cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is eBay going to reduce their selling fees?

I am wondering how eBay will respond to the fact that a competitor has gotten rid of all their selling fees.  Seems like at the very least a reduction is in order...

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

what-gif-laugh-header-thumb-700xauto-213862.png

I mean, we all WISH fees would go away but....   There is no business out there that operates for free out of the generosity of their hearts, lest of all eBay.

Message 2 of 60
latest reply

"... to the fact that a competitor has gotten rid of all their selling fees."

@jhm99 

Do tell... 

Message 3 of 60
latest reply

We will see how that works out for Mercari . I don't think the buyers are going to be happy with all those fees dumped on them.

Message 4 of 60
latest reply

@jhm99 wrote:

I am wondering how eBay will respond to the fact that a competitor has gotten rid of all their selling fees.  Seems like at the very least a reduction is in order...

That competitor won't be around long if they don't have fees! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 60
latest reply

I am just as surprised as you are, but it appears to be the case.  ACH fee to move money out pales in comparison.

Message 6 of 60
latest reply

I don't think I'm allowed to mention competitor's names, but if you google "zero selling fees marketplace" you will be able to read what I am reading ...

Message 7 of 60
latest reply

@jhm99 wrote:

Mercari did not really get rid of selling fees, they simply changed what they call them and how they show the math to the buyer and seller. 

Old Mercari: Item price = $10, and buyer pays $10.

New Mercari: Item price = $9, and buyer pays $10.

And unless Mecari sellers voluntarily lower their prices to compensate for the buyer paying the fees, Mercari's change will actually increase overall prices for buyers and make a seller's items less competitive there. 

Message 8 of 60
latest reply

Said "competitor' has far less traffic than ebay.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 9 of 60
latest reply

I don't consider *shifting* the burden of fees from Seller to Buyer to be 'getting rid of all the seller fees' or 'zero selling fees'.

Message 10 of 60
latest reply

Companies rise and fall as it happens all the time.

Just a matter of time for this competitor to start charging or go bust.

This competitor is trying to attract new sellers and buyers. 

Message 11 of 60
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@jhm99 wrote:

That competitor won't be around long if they don't have fees! 

Really? - Do you know how much these companies make in advertising fees and selling sales / personal data over a year? - Let alone having other creative ways to bring in revenue? - But you're right...I'm sure they didnt put much thought or foresight at all into this decision - Brings to mind another company who hasnt put much foresight and vision into their decisions over the years - You know, that company that refuses to get bold and shake things up a bit? - The company who's default revenue growth strategy over the last 15 to 20 years has been to keep squeezing more out of its sellers and give less back? The one that had a market share of around 11% 15 years ago and is now in the 3-4% range? oh dang it ...whats their name?...

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

Mercari just put in a completely cosmetic shift in how the fees are presented.  

Ebay customer pays $20, or Mercari customer pays $20, both sellers end up with the same amount of money. 

To another poster, ebay's marketshare of a marketplace that is almost nothing but unrelated businesses that don't compete with them is meaningless.  Ebay's marketshare of what it actually does which is sell anything, used or new is still over 90 percent. 

Message 13 of 60
latest reply

oh dang it ...whats their name?...

You should have no trouble remember the name. After all, you are still here using their messageboard.

Message 14 of 60
latest reply

I'm glad people are willing to share their opinions, but I didn't ask what people thought of said competitor's strategy.  I asked how people thought eBay would respond to the strategy. 

Message 15 of 60
latest reply