cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instagram @ in description of an item listed for sale?

Are you allowed to put your Instagram tag in the description of an item you have listed? I've seen some listings do this and was wondering if it was against eBay TOS. I wouldn't want to risk losing access to my account over something so minor.

example: 

Follow my Instagram: @(username here) for more!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Instagram @ in description of an item listed for sale?

It is a rule violation. 

You CAN put that information as an insert in a package you ship to your buyer. You cannot, however, put it in a listing, your store home page, even a PM with the buyer.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

No, it's not allowed to specifically include your Instagram tag or any other social media links within eBay listings. While some sellers might try to sneak it in, it violates eBay's policies against off-eBay contact.

Here's why eBay prohibits this:

Keeps transactions on eBay: They want to ensure all communication and sales happen on their platform, where they can control the process and collect fees.

Protects buyers: Directing buyers to external sites can expose them to potential scams or missed information like return policies and buyer protection.

Maintains a professional experience: Keeping buyers within eBay's ecosystem ensures a smoother and more consistent experience.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

This is an ancient thread from 2022.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply