cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvements to the iPhone Buying and Selling experience

I’m happy to announce that we’ve just launched an improvement to the iPhone buying and selling experience on eBay.

Network Technology (GSM/CDMA):

Apple creates multiple models of their iPhones that support different network technologies like GSM or CDMA. These network technologies determine which network carriers are supported on the phone.

e.g. The iPhone X Model A1901 supports GSM only. This means that you cannot use Verizon or Sprint as the network carrier on that phone.

To help sellers and buyers navigate through this complexity, we have updated our experience as follows:

Selling Experience:

During the iPhone selling experience on ebay.com, we now ask sellers to choose the Model Number of the phone they are trying to sell:

VSE.jpg

You can find the Model Number of your phone on the back of your phone or box. Alternatively you can also get it from general settings on your phone, by tapping once on the “Model” value.

Model.jpg

Buying Experience:

The iPhone product pages (PRPs) now show which “Model Number” you are buying. You can also select the available “Model Numbers” from a drop down.

Please note that the available “Model Number” values is dependent on the supported network. So please select “Unlocked” Network to be able to select all the “Model Numbers”.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Apple-iPhone-X-256GB-Space-Gray-Unlocked-A1901-GSM/239160993

iPhonePRP.jpg

If you are unsure which model or network type to buy, please check with your carrier for compatibility.

If you have any comments/questions/feedback about these updates. Please comment below.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Changing it to "List it, Get paid, Ship it" would be the biggest help for new sellers that you try to target. 

Or some kind of WARNING when listing an I-Phone for sale.

Have lost track of the threads here that start with "I sold and I-phone and"

Don't even have to read them to know this is a bad thing.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 82
latest reply

Good news for scammers...they can more easily zero in on their pigeon.

Message 4 of 82
latest reply

How about an improvement of your customer base. Instead of a pulse and a guest account, maybe some kind of verification first. The iPhone scams are rampant here and it needs to be addressed.

~Why be a second rate version of someone else when you can be a first rate version of yourself~

Message 5 of 82
latest reply

@syedmhaq wrote:

If you have any comments/questions/feedback about these updates. Please comment below.

@syedmhaq: While that's certainly helpful to legitimate buyers and sellers, you're really just rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. What you need to do, first and foremost, is ramp up an aggressive strategy to reduce instances of fraud revolving around these very same products.

Stepping newbie sellers through some sort of tutorial on how to sell a smartphone (I'm not even going to pretend that eBay would consider discouraging them) might help them to avoid the more obvious scams. This might include reminders of what to do (e.g. log into PayPal to verify that it is okay to ship, and that the payment is actually cleared; how to tell the difference between an uncleared eCheck and a cleared payment with a funds hold), and what not to do (e.g. change the Ship-To: address after the buyer has paid).

Going after fraudulent buying activities involving these phones will affect a much larger percentage of iPhone transactions than posting guidelines on which phone goes with which carrier. While these new improvements are helpful, they're not addressing the real problems here.

Message 6 of 82
latest reply

Did anybody else miss the part about improved protection from scammers?
Message 7 of 82
latest reply

I have answered zillions of questions on these boards,and when it starts "im a newbie and sold an IPhone, I stop reading cause I know the outcome. When you puta warning label on future IPone ads. I might start paying attention

Message 8 of 82
latest reply

Hello everyone,

Since this thread has gotten a bit off-topic (and some off-topic discussion has been removed), please bring the discussion back to Improvements to the iPhone Buying and Selling experience.

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- miss.kitty.kat
Community Moderator
Message 9 of 82
latest reply

with a iphone probably being one of the most scammed items on ebay, they should not even allow iphones to sold here.

oh wait, ebay wont get the the fees, so what if the seller gers scammed.

Message 10 of 82
latest reply

@kh-missy wrote:

Hello everyone,

Since this thread has gotten a bit off-topic, please bring the discussion back to Improvements to the iPhone Buying and Selling experience.

Thanks!

We are discussing improvements - just not the ones that ebay wants to see.

450 views on the OP and not one helpful. Hmmm wonder why?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 12 of 82
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
450 views on the OP and not one helpful. Hmmm wonder why?

Perhaps it is only subjective that the suggestions and critiques aren't helpful.

Somehow, I don't think a forum, open to all, is necessarily the right place for seeking only positive and friendly comments.  What one considers an off-topic comment may be dead-on in the view of others.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 82
latest reply

I think improvements should be made insofar as iMac's too.  I see those posts way too many times.  

Message 14 of 82
latest reply

I can't tell you how disappointed I am in reading this. I thought this would be about preventing iPhone scams. 

Message 15 of 82
latest reply