cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intentionally buying something with no intent on actually buying item

I don't know about all of you but I have recently discovered two people whom abuse the right to buy on EBay. The lasy guy,  goes and clicks BUY on my auto hauler. Several days later, after ignoring two messages from me, still has not paid for the trailer, mean while the trailer is removed from the active for sale list.  Still has not paid for it.  Time before that, a guy goes clicking buy on my car, then days later, cancels the purchase.  I seriously believe that EBay should have strict punishments for these types of actions, to carelessly buy with no intent on following through only causes added processes for the seller, not to mention trouble in selling their property...

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

"I seriously believe that EBay should have strict punishments ..."

---------

eBay policy clearly states that All listings in eBay Motors... are Non Binding

and do Not create a contract, nor obligate the winner to actually pay for the item.

Policy overview
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/non-binding-bid.html

"A non-binding bid is a bid that shows a buyer's interest in purchasing an item, but it doesn't create a formal contract between the buyer and the seller.

All bids made in the Real Estate and eBay Motors vehicles categories are considered non-binding."

fwiw,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

A hauler is a trailer - it's not a vehicle.  It doesn't matter for UPI purposes, anyway, though - UPI can be filed for vehicle sales, too.

OP @shanewheeler2016 file the unpaid dispute 2 days after a listing ends, let it ride3 for 96 more hours to see if buyer pays, and then close it to get your successful sale fee credit.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Years ago we called them "deadbeat bidders" and they've been around since eBay began. I'm afraid that there's no way to prevent it because who knows if a bidder will pay or not. Just do like *eponymous* suggests and put it back on the auciton block afterward. Be sure to block that person. Sorry it happened to you with expensive items. I think it somehow appears on a members feedback if he has unpaid item strikes against him, but I don't bother looking at a person's feedback once I block him.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

"I seriously believe that EBay should have strict punishments ..."

---------

eBay policy clearly states that All listings in eBay Motors... are Non Binding

and do Not create a contract, nor obligate the winner to actually pay for the item.

Policy overview

"A non-binding bid is a bid that shows a buyer's interest in purchasing an item, but it doesn't create a formal contract between the buyer and the seller.

All bids made in the Real Estate and eBay Motors vehicles categories are considered non-binding."

fwiw,

Lynn

When someone lists a vehicle and someone puts a bid on it and wins but doesn't pay, does the Seller get their FVF back?    I listed a vehicle a very long time ago and had someone who was interested send me a message and asked if I would reduce the price.  I refused and when it rolled off I didn't relist and then about a year ago put it on craigs and sold it.   

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

True, there's no formal contract so if they don't pay you can't take them to court for breach of contract. But the rest of the non-binding bid policy specifically states
Not allowed
Bidding without the intent of completing the purchase
Backing out of the transaction due to buyer or seller remorse

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

"When someone lists a vehicle and someone puts a bid on it and wins but doesn't pay, does the Seller get their FVF back? 

----------

There is no final value fee.

There's a successful listing fee which is charged regardless if the bidder goes through with the purchase.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/motorfees.html

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I hate these deadbeat bidders.  I've had three in the past two weeks.  I guess now that the weather is warm, they have all come out of hibernation holes.  Unfortunately, they are a consequence of doing business here, I guess.   Lost sales, lost exposure time.   I strive to be an ethical person, both in personal life and on eBay.   This kind of thing, however, is making it difficult to be gracious about it.  Especially to the ones who snipe in at the last minute and don't pay, or the ones who fail to read the entire description, or the ones who pocket bid (and confirm!).  The excuses are interesting, but I'm rapidly losing patience with it.  Too bad eBay took away the seller's ability to leave negative feedback. 
These jerks deserve it!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

"When someone lists a vehicle and someone puts a bid on it and wins but doesn't pay, does the Seller get their FVF back? 

----------

There is no final value fee.

There's a successful listing fee which is charged regardless if the bidder goes through with the purchase.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/motorfees.html

Lynn

OH, right!!   That's why I decided not to relist it.   Thanks for the reminder. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Ebay sent me a nasty "warning" for outing the guy, they did nothing about him, charged me my fees, and then warned me for my posting, imagine that, and the business I done on here surpassing that clown is not even valued....

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I don't know if I'm more upset at the deadbeat, or EBay for letting him not only do it, but protect him as well, they have made me sick to my stumech with the nonsense

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the feed back peeps, feels good to know I'm not alone, and I'll follow the advice, thanks

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Wow, bummer for you shane, best wishes in the future...
Message 13 of 13
latest reply