cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to change the default settings for my non-template listings?

I'm a long-time seller who occasionally uses templates but mostly creates listings by searching for similar items and selecting "sell similar." It would be nice if the sellers could set the default listing settings to their most used or preferred selections. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be possible (at least not that I'm aware of) and instead the default settings such as Format, Returns and Shipping Details seemed to change on a whim from day to day.

For example the other day I had several small items that I wanted to ship First Class, Fixed Prices, Free Shipping and Free Returns (my preferred/most used settings) and for every listing I had to change Priority Mail to First Class, Auction to Fixed Price, Buyer Pays Shipping to Free Shipping, etc. I listed another batch of small items today and all the default settings miraculously matched my preferences which allowed me to complete each listing in about half the time.

My question is does anyone know what the rhyme or reason is for why the default settings change when “selling similar”? My original theory was that eBay saved the settings from the last item you listed on a previous day so I’ve been trying to save items that match my default preferences to sell at the end of the day but that doesn’t always seem to work. Your feedback on this matter is appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Is there any way to change the default settings for my non-template listings?

This seems like a highly asked question with ZERO answers. I am still looking for the answer 2 hours in...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Re: Is there any way to change the default settings for my non-template listings?

It's been over two months since I posted this question and you are the first to respond so a solution to my inquiry is looking less and less likely. Certainly if you come across any new insights on the subject I'd appreciate it if you could post them here.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Somehow my "Sell Similar" default settings got changed. Now I have to change it from an auction back to BIN every time.  Where can we go and change the settings for our "sell similar" options?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

did you ever get an answer or find a solution? 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Sorry, I haven't heard any solutions yet, only replies from other sellers who are experiencing the same problem.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Have you tried using the Business Policies section? I know it's not going to autopopulate your sell similar but it will give you a little drop down to select the policy you want like "First class free shipping". I was doing sell similar for the longest time (still do sometimes) and it would autopopulate 4 shipping services no matter what so i would have to go in and delete 3 of them and change the 4th to first class. Now i just go down to the drop down and select the shipping policy i created and don't have to delete anything or click a million different things.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

So I figured it out (at least for me).
Usually, I have a long list of items to sell that have already been photographed - I look up the item on eBay and then "sell one like this" option. Usually, it defaults to the settings that the OP (original poster) set for their setting. I've been changing to my settings (7 day / Priority / No Returns / eBay Payments and then "Save For Later" when I'm ready to post in bulk. 

Every time I'd have to change to my settings until... I went ahead and just posted one of my auctions instead of "Save for later". Once one was posted, I went the "sell one like this" route and everytime it kept the settings from the single auction I started. To test my theory, I threw in a "BIN" auction and it started following those settings until I relisted another auction that was the settings I wanted. Hope that makes sense. So far so good. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Appreciate the recent feedback on this matter. My original post on this topic was over a year and a half ago and I've recently starting selling again after several months away. The Business Policies section (which I didn't utilize in the past, possibly because it's a new feature) has helped address a lot of the issues I was having back when I made my original post. I create a Shipping Policy my preferred settings for Ground Advantage and free shipping, check the "set a default policy" box. Now when I "sell similar" my default shipping policy is preselected which greatly streamlines the listing process. Similarly you can also create a default payment and returns policy.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply