cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrectly charged international fee, got refunded

Just a heads-up to any seller in a similar situation.. my listing specifically excluded all but the continental US and the item sold and I shipped to an address within the continental US. However, since the buyer apparently has an address outside the US, I was charged 1.65% international fee. Doesn't sound like much, but for this item it was more than $20.

Anyway, good news is that I called support and they refunded me, said some bug is to blame.  Guessing that if it is a software bug, eBay can likely identify any listings that were charged incorrectly and issue an automatic refund some time in the future - but regardless you may want to check your charges anyway. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Incorrectly charged international fee, got refunded

@discountkittycat wrote:

Just a heads-up to any seller in a similar situation.. my listing specifically excluded all but the continental US and the item sold and I shipped to an address within the continental US. However, since the buyer apparently has an address outside the US, I was charged 1.65% international fee. Doesn't sound like much, but for this item it was more than $20.

Anyway, good news is that I called support and they refunded me, said some bug is to blame.  Guessing that if it is a software bug, eBay can likely identify any listings that were charged incorrectly and issue an automatic refund some time in the future - but regardless you may want to check your charges anyway. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Oh that was a good one HAHAHAH ebay issuing an automatic refund HAHAHAHAHA oh wait...you were serious weren't you

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

They just gave you a courtesy refund because you complained.

There is in fact a 1.65% international fee when the buyer is registered in a country other than USA.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

It certainly is not a "glitch".  🙂

It is supposed to apply.  The site allows for Sellers registered outside the US to buy on the site and ship to a US based address.  The fee applies as their "payment" source is outside the US, so the 1.65% international fee applies.

Goodness.  E-Bay really needs to update the laminated cards their CS reads from.  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 25
latest reply

if you shipped your item to a freight forwarder in the USA than the fee was supposed to apply to you also

that is how foreign buyers are able to get the goods........they use a forwarder and since they are registered outside the USA than the 1.65% fee is supposed to be applied

I think you lucked out out with a refund

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Wait a minute though.. the "registered address" means nothing to me, the seller.. I don't care if you registered from the moon, fees for this item are/should be relevant to THIS ITEM, right? Particularly since I've expressly excluded my listings for non-US customers, and when my item sells and ships to Oregon, a state within the continental US - via a label purchased from eBay - presumably with a delivery address in Oregon PROVIDED by eBay.. In fact, the concept of "international" wasn't part of any piece of the process until I just happened to glance at the fees for my item and noticed "international fee." 

Are you telling me this is one of those "we're eBay, pay up" type of fees?

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

exactly.....................if you want the sale to the Oregon address then you are supposed to be paying the fee

I payed it for years and years with paypal but had no idea I was doing that

paypal used to send me pie charts  for my selling  activity and international was always at 30-40% of my sales

now I know they were including the freight forwarders sales in those figures for international

I think a lot of sellers dont pay attention to that fee for using a FF

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@discountkittycat wrote:

Wait a minute though.. the "registered address" means nothing to me, the seller.. I don't care if you registered from the moon, fees for this item are/should be relevant to THIS ITEM, right? Particularly since I've expressly excluded my listings for non-US customers, and when my item sells and ships to Oregon, a state within the continental US - via a label purchased from eBay - presumably with a delivery address in Oregon PROVIDED by eBay.. In fact, the concept of "international" wasn't part of any piece of the process until I just happened to glance at the fees for my item and noticed "international fee." 

It's one of those "we've explained this to sellers in black and white for those who take the time to read about seller fees" kind of fees:

Selling fees 

International fee.PNG

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@discountkittycat wrote:

When you think about it, that's pretty much the definition of every single fee that eBay charges.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

To be honest, it's not the fee itself that bothers me, it's the dishonest, misleading, and deceitful way that the all-powerful eBay enforces this and other policies on sellers. And I'm sure there are equivalent situations for buyers.  **bleep**, eBay, it's supposed to be a marketplace, why are you always **bleep** in the room? 

I mean, if given the option to allow third-party shippers for an extra 1.65%, I might be willing to do it in order to gain the additional exposure to buyers. Seems like every day I learn something new about eBay and it is ALWAYS something that makes me think the exact opposite of "what a great company." With some expletives sprinkled in, of course.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@discountkittycat 

There is no way to block ‘non-US’ costumers from buying if the have a USA shipping address. 
Previously, PayPal allowed us to block international payments. Adyen does not. 

This was a one time courtesy refund. It isn’t likely to happen again. If it was the doll lot, you picked the right transaction. 1.65% on a $50 sale isn’t really very much. It adds up when it’s a $1200+ sale. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

Goodness. E-Bay really needs to update the laminated cards their CS reads from.  

They did, but the Shar-pie rubbed off.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@discountkittycat wrote:

Yes, it wasn't a glitch, it's the way it is.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Sorry friend, not good enough. Some of us sellers-who-aren't-as-smart-as-you-clearly-are actually do read the black and white, including the eBay section on how to sell internationally, which includes a section on receiving payments from international buyers stating this policy item "When you ship internationally, an additional international fee applies"  [emphasis added]. Registered address fee should be a buyer fee, not seller. Here's the actual item:

aaaaa.jpg

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Right, but most of them are well-disclosed prior to listing an item, and an item's price typically takes fees into account. Except for the hidden ones, obviously.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply