cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Irma's Path and Have Auction with Bid Ending 9/11

I'm in Winter Haven, Florida. We're in Hurricane Irma's predicted path. I have ended my listings except for one that received a bid yesterday. I'd experienced little to no interest in my listings for over a month and it didn't even cross my mind to end my listings until I received the bid on the one. I realized then that we will probably be without power and Internet access for at least a few days to several weeks following the storm, and I may not be able to access the info I need to confirm payment received and to ship. Plus, I have no idea how the Postal service will be affected, and for how long.

As soon as I realized the potential mess this could be, I messaged the bidder letting them know of this possibility. I stated that if they wished to retract their bid due to the situation,  I  would end the listing.  I also offered to relist the item once I'm able to, at their bid price, as a BIN, and to notify them immediately upon relisting it. So far, they have not responded.

Is there something else I can or should do? I'm so freaked about the storm, and can't think straight right now.

Belle
Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: In Irma's Path and Have Auction with Bid Ending 9/11

@mebuck1234, thanks so much! Really helps to have input from someone who's been through this recently. Hope you and yours are all okay. ((HUGS))

Belle
Message 31 of 53
latest reply

Thank you so much to all of you!! I have ended the listing and feel a little lighter now. Please, everyone, STAY SAFE!! My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in Irma's path, as well as those of you who are enduring the aftermath of Harvey.

Apparently, not everyone here in my neighborhood is worried. Despite the number of houses with boarded windows, someone is shooting off fireworks!😱

Belle
Message 32 of 53
latest reply

@southernfriedbelle - I am glad that you ended the listing, trying to do the right thing for the buyer and not being punished by eBay and/or buyer would be trying for me too 😞  

We have had our share of Hurricane's here in Northern New Jersey with Sandy being the worse.  During Sandy, I did not loose power, but internet & TV.  After a couple of days I was flipping out because I did not know exactly how bad it was.  When I did get out of the house, I noticed there were long lines at the gas stations and did not dawn on me that some of the stations had no power to pump gas 😞  I had an instant flash back to the 70s with the gas shortages 😞

One in the 80s, it took me 3hrs to drive home from work w/my son 😞  Could not see anything in front of you 😞  When I get in the house, my grandmother wanted me to go back out to "play my pickets" (NJ Lottery) and I asked her if she was crazy LOL!  She got mad at me LMAO, and threatened to go out herself, that was when I lost it with her - I had to rat her out to my mother.

Everyone stay as safe as you can - sending prayers and hugs to all heart 

Message 33 of 53
latest reply

@southernfriedbelle wrote:

@mebuck1234, thanks so much! Really helps to have input from someone who's been through this recently. Hope you and yours are all okay. ((HUGS))

Thank you.  We were very fortunate with only minimal damage to our house.  Water came close but didn't get in the house.  We have family in both Tampa and Merritt Island so we are watching the news almost non-stop.  Will be praying for you! Stay safe!

Message 34 of 53
latest reply

@postingid2017, oh, I remember those 70s  has lines! I'd  always take a book with me. Had a Plymouth '69 Valiant, no AC, and plastic seats. That was miserable in Columbia, SC during summer. Still, my first car, so I loved it, sweat sauna though it was!

Belle
Message 35 of 53
latest reply

I too am in Florida, Tampa Bay expecting  the landfall hit, and I had called Ebay yesterday asking if I should end all my listings.  A rep from US in my account dept told me not to as Ebay is not penalizing any sellers who are in Texas and Florida during this, and he said most will not purchase from Fl and expect to get anytime soon.  I believed  him and did not end listings, and had a sale, who will not respond to me either.  Have messaged her twice asking if she wanted me to cancel the sale, and she refuses to respond.  Not so sure I can trust Ebay not to penalize, and as you all are being so kind and saying, I have a lot more on my plate then worrying about an $8.00 Ebay sale.  Would any of you believe Ebay, they said they were putting out an announcement on Fl, but have not seen one.  We are all so scared and also have horses we can not leave.

Thanks for listening,

Casey

Message 36 of 53
latest reply

My father used to take our cars and fill them up before he went to work so I didn't have worry about that, but the lines here were horrible 😞  

I have family in Columbia, SC & Saluda, SC is where my parents are from.  From the look of the path of Irma, it may end up heading that way.  My brother & I inherited land in Saluda (10 acres) but it is too hot in the South for me.  

Even the supermarket today, people were buying food like crazy.  It took me an hour to go and get back home and the store is not that far from my house 😞   

Message 37 of 53
latest reply

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Seller-Protection-Will-be-Extended-to-Sellers-Affected-by...

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 38 of 53
latest reply

I am glad to see the way the people on this board are treating each other and giving sincere advice. Whatever you may plan, Buying/selling and the people here will be here for you after things get back to normal. It would be less stress if you were not worried about transactions like these, but some people may have circumstances or reasons I am unable to forsee.

I will tell you one thing, we will all get through this. I have been through several wars and a very bad labor camp experience and no matter how bad things look you emerge on the other side. That is not to say I wish this on anyone or that it will be easy. The best look into the future I have is a lot of prolonged pwer outages and depending on where you live it may be impossible to drive around and buy certain things. It won't be like the opening scenes from Mad Max or anything.

I suppose acts of nature are a bit difficult to grasp when there is nobody to blame or no way to fight back. I'm a  Cossack, and I will take 3 arrows in the knee before I get a sword in my back, I fight anything and everything, but this is different..... sitting and watching it grow and slowly get worse is weird, it's like the verses of Oshtelnik III.

Most of us will not be posting over the next few days for obvious reasons. We appreciate ALL of YOU and your kind thoughts and words, and we will do OK. In the interim, take good care of the message boards like you always do, and we will drop by when we can and let you know what it's like around here. Remember, living in the middle of the ocean looks like heaven 99.9% of the time, but here comes that other .1%.

Message 39 of 53
latest reply

@miviewmagicmaker wrote:

I too am in Florida, Tampa Bay expecting  the landfall hit, and I had called Ebay yesterday asking if I should end all my listings.  A rep from US in my account dept told me not to as Ebay is not penalizing any sellers who are in Texas and Florida during this, and he said most will not purchase from Fl and expect to get anytime soon.  I believed  him and did not end listings, and had a sale, who will not respond to me either.  Have messaged her twice asking if she wanted me to cancel the sale, and she refuses to respond.  Not so sure I can trust Ebay not to penalize, and as you all are being so kind and saying, I have a lot more on my plate then worrying about an $8.00 Ebay sale.  Would any of you believe Ebay, they said they were putting out an announcement on Fl, but have not seen one.  We are all so scared and also have horses we can not leave.

Thanks for listening,

Casey

Oh, those CS reps! I hope you went ahead and ended any other listings you had up!

Stay safe, @miviewmagicmaker. Will keep you in my prayers! ((HUGS))

Belle
Message 40 of 53
latest reply

Maybe they want to use them because they are afraid they will get wet and be useless?

Have to say, with all that is going on, fireworks would be the last thing on my mind!

But to each his own.

Message 41 of 53
latest reply

@mebuck1234

Thank God for minimal damage; you are blessed!

SO happy for you; take care!

Message 42 of 53
latest reply

Belle:  I know you are nervous and anxious and that is only natural.

I mentioned that verse earlier because many times I repeat that to myself when I am anxious or afraid.  It reminds me Who is in control.

Message 43 of 53
latest reply

THANK  YOU

Message 44 of 53
latest reply

When I lived in the Florida panhandle. Hurricane Party's always went on until the winds and surges started.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 45 of 53
latest reply