cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is This a Legitimate Use of a Variation Listing?

Search-  Corelle Ribbon Bouquet Cups

I get 29 search results. There are 2 listings within those results that contain huge numbers different pieces of Corelle dinnerware in many different patterns.

The Promoted one especially just blows me away.  I'm both somewhat intrigued and somewhat consternated at the same time. Mixed feelings indeed!

If it's a fair use, I've got some thinking to do...the Promoted one was plastered front and center in an ebay marketing email I got today. That's how I found it.

Are listings like this what we have to look forward to once Managed Payments kicks in and we are paying a per listing surcharge to ebay? Hmmm....

I've never tried to construct a variation listing, but this has got me thinking how one might apply to what I sell.

What do ya'll think?

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Additionally--the one particular seller has quite a few of this type of listing. Is this something I should be looking into for myself?

The revision history on the Promoted ad is just a hoot to me...HOLY COW! LOL!
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I looked at the one with about 50 variations and To me it looks suspicious.  It would be fine if all the variations were versions of corning corelle but it does not appear they are.

The sellers could take out the corning corelle name dropping in the title and it would seem to be a good listing.  As it is now they using the name to gain views.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Ah, yeah, the one with the Pyrex included. Corning made Pyrex too, and there's a lot of Pyrex that was made in the same patterns as the Corelle. Many sellers use both brand names as keywords to enhance search results for any given pattern. It's borderline usage to me, but I do understand it.

Same thing with Corningware bakeware. Libbey Glass did matching glassware. A company named Jay Imports did many different go-withs like canisters and such. All licensed, and made to match Corelle patterns.

Learning to spot the oddball stuff is where there's good moolah for a seller over and above the original dinnerware.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Is that what they are considered - kitchen glassware - never thought of it like that. I'm looking at the sponsored listing and thinking - maybe that's what I should do - take all my different Eddie Bauer shirts and put them in a variation listing, take all my vintage tees and put them in a variation listing. I can downgrade my store - leave everything GTC rolling over and not think about anything!

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Here's another question...

If I were to try one of these monstrosities, where would I put condition details specific to each lot or whatever?
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

I know, right? I sure could cram a lot more into my store listing allotment!

I've seen variation listings within a pattern for different pieces, that made sense to me. But, this is the first one I've seen across an entire brand. There are literally hundreds of Corelle and Corning patterns out there!

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Is that what they are considered - kitchen glassware - never thought of it like that. I'm looking at the sponsored listing and thinking - maybe that's what I should do - take all my different Eddie Bauer shirts and put them in a variation listing, take all my vintage tees and put them in a variation listing. I can downgrade my store - leave everything GTC rolling over and not think about anything!

We can also just make 1 listing and title it "Clothing" and put our entire inventory as variations, hahaha. We'd all only have 1 listing in our stores.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:
Here's another question...

If I were to try one of these monstrosities, where would I put condition details specific to each lot or whatever?

moo - that's exactly the reason I wouldn't use this option - they have what 8-10 different patterns and selling plates, platters and cups - you'd have to write a long description describing each patterns problem - slight chip, cracked glaze, ect - what buyer would read thru that and even if they did - may get things goofed up. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

We can also just make 1 listing and title it "Clothing" and put our entire inventory as variations, hahaha. We'd all only have 1 listing in our stores.

I'd have no need for a store! It's like these listings that show 10 different items or colors and then say pick one - if the buyer complains that they thought they were getting all 10 items due to the pictures - the SNAD is still opened and it affects the seller's metrics. I think these types of listings are asking for problems but maybe I'm wrong.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

I’m surprised eBay allows this.

I have seen buyers complaining about “bait and switch “ with certain colors of shirts being more expensive.... 

but this is a whole different animal!

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

How can you sell a cup for $7.00 with free shipping?  After fees, packing & postage, what's the net - about 60 cents?  (assuming they got them for free)

Is all that work worth the $40?

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

It's been awhile since this topic came up, but I knew it did a few times before (and it interests me as a P&G seller).  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Weekly-Chat-with-eBay/Weekly-Community-Chat-Feb-22nd-1pm-PT-Ge...

Post #28 and reply Post #48

Unless something changed, it's not eBay legal. 

If I can't put items from the same china pattern into a variation listing (which is how big box stores do it), then that listing is way over the top.   Different patterns and different pieces.

- Suzanne -
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@scga912 wrote:

It's been awhile since this topic came up, but I knew it did a few times before (and it interests me as a P&G seller).  

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Weekly-Chat-with-eBay/Weekly-Community-Chat-Feb-22nd-1pm-PT-Ge...

Post #28 and reply Post #48

Unless something changed, it's not eBay legal. 

If I can't put items from the same china pattern into a variation listing (which is how big box stores do it), then that listing is way over the top.   Different patterns and different pieces.

Thanks for the reference! That's what I have always thought too!

The AI thinks I'm looking for Corelle because I have been listing some, and doing pricing research...

I found this listing because it was front and center in an ebay marketing email that I got today! If it's not legit...how did THAT even happen?

And seeing as my search results for a cup in a relatively obscure pattern have 2 similar examples in only 29 search results....has something changed where these types of ad are now allowed? After all, it wouldn't be the first time something has changes with no notification...and that Weekly Chat was well over 2 years ago.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

moo - that's exactly the reason I wouldn't use this option - they have what 8-10 different patterns and selling plates, platters and cups - you'd have to write a long description describing each patterns problem - slight chip, cracked glaze, ect - what buyer would read thru that and even if they did - may get things goofed up. 

Yeah, I somewhat reluctantly agree. But then again, I've got 23 active listings for Corelle right now. And more to list. Only 2 or 3 of those have any condition issues that were worth a separate mention in my written description. Even if I gave those their own listing, I could put the other 20 varieties into one listing and just keep adding!

And any sales at all (+ promoting) would keep such a listing front and center in most searches, I'd assume. Is it crazy or genius? I'm not quite sure yet!

Message 15 of 22
latest reply