cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I understand eBay needs to make money

Selling refined gold today I lost money, I know I should have figured their listing final valuation fee in my price but how do you sell above the day's spot price? with the cost of materials for refining and the price I pay for the gold (which is a decent price). so, a $ 3300.00 sale, I paid Ebay $435.00. I guess to make money with gold you'd have to rob a jewelry store to gain a decent profit. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

If a seller is planning on turning over a certain product line consistently,  it is best to calculate all costs beforehand to determine profit/loss margin.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

If you had signed up for a Basic Store even for one month the fees would have been 5%. $165 + $27.95 (1 month Store Sub) instead of $435. At 5% it's about the same as what an actual bullion dealer will pay. The only way to actually make money on bullion (other than stealing) is to buy on the deep dip and hold (for a few years) and hope for a peak. I have a little bit stashed away but I paid only about $150/oz back in the day, I'm waiting until it reaches $3000/oz (if ever) to sell.

slippinjimmy_0-1709717656286.png

Personally I don't understand why anyone sells bullion on eBay unless they are laundering money and even then I'm not sure it's viable given that eBay issues a 1099-K.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

There are plenty of companies/people that make money on Gold & Silver bullion. Look at what you paid back in the day. You would make 10x's what you paid. What does a 1099K have to do with anything? Hopefully you have a few hundred troy ounces. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply