cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam

So recently I posted an item and set the priced at a certain points I received a offer higher than what I was asking for then I received a message asking for my phone number is this a scam?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Is this a scam

Yes

Anyone who thinks that money can't buy happiness has never paid a shelter pet's adoption fee
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@shfranck-0

Scammers will often target new sellers with high-priced items by sending offers above the buy-it-now price, and asking for contact information outside of eBay. The contact information allows the scammer to send a fake email that appears to be a legitimate paypal payment notice; the scammer counts on the inexperience of the seller to lead the seller to ship before the seller realizes that no actually payment has been received.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank you so much for the info

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Probably, on internet now with phone # can get address middle name and age. More if you pay.

I had somene bid, ask for price on additional items, after I packed, dishes a big job, so I cod give accurate shippong, foreign, requested, no demanded my bank information to deposit. I said use PayPal. tried to bahger me into giving this information

My bank said Do Not. Even with purchases from  others. They can still target 1 or more sellers. I'd rather lose a sale than get cheated. That's  my opinion. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Yes I got email, marked paypal, who always address you by name on acct & their 800 #.

Saying money sent, send gold bracelet, to Nigeria, and give tracking # and PayPal will release funds. I called PayPal. To check. I knew, but wanted to verify. they don't operate like that.  If it smells, don't trust it

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The ONLY way to know if you have been paid is to go to your Paypal account directly.

Not through email links, not through eBay, not through eBay Messages.

If it isn't there, don't ship.

Even if the 'buyer'  is using a Guest Account, his payment will be processed by Paypal and will, once cleared, show up there.

Note that as a new seller, your customer's cleared payment will be Held against your good service.

The easiest way to check if the money is actually in your account is to use it to buy a shipping label through Paypal.

Held funds will be released for this.

Bonus, you may get a discount on the cost of the label.

I'm non-US so I don't know what discounts are available to other sellers elsewhere, but we Canadians have received discounts of up to 15% on some Canada Post services.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I see you've relisted it now. You're going to have the same scam attempt repeat unless you can get rid of that Make Offer option, and just list it as a straight BuyItNow listing, with the Immediate Payment Required option checked. (That checkbox option can be found on the full Sell Your Item form, possibly not found on express or mobile formats of the selling form.)

With the IPR option set, no one can snatch your item off the market without actually paying you for it first.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply