cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is black the new white?

Hello - Is black the new white? I thought google and ebay and others wanted only white background on items - let's say jewelry for instance.  I keep seeing more and more items with a total black background on searches.  Didn't Amazon start this white only background and everyoe else just followed suit? Anyway what is the current flavor for backgrounds? Are there any rules anymore?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Is black the new white?

While eBay may want it because it's google friendly, there are no rules against background colors on eBay.  I don't think they could implement that kind of restriction without losing a lot of listings - especially from closet cleaning, infrequent listers.   Think of all the carpet, counter, dining room table, bed, driveway, etc. listings that would be eliminated (although some should be lol)

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Is black the new white?

Some items, jewelery among them, need black background in order to properly see the features of the piece.  White would wash it out.    I have seen many different backgrounds, I have seen my own items in a Google search (not using my own IP address) and none of them are a solid white background.  So, while some may SUGGEST it is better with this or that, I do not think that it is an “all or nothing” issue.

I have seem some drop shippers cutting the stock photo of the manufacturer website, and dropping it on a black background.