cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is selling bulk DVD lots the way to go? No views on listing.

I'm trying to sell a bulk DVD lot of 46 DVDs but my listing has gotten no views on the two times I have relisted it so far. I typed out each individual DVD and mentioned any imperfections I saw as well as included several pictures of them all. I figured selling them together in a lot as opposed to individually would be better but I don't understand why this listing isn't getting any views. Is there a better way to sell DVDs here? Am I doing something wrong?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Is selling bulk DVD lots the way to go? No views on listing.

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@casey-86 wrote:

I figured with so much going digital now that physical movies would gain some more interest. It doesn't seem to be as much of an interest as I thought it would be. Its clearly a very oversaturated market right now. There was a deal at a local flea market where you could buy 8 DVDs for $5 and I should've just picked out the ones I wanted to keep for myself instead of thinking of resale value online.

This is actually true, but for certain titles. The ordinary bog standard stuff that is streamed - watched once and forgotten - or was popularly issued on DVD isn't going to move. It's like trying to sell best sellers. There are movies and shows which are of definite interest to individuals who want to have their own physical media to watch at their leisure more than once, complete a set, hard to find, unusual genre, etc. The problem is knowing what those DVDs are, and unless one is a real cinemaphile (I have one in my house), it may not be worth the time to try to separate those out - that depends entirely on the seller's level of interest. I used to sell a lot of DVDs and even more VHS, but now I sell them selectively (I don't have any running right now in case whoever that was runs and looks 🙄 ) and from our own library (i.e., the household cinemaphile).

I advise against auctions and NO reserve - the latter not only costs money, but buyers really hate them (as a seller I don't see the point in them, either).

And the thing with the good DVDs is that you can't let them sit in your death pile or price them up. Plenty of discs only have value because they are not on any streaming service, and those DVDs will likely go to zero value** the second the movie ends up on a streaming service. 

**It doesn't take a huge drop in demand for the price beating algorithms of the big charity media sellers to take over and drive the price of that DVD down to $3.99 shipped.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

In your description, you should list all the movies in alphabetical order so it's easy for the buyer to quickly find out what's in the lot since there are so many listed.  Second issue, the price is too high, look at the competing prices for that quantity of DVDs.  You may want to rethink pricing.   Good luck.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

If I were in your position I would list them individually for $10 each with free shipping. So $9.99 Buy it Now. I would hope that a few of them would sell and maybe recoup the money I spent on them. Then after a few months I would lot the remaining ones up together and do a Buy It Now where they are less than a dollar a piece maybe 75 cents a piece.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@sapphire_studio wrote:

If I were in your position I would list them individually for $10 each with free shipping. So $9.99 Buy it Now. I would hope that a few of them would sell and maybe recoup the money I spent on them. Then after a few months I would lot the remaining ones up together and do a Buy It Now where they are less than a dollar a piece maybe 75 cents a piece.

Original poster, whatever you do don't do that. Price guessing like that is why people are in here 10 times a day posting threads on why they didn't get any sales and that is because they guessed all their prices when they could have looked them up in 5 seconds.

I looked at your lot and one glance told me that the ONLY one you had worth 9.99 shipped was "Super Marios Bros. 3 complete season.

Things like DVDs all have market values, you don't just price them all the same. 

While I didn't price check every single disc in your lot I would be severely surprised if you even had 1 other discs in that lot that currently sell for more money shipped than it costs you to ship them out.

Trying to get 9.99 shipped out of things that are available at 4.99 and 3.99 shipped is just a huge waste of time and it never works.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

The Goodwill near me puts the Blu-Rays and DVD's in bins for $1 .19 a pound.  Plenty of 'good titles' too. 

Message 20 of 20
latest reply