cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Immediate cancellation requests on items.

Hi everyone,

I am a small seller of individual vintage items, and this week, on three different items and from three different buyers, I've had sales with payment followed by immediate cancellation requests. I am guessing this is an unscrupulous competitor using dummy accounts to take my items down when they post something similar, but perhaps there is another explanation? I've put all the quick cancelling accounts on my block list, but I fear this is going to turn into a game of whack-a-mole.

Is anyone else encountering similar problems lately?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Immediate cancellation requests on items.

On checkout eBay puts competitor's products in buyer's faces with their 'get it for less' or whatever their campaign is.  Buyer sees that, and since they can cancel within an hour of purchase, they do that - in this case immediately (at least).  I think that's more likely than random competition.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@silvervintagephoto 

Agreed.  As soon as You sell it, it shows your Buyer a row of the same item, all much cheaper.  Never mind yours might be new, unopened, etc and the cheaper one used, open, missing a piece, etc.

Keep BBLing and better future sales!. Stay safe.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Such cancellations are commonplace for us. We refund the customers' money and block them. 

None have been competitors, just backbreaking bargain hunters. Who needs them?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

If you're promising quick shipping, like one business day in order to save a little on eBay fees, you may want to increase that by a day. That way you have less of a chance of shipping out your items before the buyer cancels.

My buyers that cancel usually do so within one day, most often citing "ordered by mistake", and a couple times I've burned myself by shipping too quickly... So far, those items have been returned to me by being refused at delivery, which I ask them to do. When that happens, after receiving the return I refund their payment less the shipping cost. Then they go on my BBL as  wishy-washy buyer or "backbreaking bargain hunter", as certifiedcitynet just said.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

On checkout eBay puts competitor's products in buyer's faces with their 'get it for less' or whatever their campaign is.  Buyer sees that, and since they can cancel within an hour of purchase, they do that - in this case immediately (at least).  I think that's more likely than random competition.

Makes sense. In light of @duffy4444 's comment below, it seems like yet another in a long line of eBay's attempts to alienate their established sellers.

Press your sellers to ship right away and then turn around and punish them for it? What could go wrong?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I have one day shipping, and very often I ship same day as soon as the order comes in.  All of my items are in my home, so that's easy to do.  I have shipped something, put it in the mailbox, and had the mail carrier pick it up moments later.  I have taken to waiting a bit just in case a cancellation comes in.  I can't get it back from the mail carrier once it is picked up!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I've had cancellation requests, and as long as I haven't shipped I'm fine with that. If I shipped I'm probably going to reject the request. As far as I know the option is mine. Never had a problem. I also don't accept returns, though if there is an issue and the person is polite about it I might, but policy is no. 

Yes, any problem bidders get blocked.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@silvervintagephoto wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Makes sense. In light of @duffy4444 's comment below, it seems like yet another in a long line of eBay's attempts to alienate their established sellers.

Press your sellers to ship right away and then turn around and punish them for it? What could go wrong?

I feel like it pits sellers against each other in this race to the bottom.  Also cluttering up our real estate with other listings until one can barely see our own listing.  It's just two ways that we're just 'vendors on a managed marketplace" - we can come or go and it doesn't matter, there's always others to 'fill the moat'.  Honestly, I'm fine with most of what eBay does, I don't need them to be my best friend, but geez, those two things just really frost me. 

My response is to not list what anyone else might have, or might not have a lot of, but that's not always possible, or a market - used or new - might just be competitive - there is SO much stuff on here and increasing as people are using online marketplaces to sell their own goods to make ends meet during these strange times.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@silvervintagephoto wrote:

I am guessing this is an unscrupulous competitor using dummy accounts to take my items down when they post something similar, but perhaps there is another explanation?

Competitors would have no reason  to pay and then request a cancellation. They could accomplish the same thing by simply buying and then not paying. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

You would think the more intelligent approach for ebay would be to program similar priced listings into those advertisements. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think I've ever had a cancellation request. I've had return requests, though. They always change their mind when they learn they have to send the thing back. 😙 Most of what I sell is very inexpensive stuff so that's probably why. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't noticed that. And I buy a lot of stuff lol. I've noticed the row of similar items on the bottom when I bring up an item. They do the thing where they show an item in my watched list after I buy something with a "Don't miss this one." 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I think another reason might be, at least in a lot of my cases and in my own opinion, it's someone that buys an item that has high views/watchers. I've had several items either get an offer made or flat out buy it now then within minutes and sometimes literal seconds, they send the "cancel request" because "I found a better price". It could be because of the suggested listings after you've purchased an item, but I just get it from listing that have over the average views/watchers.  I swear they do that just so it resets all your views/watchers.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply