cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrectly charged international fee, got refunded

Just a heads-up to any seller in a similar situation.. my listing specifically excluded all but the continental US and the item sold and I shipped to an address within the continental US. However, since the buyer apparently has an address outside the US, I was charged 1.65% international fee. Doesn't sound like much, but for this item it was more than $20.

Anyway, good news is that I called support and they refunded me, said some bug is to blame.  Guessing that if it is a software bug, eBay can likely identify any listings that were charged incorrectly and issue an automatic refund some time in the future - but regardless you may want to check your charges anyway. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Incorrectly charged international fee, got refunded

Here's the solution:

Raise all your prices by 2%. That will more than cover the fee in the future and you make more whenever a USA buyer purchases.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

@discountkittycat wrote:

Right, but most of them are well-disclosed prior to listing an item, and an item's price typically takes fees into account. Except for the hidden ones, obviously.

The international fee is not "hidden", it is disclosed right on the same page that discloses the insertion fees and listing fees and the final value fees. 

It even has it's own separate section on the page, just like insertion fees and final value fees do:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@dryophelia wrote:

@discountkittycat 

There is no way to block ‘non-US’ costumers from buying if the have a USA shipping address. 
Previously, PayPal allowed us to block international payments. Adyen does not. 

Since PayPal is able to block international payments then eBay is also able to block international payments. 

They choose not to block international sales even though they give you a mistaken belief that you have a choice if you choose to make international sales or not.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@discountkittycat wrote:

Registered address fee should be a buyer fee, not seller. 

What each individual seller thinks the eBay seller fee schedule should be has no impact on what it actually is.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

I do not ship internationally, but I am more than happy to sell to an international buyer.

I have only had one issue with an international buyer.  I do not think it was a FF situation. Someone from Mexico had something shipped to Texas. Boots that they were not happy with the fit/size when they got to Mexico. Told them I sold them for my brother, and did not have the money. Boots were properly listed. They went away.

I do not sell big $$ items. My international buyers have been great. I can absorb the 1.6%

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

OP here. The main issue is that eBay's International selling policy, Item #3 describes how to prevent international buyers from purchasing your items. In fact, the title of that item is "How to prevent international buyers from purchasing your items."  I intended my item to be available for buyers within the continental US only, so to do so I obeyed that eBay policy item. Then my item was sold to a buyer in Italy (sniped 3 seconds before the auction ended) and I was charged a fee for an international sale. As a matter of policy, would you disagree with my issue in this case?

Obviously you cannot prevent international buyers from participating in and winning your auction. However in this case, eBay at minimum had constructive knowledge of my desire to NOT sell internationally, and despite that knowledge, not only permitted the international sale, but charged international fee on top. That's on eBay, not me - and to eBay's credit, they refunded me immediately.  Excerpted from eBay's International selling policy (not what it should be, but what it actually is😞

2021-10-25_001226.jpg

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Final word on this matter.. I intended this post to be a COMPLIMENT to eBay, rare to find on these boards. Put cynicism aside for a moment and understand that eBay DID THE RIGHT THING and deserves the positive recognition. 

Furthermore, from the communication I've had with this particular buyer, she seems great - this experience will make me consider international sales in the future. Here's her last reply to me:

bbbbbbb.jpg

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

The wrong verbiage has been highlighted in the above-posted snip:

Capture.PNG

According to the original post, the buyer discussed in this thread had "an address within the continental US." You ship to the United States, their shipping address was in the United States

The entire snip posted is in regard to buyers who use a non-US shipping address. It is in regard to sellers who do or do not want to ship through the GSP/EISD.

The above snip/post in Message #21 does not apply to the situation presented in the original post.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

@discountkittycat wrote:

Final word on this matter.. I intended this post to be a COMPLIMENT to eBay, rare to find on these boards. Put cynicism aside for a moment and understand that eBay DID THE RIGHT THING and deserves the positive recognition. 

See message #3 above.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

That "bug" has been around for months and eBay has done nothing to fix!

Before accepting an offer or completing a sale, view the potential buyers profile / feedback. That will tell you where they are located.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply