cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Shipping Questions

I've always just used ebay's global shipping program. I have never shipped internationally myself and now wondering if I should start. Do you guys only ship to certain countries or worldwide? Most of my items are less than 1 pound so I would assume it would be best to use usps first class international? But I've also read that certain countries have restricted items. Am I supposed to go through each country to make sure that none of my items are restricted or something?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: International Shipping Questions

I only ship to countries that have delivery confirmation included with first class international. You can find the list of countries on the USPS website. Now that I think about it, I haven't checked the list in a long time. I'll have to see if they added any more countries.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

We ship to all of them.  We do not use global shipping program its just to expensive for the normal person to afford.  For the most part it has went well.  The main problem we have is customers that dont want to pay customs tax for the item entering thier country.  Best regards

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I ceased shipping internationally some time ago owing to eBay's and PayPal's proof of delivery policies making it somewhat cost prohibited for most of the items I would list on eBay.  However, if I were to decide to sell internationally again through eBay, I would probably only do it through the GSP program.  Of course, that is just a personal performance on my part.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

You can use first class international for items up to 4 lbs.  On the following link there is a list of the countries that have delivery confirmation with first class.

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

have never shipped internationally myself and now wondering if I should start.

That is, of course, up to you.  I quit selling internationally, when ebay started making us pay for return shipping with delivery confirmation for SNAD complaints.  The expense is often more than the item is worth, so your other choice is to let the buyer have it for free instead of funding a return.  That is the same for the ebay Global Shipping program as well.  

It is sad since I enjoyed selling internationally for many years.  I still do, but just not on eBay. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

As a Canadian, I am required* to detest the Global Shipping Program, but it is a useful Seller Protection.

The GSP demands payment of duty and sales taxes before the seller even ships to Erlanger. The seller is never faced with a returned package that went unclaimed at customs.

Am I supposed to go through each country to make sure that none of my items are restricted or something?

The Seller is never required to know what is and isn't allowed into the customer's country. That's her job. But don't try to ship artificial Christmas trees to Saudi Arabia or gun parts to Canada.

But if something is siezed at the border, you won't get it back and the buyer won't receive it. Expect to refund.

You are not required to ship everywhere under the GSP.

USPS First Class International Packet is a good choice. The buyer will still be required to pay duty and sales taxes before receiving her purchase.  Not all countries will have Confirmation of Delivery.

GSP will not ship to some countries. You shouldn't either.

You can Block entire continents if you want.

GSP is only available to US and UK sellers. I have been selling internationally on eBay since 1998. And from our own business since 1978.

*Other requirements- eat at least one poutine annually, be smug about healthcare, apologize the the guy who stepped on your foot, and know all about house hippos.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I myself only ship internationally via ebays GSP.  I know ebays high prices may discourage sales. I just don't have the time (or energy) for international shipping. 

But whatever works for you. 

JFYI, my international sales using only ebays GSP is maybe about 5% ... 5 sales out of 100 are international. 

Good luck!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 8 of 8
latest reply