cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory

I received a large amount of free printer ink that is expired. I want to add these to my inventory spreadsheet. To me, the value is zero. However, I do think I need to be able to give each one a value. 

Also, I have sold in the past, empty ink cartridges. Here we go again, how do you value something that others will throw away. Can I give them a value of $0. 

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Inventory

@2011retiredworker wrote:

So, I am interpreting this to mean that for the items like the old stock of printer ink I can place them in my inventory with cost of $0. Is this correct? Thank you.

Also, used printer ink? $0

Any item that is given to me free of charge no matter how much I know I can sell it for can be placed in my inventory with cost of $0?

Yes!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Inventory

Well, you had to pick them up? Time spent?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Inventory

COGS is what it COST you to acquire the goods, therefore yes, enter then as zero cost.

Value is what they're worth, and that will determined when (if) you sell them.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Inventory

If you're filing on Schedule C as a sole proprietor, IRS frowns on you putting a $ value on your time or labor when calculating COGS.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Inventory

Thanks for replying. I did not have to pick them up. My sister brought them to my house!!

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Inventory

Thank you for your answer.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Inventory

Thanks for replying. I did not have to pick them up. My sister brought them to my house!!

Did you not tip or buy her lunch or something? 

Posting ID
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Inventory

That is what I thought too.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Inventory

If you're filing on Schedule C as a sole proprietor, IRS frowns on you putting a $ value on your time or labor when calculating COGS.

COGS can include "direct labor" costs as long as you can tie the labor to an item or items. It is generally used in the production of an item where you can directly tie the cost to an item or items. The same goes for any materials or packing that can be directly associated with the production. If you cannot make the connection you can write it off elsewhere. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Inventory

Well I certainly do not want them frowning at me 😁

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Inventory

True if the goods sold are being 'manufactured', but even then the tax man might want to take a deeper look, unless you're a corp paying 'wages' for such.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Inventory

True if the goods sold are being 'manufactured', but even then the tax man might want to take a deeper look, unless you're a corp paying 'wages' for such.

Agreed. I have sat through audits with clients where this came up and it was never a problem just like any other item the IRS wants details for during an audit. You just have to show the proof. COGS does not generally  trigger an audit unless the number is an abnormally large portion of the selling costs. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Inventory

So, I am interpreting this to mean that for the items like the old stock of printer ink I can place them in my inventory with cost of $0. Is this correct? Thank you.

Any item that is given to me free of charge no matter how much I know I can sell it for can be placed in my inventory with cost of $0?

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Inventory

@coastaltechsolution wrote:

Well I certainly do not want them frowning at me 😁

They ONLY frown when they can't 'get you' on something.

They Smile REAL BIG when 'they've got you'- leaving the 'frowning' for you...........

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Inventory

Yes!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply