cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is This a Legitimate Use of a Variation Listing?

Search-  Corelle Ribbon Bouquet Cups

I get 29 search results. There are 2 listings within those results that contain huge numbers different pieces of Corelle dinnerware in many different patterns.

The Promoted one especially just blows me away.  I'm both somewhat intrigued and somewhat consternated at the same time. Mixed feelings indeed!

If it's a fair use, I've got some thinking to do...the Promoted one was plastered front and center in an ebay marketing email I got today. That's how I found it.

Are listings like this what we have to look forward to once Managed Payments kicks in and we are paying a per listing surcharge to ebay? Hmmm....

I've never tried to construct a variation listing, but this has got me thinking how one might apply to what I sell.

What do ya'll think?

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Is This a Legitimate Use of a Variation Listing?

No. I have always been trained by eBay that choice listings are considered fee avoidance and are not legal listings. If they were more of us would be able to cheat like that. I'd love to list one ad with 200 CD's and say "choose one". 

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

No. I have always been trained by eBay that choice listings are considered fee avoidance and are not legal listings. If they were more of us would be able to cheat like that. I'd love to list one ad with 200 CD's and say "choose one". 

I see exactly that all the durned time. Yes, in CD's.

It would be just my luck that mine would get removed while the rest stand...

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Well, maybe Trinton can help with this one.

If things have changed, it's something I'd consider trying. Both listings have had several sales, so apparently some buyers don't mind them at all.

Corelle is actually pretty standardized, except for the pattern. These two "choice" listings I've seen today also don't have a huge variation in prices like some of the other listings that buyers regularly complain about. I'd view that as a positive as well.

I'd still like to know how this listing ended up front and center in a marketing email, especially if it violates policy.

@Anonymous  Can you shed any light on these types of listings for us?  Thanks in advance!

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

I get 29 search results. There are 2 listings within those results that contain huge numbers different pieces of Corelle dinnerware in many different patterns.

The Promoted one especially just blows me away.  I'm both somewhat intrigued and somewhat consternated at the same time. Mixed feelings indeed!

If it's a fair use, I've got some thinking to do...the Promoted one was plastered front and center in an ebay marketing email I got today. That's how I found it.

Are listings like this what we have to look forward to once Managed Payments kicks in and we are paying a per listing surcharge to ebay? Hmmm....

I've never tried to construct a variation listing, but this has got me thinking how one might apply to what I sell.

What do ya'll think?

Hi @moo*cow*corner, if you feel you have found a violation of our policies you are welcome to report this. A listing is promoted when a seller chooses to promote the item, and it appears in marketing emails solely based on your viewing history. Any listing you have recently looked at could appear in these emails. 

In general, a variation style listing is for different versions of the same item that are within a reasonable price range of one another. Size and color variations are the most common example of items that should be in a variation style listing. If the options represent entirely different items, or the differences create a significant range in prices, these should be listed as separate listings.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

What do ya'll think?

Hi @moo*cow*corner, if you feel you have found a violation of our policies you are welcome to report this. A listing is promoted when a seller chooses to promote the item, and it appears in marketing emails solely based on your viewing history. Any listing you have recently looked at could appear in these emails. 

In general, a variation style listing is for different versions of the same item that are within a reasonable price range of one another. Size and color variations are the most common example of items that should be in a variation style listing. If the options represent entirely different items, or the differences create a significant range in prices, these should be listed as separate listings.

Thanks Trinton. Most appreciated.

I'm not concerned about the listing I was referencing being promoted. Mentioning that just made it easier for others to find in order to even have a discussion. Along with the idea that a listing that contains policy violations might be used in marketing emails. I had never seen that particular listing until the email.

On the positive side, yes, I do look at some marketing email on occasion! LOL!

There's a reference upthread from a post that you made during a Weekly Chat about 2 years ago-- specifically saying that different objects (bowls, cups, plates etc.) were not allowed to be put in variation listings. 

I'm not going to bother reporting these listings in my category, because I'm obviously a competing seller. I just don't want to put myself at any risk of sanction before I try and construct a similar listing. 

If there isn't a huge price difference between the various objects, would this type of listing be allowed? If so, it's a pretty big change from former policy for us Pottery & Glass sellers. As this thread shows, we've always believed that listings like that one were listing violations subject to removal and possible seller sanctions. I just wanted some clarification before proceeding.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@scga912 wrote:

If I can't put items from the same china pattern into a variation listing (which is how big box stores do it), then that listing is way over the top.   Different patterns and different pieces.

Interestingly, the photo used for the ribbon bouquet D-handle cups in that "Sponsored" listing of a bazillion different items was lifted from another seller's listing of two used cups. I suppose it's fair usage of a catalog photo, but still seems a little sleazy to me (especially when the photo shows two cups and the listing is for one). There are also six Item Specifics categories, one of which identifies the brand as "Corelle;" all the rest simply read "Various"... Smiley Very Happy

Incidentally, the seller from whom the photo was copied is also selling that pair of cups together for less than the "Sponsored" listing is asking for just one, so it definitely pays to shop around. Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@scga912 wrote:

If I can't put items from the same china pattern into a variation listing (which is how big box stores do it), then that listing is way over the top.   Different patterns and different pieces.

Interestingly, the photo used for the ribbon bouquet D-handle cups in that "Sponsored" listing of a bazillion different items was lifted from another seller's listing of two used cups. I suppose it's fair usage of a catalog photo, but still seems a little sleazy to me (especially when the photo shows two mugs and the listing is for one). 

Incidentally, the seller from whom the photo was copied is also selling that pair of cups together for less than the "Sponsored" listing is asking for just one, so it definitely pays to shop around. Smiley Happy

I was also somewhat both amused and dismayed by the one seller's use of old "stock" photos snagged from elsewhere as their gallery pic and the first few photos. At least digging deeper showed that the seller did add pics of the actual item(s) being offered.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply