contacted me to check USPS first, since on my end i can see it was Delivered on time.

But after that, he tells me the package was delivered to the wrong place... he waited over a month to open a USPS claim.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

I had a buyer open a INR after 6 months and a buyer open one after 3 months. Doesn't mean they will get any refunds from me and they didn't. And my items were sent without tracking. LOL. I just let them do what they wanted to do. eBay only holded my funds for one day and then released the funds like nothing happened.

In fact, those INR claims actually disappeared totally.

You down loaded tracking and it got delivered. Ignore the buyer. Block the buyer.

MBG is for 30 days of estimated date it was suppose to be delivered or delivered.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply