cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you sell books you better check your categories

I was doing some work today and noticed that books I listed in the antique and collectable category were no longer in the category I set them up with. 

Went into the ebay listings and found one had been moved into magazines (that book weighs 9 pounds). Found another that ended up in Dictionaries………. 

After double checking what was uploaded, it’s not a mistake on my part. 

Seems to be isolated to the items I uploaded yesterday. Everything else looked ok. 

If you sell books it might be worth a look to be sure they are still where you originally put them. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: If you sell books you better check your categories

That Is A Very Heavy Magazine!

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Probably a heavy subject. 

ETA: I checked my yesterday's book listing and so far so good.  Thanks for the heads up, @the_fancy_fox !

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Good heads up.

By chance, are you using a third party lister? If you are I'd let them know about it - could be an API issue they need to address.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@meme6253 wrote:

That Is A Very Heavy Magazine!

Big too. About 16” x 12”

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Good heads up.

By chance, are you using a third party lister? If you are I'd let them know about it - could be an API issue they need to address.

I am and I have been in contact with them in a back and forth conversation today. The only thing that makes me think it’s ebay and not my lister is all the books that ended up in places they didn’t belong had all been listed in one category. Antique and collectable. 

The only reason I even caught it was I noticed that a book that just sold was listed as “like new”, it wasn’t like new, it was used and very clean but I would’ve never listed it as like new.

The regular book category has multiple conditions allowed, (new, like new, very good, etc.. ) the antique and collectibles only have two,  new and used. 

if I remember correctly (don’t quote me) I think ebay had said not to long ago they were going to work on the specifics in different categories and books were on the list. 

maybe they are doing what they think is an ebay cleanup? Like the cookbook fiasco so many years ago….

If I learn anything else will let you know. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks, appreciate the added insight.

Yeah, I don't doubt the issue is on eBay's end. An issue with the API (if that's what it is) is almost always on eBay's end from my experience, but if it is connected to the API at all then the 3rd party lister might have some muscle and contacts be able to get eBay to fix it.

Speaking of book conditions - did you see what Amazon's been testing this week? They've taken a page right out of the eBay playbook.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/pl/2023/2/1675739819.html

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I had not seen that but thank you for the heads up. 

If ebay or Amazon wants to be responsible for a disgruntled buyer due to stated conditions, fine. But don’t change things I do and then tell me it’s my problem! 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

The thing is, neither eBay nor Amazon will take responsibility when disgruntled buyers ensue from their misguided changes.

None of the Antiquarian and Collectible category books I listed yesterday have changed categories.

And fortunately all the the previous Amazon book conditions were reinstated today.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply