cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iran Embargo

While eBay doesn't permit any new listings of Iran stamps to sell they aren't removing existing listings.  I can't figure out their thinking, but it is what it is.  In actuality eBay doesn't prohibit new listings of Iran stamps.  They just prohibit new listings using the category Iran stamps.  They will list using other categories.  Also interesting to note - Hipstamp doesn't have any prohibitions listing Iranian stamps.  Evidently the embargo is eBay specific.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Iran Embargo

Funny I ran into this 2 days ago. But I noticed Iran stamps listed in the Iran category that were new listings. So how does that work? Are they just blocking some sellers and not everyone?

Another glitch?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

eBay requires a category to list under in order to list a stamp for sale.  If you "browse" and use the category - Middle East - Iran your listing will be blocked, not immediately, but after you have fully entered it and pressed list.  If you chose another category like Middle East - Other Middle East it will go through even though your listing itself says Iran - Scott # etc, etc.

eBay might reprogram if they are serious about preventing Iran listings and if they do nothing will work.  

Hipstamp, however, allows listing of Iran stamps and they are a very good website for selling.  You can also synch up your listings on eBay with Hipstamp.  Hipstamp will automaticall pull your listings from eBay and you will have your stamps on both sites with no extra work.  Just make sure they are removed from eBay if you sell them on Hipstamp.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I just listed about 60 .99 cent auctions is it worth doing Hipstamp? Im not a regular stamp seller. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

If you're not a regular seller I wouldn't bother and I don't think you can joint list auction items. I may be wrong, but it just doesn't seem like that could work.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@dwight925 wrote:

While eBay doesn't permit any new listings of Iran stamps to sell they aren't removing existing listings.  I can't figure out their thinking, but it is what it is.  In actuality eBay doesn't prohibit new listings of Iran stamps.  They just prohibit new listings using the category Iran stamps.  They will list using other categories.  Also interesting to note - Hipstamp doesn't have any prohibitions listing Iranian stamps.  Evidently the embargo is eBay specific.

If it's really old, list it as "Persia" and use "Other Middle East Countries" (I am not looking at my software to see what the categories are, in case I'm wrong with this).

Embargo started at a specific time. If the stamps are Persia and not actually Iran, they shouldn't be subject to the embargo.

BTW, I haven't been able to list anything in Iran coins categories for years, but it might be because I'm in Canada and shipping them to the US would violate the embargo. I thought previously you could list them if you were already in the US with your merchandise. Since my courier needs to be customs compliant with my shipments, I opt to not ship anything that might cancel my account with them.

Cheers, C.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@dwight925 wrote:

eBay requires a category to list under in order to list a stamp for sale.  If you "browse" and use the category - Middle East - Iran your listing will be blocked, not immediately, but after you have fully entered it and pressed list.  If you chose another category like Middle East - Other Middle East it will go through even though your listing itself says Iran - Scott # etc, etc.

eBay might reprogram if they are serious about preventing Iran listings and if they do nothing will work.  

Hipstamp, however, allows listing of Iran stamps and they are a very good website for selling.  You can also synch up your listings on eBay with Hipstamp.  Hipstamp will automaticall pull your listings from eBay and you will have your stamps on both sites with no extra work.  Just make sure they are removed from eBay if you sell them on Hipstamp.

I vetted this out a few years ago... and if you check the African banknotes category, you will see banknotes that are listed as "other countries" from Sudan (the embargoed part) that just say "Banknote 1 Pound 2006" with a picture of the banknote that violates the embargo.

I think embargo on stamps, coins and paper money is stupid because they are not "goods" like merchandise. But I see listing these as a good way for an unscrupulous competitor to have your account closed down. I just say don't do it.

I decided all embargoed coins are going into my personal collection instead of listing them.

Cheers, C.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@scalemotorcars wrote:

I just listed about 60 .99 cent auctions is it worth doing Hipstamp? Im not a regular stamp seller. 

I don't know Hipstamp except that they spam me every day for some reason...

I list 99 cent listings for stamps (and get 99 cents on about 20%, the rest don't sell), they are MNH sets from various countries between 1930 and 1965.

No one buys stamps anymore. Don't list stamps if it costs you money. I do auctions because I have 500 a month and can list 100 stamps without causing hardship financially with my business. I have larger lots of used stamps listed (like a whole page from an area), all really old stuff, trying to get 4.99, but no customers.

The elderly are passing away and their kids are selling their stamps super cheap to our store, so we have an abundant amount. We pay almost nothing and sell for just a little more than almost nothing.

Cheers, C.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@dwight925 wrote:

If it's really old, list it as "Persia" and use "Other Middle East Countries" (I am not looking at my software to see what the categories are, in case I'm wrong with this).

Embargo started at a specific time. If the stamps are Persia and not actually Iran, they shouldn't be subject to the embargo.

BTW, I haven't been able to list anything in Iran coins categories for years, but it might be because I'm in Canada and shipping them to the US would violate the embargo. I thought previously you could list them if you were already in the US with your merchandise. Since my courier needs to be customs compliant with my shipments, I opt to not ship anything that might cancel my account with them.

Cheers, C.

I have no idea what's up with selling stamps, but here in the U.S. eBay has been allowing listing of coins from Iran, but they were requiring me to limit them to U.S. shipping only.  It would not let you list with any shipping options outside the U.S., citing the embargo. 

It sounds like somethng may have changed recently though, since coins and stamps usually end up having to follow the same policies on eBay, I just don't know. 

There is a parallel risk everyone should keep in mind... PayPal.  If PayPal thinks something that got sold on eBay violates an embargo policy, they'll freeze your PayPal account faster than a flash-frozen halibut fillet.  Generally, it seems PayPal uses a bot to screen for this, looking for the country names.  Sellers have had their PayPal frozen for selling items from Cuba that were CLEARLY not a violation of the Cuba embargo, simply because of the word "Cuba" in the Item Title. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply