cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It now costs 10 PERCENT of your sale to sell on here? Is that a joke?

I've been on ebay since 97. I haven't used it for a couple years until recently, had no idea that the sellers fees were that high now.

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Re: It now costs 10 PERCENT of your sale to sell on here? Is that a joke?

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Don't care, never sold one here and I'm guessing the op hasn't either. 

Actually I've probably been on Ebay longer than you've been alive. Feel free to look at my account, idiot. I'll accept your apology.

That's funny OP. You've been here less than 3 months longer than me and for your information I'm one of the tiny handful here that have been on your side the entire time. Now I'll wait for your apology. idiot is a really, really ugly word. Your reading comprehension sucks.

This format is a little hard to follow who's saying what so my compehension here does suck. So yes, I am the idiot and apologize.

Accepted and don't worry about it. I have a hard time following along myself sometimes. BTW you are correct, fees for selling here are out of control. They are really reasonable for listing if you want to run a virtual museum and not sell, but for actually selling quality items the fees suck.

Yeah, I'm looking to sell an item for $200, I'm going to try the individual sale at Amazon, which is only 99 cents. If that works my days with ebay are over. I refuse to pay 10% of what I sell, it's just absurd.

@palmer22

Whoa...hold on a second!

Amazon is 99 cents PLUS 15% of the total the buyer pays PLUS a referral fee, if and only if you can list to begin with. Most categories are gated now.  Oh, and they charge seven cents to print a shipping label.

If it's a vintage/antique item, there are much better and cheaper sites out there.

Unless you've proven to a be a horrendous seller, then it jumps to 14% before eBay shuts you down permanently..

And that's STILL lower than most other venues.

Message 62 of 72
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

If done correctly you can list and sell it for free. I've never paid ebay a dime for anything thats the buyers burden not mine...

I don't understand.  What does that even mean?  Please explain how you accomplished never having paid eBay anything, @bubbleman2010.  I sure am willing to learn.

Buyers pay all my Ebay and Paypal fees, my self insurance, my shipping supplies, my item costs, my profit, my time, etc.  I have never paid Ebay a penny, my buyers pay because all my costs are in my item price.

Oh, ok.  Then true for me, too and most everyone who sells on eBay.  

Message 63 of 72
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

If done correctly you can list and sell it for free. I've never paid ebay a dime for anything thats the buyers burden not mine...

I don't understand.  What does that even mean?  Please explain how you accomplished never having paid eBay anything, @bubbleman2010.  I sure am willing to learn.

Buyers pay all my Ebay and Paypal fees, my self insurance, my shipping supplies, my item costs, my profit, my time, etc.  I have never paid Ebay a penny, my buyers pay because all my costs are in my item price.

You're paying ebay, even if indirectly. You find your items and you put in 99% of the work into your listings, you then spend that money through ebay and they take a chunk of it for helping you sell the item. Every middle man is like this, but it doesn't change the fact that you're paying them in the sense that it's less money that you're getting. The debate is really- what is that middle man worth?

Every dollar you increase to compensate for fees is less money that could be going to you. For every dollar you have to raise to compensate for fees, insurance, and shipping supplies/etc you're capability for a profit goes down if the market prices don't all raise accordingly.  At the end of the day you need to compete with other sellers, you can't just keep increasing your prices to compensate for every dollar lost in fees/shipping. Problem is, prices aren't always increasing and things like international sellers get advantages like epackets and subsidized shipping which means you can't always increase your prices.

Message 64 of 72
latest reply

Don't forget the PayPal fees, AND they charge fees on shipping, too.

Tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind the fees, if they would offer sellers some protection from scam artist buyers, and a working feedback system.

The way I calculate it, is I figure my overhead cost for selling an item is 15%- FVF's, PP fees, and shipping materials cost. That is how I decide how to price items, and see what my profit is.
But, I really need to add a bit to cover costs of scam artists forcing me to pay to return some junk they put in place of the perfectly good item I sent them, along with the refund I have to give them.

It isn't the fees that are the problem here. It is the lack of seller protection, and **bleep** feedback system.
Message 65 of 72
latest reply

Remember when the cap on FVF was $250? Now it's $750 (for non stores)

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 66 of 72
latest reply

wrote:

I forgot about that. The change was 1% of total sales. While I sympathize with you, if you're paying thousands more in fees per year you must be selling well into the six figures and I therefore feel less sympathetic Smiley Happy

Don't know if it was pre- or post- 2013... they added FVF to shipping (it was sometime before the 10% fvf though).  With FVF on shipping, there's a fee hike every time shipping rates go up (isn't that every year?).

They raised the Basic Store fee by 25% just a year or two ago.

They raised the FVF on Stores by tacking 0.15% onto the existing rate (that was just last year, I think).

They put a massive fee hike on Reserve price, and ended the old policy of not charging it if the item sold.  I think they raised other listing add-on features similarly.

They just recently added a 4% FVF add-on for "below standard".

The 10% FVF may be "stable" (unless you were getting the TRS discount), but they're tacking on other fees all the time. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 67 of 72
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

He means he adds it all to his item price / shipping charge and makes the buyer pay it.  It's a word game / shell game though, he could have charged the same money for "it" before the fee hikes and he'd have made more money on it then... Using that thinking, eBay could impose a 1000% fee and if you raised the price 1000% the buyer is still paying all the fees... the problem is with the basic supply/demand/price curve relations.  It won't sell if it's priced 1000% higher. 

Message 68 of 72
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

I forgot about that. The change was 1% of total sales. While I sympathize with you, if you're paying thousands more in fees per year you must be selling well into the six figures and I therefore feel less sympathetic Smiley Happy

And then they raised the store FVF's to 9.15% from 9% last year, right?

And postage increases increase shipping FVF's.

And the international PP increase from 3.9% to 4.4%

Lastly, the below standard FVF is 14%

I see you beat me to it... I really should read...

I gave them a pass on the PP int'l increase... they are separate companies, dontcha know? 

Message 69 of 72
latest reply

wrote:
Remember when the cap on FVF was $250? Now it's $750 (for non stores)

Forgot about that one... don't really get into selling over $2500 items here... little risky...

Message 70 of 72
latest reply

Over $50 just to list my car?  Forget about if it sells.  **bleep**?

Message 71 of 72
latest reply

@mulepick wrote:

Over $50 just to list my car?  Forget about if it sells.  **bleep**?

Unless it's some highly desirable/collectible model for which a buyer would want to travel to pick it up or pay to have it shipped, I wouldn't list it. The idea is, as others have said already, list something that you know will sell well enough that your fees will be covered by the sale, and it will still be worthwhile to do so. A Shelby GT500? Sure. A 2010 Corolla? Um... no. Smiley Wink

Message 72 of 72
latest reply