cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it okay to list personal items from Vietnam War

From a local estate sale, I got a box of photos and local newspaper clippings, etc.  All concerning a serviceman in Vietnam about 1965-66. One clipping told of correspondence to get a State flag delivered to his unit's troops in 'Nam, another was about being awarded Bronze Star. Lots of amateur photos of the troops on the ground in Vietnam 

Question, it is okay to list this collection on Ebay? Historically, yeah I can see it. but how about  privacy concerns of family or ethics? If it was me, and my experiences in the army or at the 5-sided building I don't think I would mind. Not sure.

Comments? 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Is it okay to list personal items from Vietnam War

I don't see an issue that would cause problems. Good luck to you!

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I would say no. I would donate them to the local VFW. Just my thoughts.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

If the family had wanted any of this, or been concerned about its final disposition, it would not have been in the estate sale.  Feel free to list it.

Note:  Unscrupulous people trying to get a steal of a deal will sometimes message sellers of such collections, claiming to be family members, or come such, to guilt the seller into lowering the price or even giving away the item(s).  Ignore them, or answer them once, very politely, saying that you hope they are successful in buying it.

-

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

If the family had wanted any of this, or been concerned about its final disposition, it would not have been in the estate sale.  Feel free to list it.

Note:  Unscrupulous people trying to get a steal of a deal will sometimes message sellers of such collections, claiming to be family members, or come such, to guilt the seller into lowering the price or even giving away the item(s).  Ignore them, or answer them once, very politely, saying that you hope they are successful in buying it.

If it was me and my times in the army, or at the 5-sided building, I don't think I would mind...unless someone was using them to make a political point. 

When I am at the auction and come across some personal stuff - yearbooks, high school report cards, photos, etc., I tell the family if they are there, or the auctioneer, sometimes they want to keep that stuff. I am really into "paper" so I come across a lot of personal items.  

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Of course, you can list it. eBay for the most part, has no policy against it. See policies. The items you have stated are not scarce. 

Most who purchase these items on eBay are interested in preserving history.

For me as to donating such material, the only place I would donate to are organizations, WITH A TRACK RECORD, of connecting items back to family.

Also, certain medals I would be cautious of selling. Years ago, I attempted to donate to museums etc., sorta funny, they only seemed to be interested in monetarily expensive flashy items. 

If your ethics say don't sell items do not sell them. Others cannot control your belief system. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@4pawsup* wrote:

Might be a good idea, and I was thinking to donate my awards for working on GCCS to the VFW. I thought it was supposed to be classified, but I see there are Youtube videos about it, LOL!.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@4pawsup* wrote:

Donate the money realized after expenses to your VFW post.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

@4pawsup* wrote:

Donate the money realized after expenses to your VFW post

When I get some money going to donate it to the local high school, to pay expenses for another vet on the next Honor Flight.  They just organized an "Honor Flight" to DC for about  40 of us vets, complete with wheelchair-assisted "guardians", seniors from the high school. A whirlwind tour of the monuments and memorials. Last year, at halftime of the basketball game, they called all the vets, cops, firemen, doctors and nurses out the stands and gave them all a standing O, playing along with a short movie. A bouncy cheerleader gave me a red rose. Nobody ever treated me like this in the army! Feel like I'm living in a time loop out here in the Wheat State. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

It's generally okay to list personal Vietnam War items, but ensure they're authentic. Be aware of export restrictions, platform policies, and local laws. Exercise sensitivity and respect when dealing with war-related memorabilia.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@weyland_pubs 

Check with the Kansas State Historical Society to see if they'd be interested, as a donation (tax deductible for you, of course).

The Minnesota Historical Society, for example, has encouraged Viet vets from Minnesota to donate their photos, letters, tape recordings, and so on, as first-hand records of the Minnesota presence in Vietnam during those years.  Belatedly, MHS realized that they had far too few records from enlisted men (and women) from previous wars (but LOTS of officers, naturally); and began encouraging vets from World War II, Korea and Vietnam to be recorded, sharing their military experiences for posterity.

Perhaps the Kansas Historical Society (provided the items came originally from Kansas) would also be interested, for the same reasons.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply