cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS pushed back the $600 seller 1099-K for 2023 tax year...any official announcement from eBay yet?

IRS announced on Nov 21, 2023 regarding postponing the 2023 $600 tax requirement and increasing it to $5,000 in 2024: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-delay-in-form-1099-k-reporting-threshold-for-third-party-...

It is my understanding that other platforms like Etsy already sent their sellers confirmation that no 1099-K will be sent to the sellers who sold between $600 - $20,000 in 2023. Anyone gotten official announcement from eBay yet? Would eBay follow this new guideline and update their 1099-K information center (https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/2022-changes-to-ebay-and-your-1099-k) before end of this year?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

IRS pushed back the $600 seller 1099-K for 2023 tax year...any official announcement from eBay yet?

Does it really matter if you get a piece of paper or not?

You still report your income like you're supposed to.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Just add this post to the ever growing posts on the same subject. 
Plan on declaring your eBay income regardless of the reporting threshold eBay has or doesn’t have.  
While you’re at it, check on what your state’s reporting threshold is. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I haven't seen an announcement from eBay yet.

However, given that eBay has been lobbying heavily against the lower threshold, I would say that the chance that eBay would send 1099-K forms when they are not required to is probably zero.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

No, but who cares when eBay gets around to an official announcement?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Read some of the other postings regarding this subject. There has been nothing and you may not ever see an announcement. As an FYI not sure what state you are in but you may want to check your state laws. Some states already have a lower threshold and the Federal levels mean nothing in those cases. Also the $5K is a rumor and will take passage by Congress and even that will not change the state levels. 

I have also not received anything from PayPal, Venmo, Zelle or Google Pay. My assumption is those processors feel the account holders know what they are doing and what the laws and requirements are. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply