cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item accidentally shipped to a buyer that will now not respond to me

I recently shipped two items to the same buyer, but one was supposed to go to a different buyer.

I created two shipping labels, one for each, but I always make a copy for my records.  I accidentally put the same label on both boxes.  Totally my fault.  However, I had NO luck when I contacted the buyer that received both items to see if I could get the wrong one back.  I had to issue a $90 refund to the buyer that didn't get what they ordered.  I have tried on three occasions to contact the other buyer through the eBay message system, but they are ignoring me.  They are a rather large seller too, with all good feedback.  I am perplexed.  I thought that the eBay community treated each other better.  Any suggestions?  thanks!

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Item accidentally shipped to a buyer that will now not respond to me

the person that ended up with the box doesn't have a phone listed on their store....  thanks!

Message 46 of 55
latest reply

I tried UPS, but it was during that storm of a week or so ago.. couldn't get through.  I will try again this week thanks!

Message 47 of 55
latest reply

it was before Christmas...  the item was supposed to go to Australia, so that buyer didn't open a case until two weeks ago or so.  that is when I discovered my error.  I tried to contact the person that accidentally received it three times, no response.  I just refunded the original buyer.  thanks!

Message 48 of 55
latest reply

Yes, I told them I would arrange for all shipping costs back.  they just didn't respond at all.  thanks.

Message 49 of 55
latest reply

that is a problem....  the UPS tracking system shows the box as delivered.  as it is one tracking, I can only assume that the buyer received them both, other wise they would have received neither and would have contacted me.. or, received the wrong item and contacted me.  I am still trying to get through to UPS, but Man, that is so hard!  you get lost in automated answer hell when you call them.  thanks!

Message 50 of 55
latest reply

I sent three emails to the person that received it with details of their purchase, plus the other item (item numbers, descriptions, etc...), and offered to pay for the return to me.  crickets...  thanks!

Message 51 of 55
latest reply

thank you Southernfriedbelle!  it's my first time contacting the community.  there were some helpful replies, and I am taking the others for what they are.  I know that I totally screwed up...  and I learned from it.  Just thought that maybe there was a way that eBay could somehow apply pressure to the buyer, but eBay doesn't really have a way to contact them and talk to a person about your problem...  just canned replies by a robot.  thanks again, you are gracious.  

Message 52 of 55
latest reply

just an update for everyone that has been so helpful.

I did get ahold of someone at UPS.  They verified that most likely Both boxes were delivered to the customer, their system would have read them as one package so there is NO way to track them separately.  

I said to the UPS person that I was surprised that their system wouldn't have picked up on the fact that two boxes had the exact same tracking number, but he said no, most likely not.  Strange, I know...

I emailed the customer one final time, and very nicely (again) offered to send a call tag and to also let them select anything that I currently had listed for Free as an incentive.  No reply.  So, I guess I will chalk it up to experience and just be a whole lot more careful.. at least it was Only a $90 mistake, it could have been worse.

thanks again.  Mike.

Message 53 of 55
latest reply

@froggyjump wrote:

Don't be so quick to think what is happening isn't illegal.  It wouldn't hurt to contact the police dept in their local town to get a feel for what's happening. They just may be willing to drop by.

Just because something falls in your lap doesn't mean you get to keep it. My neighbors chicken flies the coop too right into my yard but I don't get to keep their chicken

When we lived in the country (late 70s early 80s), we had a neighbor that their peacock kept getting into our yard, so I took care of the problem, I ate it. 😀

Have a great day
Message 54 of 55
latest reply

@mcstrat79 wrote:

Just thought that maybe there was a way that eBay could somehow apply pressure to the buyer

No, Ebay wouldn't do anything in a case like yours, you're pretty much on your own.

Have a great day
Message 55 of 55
latest reply