cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam? - Ebay seller cancels my winning bid because it didn't sell for as much as he wanted

I won an auction from a seller for a on a PSA graded 10 pack of One Piece he had listed for 10 days. I ended up winning this auction for $103.00. In less than 2 minutes, he goes and cancels my winning bid with the reason that the pack was lost or damaged. He sent me the email below saying "I apologize, but I meant to to put a reserve on this pack of $200. I cannot let it go for less than that. I'm sorry for any inconvenience. If you want to purchase for $200 I can relist a buy it now. I hope you understand."

This seller is a complete scammer and a thief! This is a contract between the seller and the buyer and he completely broke this by saying it sold for less then what he wanted. How is this fair to the buyer? I call him a scammer because he lists something as an auction and he cancels it because he didn't like how much it sold for. He had 10 days to cancel the auction and put a reserve price on it. Then sends me an email saying I can buy it for 2x the amount that I won the auction for. This is the sign of a scammer and a thief! There are graded PSA 10 packs up for sale for $150 as a buy it now auctions. He is deliberately is cancelling because he is unhappy with how low the auction went and then trying to rip me off by saying I can buy it now for 2x what I actually won it for. 

What kind of repercussions are there for this person? This is wrong. What does Ebay do to people like this who pull scams like he did? Anyone know?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Is this a scam? - Ebay seller cancels my winning bid because it didn't sell for as much as he wanted

It isn’t fair and very frustrating but ebay cannot force the seller to send it.  But since  the seller used the reason damaged/out of stock for cancelling they will get a defect from eBay.  Sellers can only receive a very limited number if these each year before being penalized.  In that situation many sellers would be dishonest and use a reason that wouldn’t penalize them so this seller is being honest. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Most of what you describe is simply bad customer service and poor decision making on the part of the seller.

Leave Feedback, once you cool down, that is short factual calm professional and short.

But

Then sends me an email saying I can buy it for 2x the amount that I won the auction for.

That is a Reportable offence, since they seem to be taking the transaction "off eBay" and eBay is not too happy when sellers try that.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

The seller didn't say they'd take the sale off ebay, they said they'd LIST it for that amount.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 4
latest reply