cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it allowed? Defibrillator

I recently acquired a new AED Defibrillator in a storage locker I purchased. Was wandering if this is permitted to be sold on eBay? I do see completed items, but that doesn't always mean the item is permitted. Any input is appreciated.  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I'm not sure.  Here's the general policy: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/medicine-medical-devices-healthcare-p...

I don't see AED's on that list, and as far as I know they don't require a prescription (that would be weird) or a license to sell. eBay might still require you to be authorized to sell them.

Maybe someone who sells them could chime in, or you could even consider reaching out to a big seller here who sells them and ask them directly via messages?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I'm not sure.  Here's the general policy: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/medicine-medical-devices-healthcare-p...

I don't see AED's on that list, and as far as I know they don't require a prescription (that would be weird) or a license to sell. eBay might still require you to be authorized to sell them.

Maybe someone who sells them could chime in, or you could even consider reaching out to a big seller here who sells them and ask them directly via messages?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@amt_texas 

What name brand? Have you tested it? Is the pads still viable and not expired? Does it contain everything in the case?

This is a life saving device and does not require a prescription. 

If it were me ( retired Nurse) I wouldn't monkey with it but I would test it and donate it to a fire or police dept.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I can remember a couple of "morning after" days that I could have really used that machine.

Also, it's good for reheating a pizza if your microwave is broke.

How are you going to test it?  How's the family dog feeling today?

Would it be a shock if it doesn't work?

I would list it in a minute, and not skip a beat.

But, it would be a heartbreaker if eBay took it down.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

These do not require a prescription but here is my take on it. I have had several defibrillators over the years, I scrapped every one of them. Not willing to take a chance on selling a life saving device (no matter what "legal" jargon I put in an ad to absolve myself). 

I have sold dozens and dozens of AED Training defibrillators over the years since they are just for training only, but the real deal? Nope, mine go to scrap. Some things are worth more than money.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I don't believe eBay will allow it unless it comes from the manufacturer, as they carry the liability on it. I would steer clear of anything that could make you AND eBay liable. Consider getting professionally inspected and donating it.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Unless you are carrying substantial product liability insurance, I would not recommend selling a defibrillator online, or in a store. Maybe it would be safe out of the trunk of your car, with the license plate covered.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply