cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to have a cancelled item UN-cancelled?

Hello.

Had a buyer win an auction for $300.  After winning he said he needs a few extra days to pay as he was on the road and out of cell coverage range.

He's a good repeat customer who has won several  >$200 auctions and I have no problem with a delayed payment.  So a few days ago I went into my settings and disabled the auto-cancel option.

Today I get an email from eBay that the auction was cancelled due to non-payment.    I quickly emailed the seller that  *I* didn't cancel the listing, eBay did.

Q:  Does eBay have the ability to UN-cancel a listing after the fact?   You would think it would be doable if they wanted their fees.  If not, I'll just have the winner send me a check without any fees.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Is it possible to have a cancelled item UN-cancelled?

Recreate listing as buy it now with a stupid price and message the buyer with the link to the listing and tell him to make an offer for the price he won it at. Or just set it to that price with offers off.

If he still wants it he'll buy it. Otherwise, maybe someone else will buy it for that amount.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Yeah, I talked to eBay and after 20-minutes on the phone they came to the conclusion that once it's cancelled it cannot be uncancelled. Said I would either need to relist or do a "second chance offer"  with the next bidder.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You can relist with the price your buyer was going to pay and have them go ahead and repurchase.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Just relist the item and have them repurchase. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

The bigger issue here, is that the buyer now has an UPI strike against them through no fault of their own.

I do wish eBay would make these ''options'' available to a seller ONLY when the seller requires it, rather than as a default setting a lot of sellers are not even aware of having.

Ultimately it is hurting the buyer and eBay are normally OVER concerned about the buyers.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

The bigger issue here, is that the buyer now has an UPI strike against them through no fault of their own

@mailmover wrote:

After winning he said he needs a few extra days to pay as he was on the road and out of cell coverage range.

Today I get an email from eBay that the auction was cancelled due to non-payment. I quickly emailed the [buyer] that  *I* didn't cancel the listing, eBay did. 

If the buyer 

1. can message "he said he needs a few extra days to pay" 

2. likely received the message you sent that you are willing to wait for him 

3. likely received your "emailed the [buyer] that  *I* didn't cancel the listing, eBay did" 

the buyer can click "Pay now" -- so his IUD is definitely stuck, and entirely through their own fault.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@mailmover wrote:

Q:  Does eBay have the ability to UN-cancel a listing after the fact?   You would think it would be doable if they wanted their fees.  If not, I'll just have the winner send me a check without any fees.

Or you could simply re-list without the implied threat of taking the transaction outside eBay.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

When the Unpaid Item Assistant was first introduced, I decided not to go into my preferences and enable the setting to "ON". It has remained OFF for an estimated decade.

It is the seller's fault that the buyer received the Unpaid Item Strike. In a perfect world, sellers would not enable the ON setting until they were operating at the Anchor or Enterprise store level.

It is the buyer's fault that the buyer received the Unpaid Item Strike. The buyer could have just paid instead of sending a flimsy message about cell coverage range.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@bebe-1153 wrote:

. . . his IUD is definitely stuck, and entirely through their own fault.

Off topic. This thread has nothing to do with birth control devices.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@bebe-1153 wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

The bigger issue here, is that the buyer now has an UPI strike against them through no fault of their own

@mailmover wrote:

After winning he said he needs a few extra days to pay as he was on the road and out of cell coverage range.

Today I get an email from eBay that the auction was cancelled due to non-payment. I quickly emailed the [buyer] that  *I* didn't cancel the listing, eBay did. 

If the buyer 

1. can message "he said he needs a few extra days to pay" 

2. likely received the message you sent that you are willing to wait for him 

3. likely received your "emailed the [buyer] that  *I* didn't cancel the listing, eBay did" 

the buyer can click "Pay now" -- so his IUD is definitely stuck, and entirely through their own fault.

Rubbish, how is it the buyers fault in this case? They did NOT renege on a sale.........

OP clearly states this is a returning buyer who asked for a bit of leeway that the seller (OP) was willing to allow.

eBay's auto system put paid to that, and lost the seller a sale, and caused the buyer a strike all because eBay in it s infinite wisdom sets the auto cancellation payment as the default and the seller being unaware of this has given the buyer a promise they could not keep.

Yeah, that buyer deserves a strike - sheesh.. 

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@mailmover wrote:

Had a buyer win an auction for $300.  After winning he said he needs a few extra days to pay as he was on the road and out of cell coverage range.

The buyer contacted you to tell you that he couldn't pay because he didn't have cell coverage, but they had enough to send a message?

Have a great day
Message 12 of 12
latest reply