cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sold an airplane kit 14 months ago, he still hasn't picked it up.

He paid for the item right away by cashiers check.   Kept saying he would come next month.  Haven't heard from him in 4 months.  Thus thing has been in my way at every turn.  I have moved the frame outside, but the engine, instruments, and other parts are still in my barn.  I told him in May I was going to charge him $500 a month storage fee.  Can I resell this?!?  I want it gone!

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: I sold an airplane kit 14 months ago, he still hasn't picked it up.

wrote:

He paid for the item right away by cashiers check.   Kept saying he would come next month.  Haven't heard from him in 4 months.  Thus thing has been in my way at every turn.  I have moved the frame outside, but the engine, instruments, and other parts are still in my barn.  I told him in May I was going to charge him $500 a month storage fee.  Can I resell this?!?  I want it gone!

Where do you live?

I believe that your ability to resell it is dependent on your home states laws with regards to abandoned property.

Do some internet research as to what state laws and procedures are already in place and that apply to storage facilities. They have to deal with these types of situations all the time. It will be a good starting point for you.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Yes, you can sell it. 

You must/should be able to document that you have over those months given email notice to the buyer he must complete the sale - about three of times to show good intentions on your part.

Did your listing include a condition that a now refundable deposit is required within x number of days and final payment upon pick up? You said he paid for it - in full we presume.

That the plane hasn't been picked up. No bill of sale has been issued and you can show you have earnestly reminded the buyer, you can sell it again.  But be prepared to refund some amount of the original buyers payment as a goodwill effort. That would be a negotiated settlement.

By the way, is the engine a turbine? I'll buy it.   But don't let Dave know OK?

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

here's  good place to start getting the answers use seek....

abandoned property washington

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@duggmills @skywatcher-farms

wrote:

Yes, you can sell it. 

You must/should be able to document that you have over those months given email notice to the buyer he must complete the sale - about three of times to show good intentions on your part.

Did your listing include a condition that a now refundable deposit is required within x number of days and final payment upon pick up? You said he paid for it - in full we presume.

That the plane hasn't been picked up. No bill of sale has been issued and you can show you have earnestly reminded the buyer, you can sell it again.  But be prepared to refund some amount of the original buyers payment as a goodwill effort. That would be a negotiated settlement.

I got room in the barn for another plane...

What model is it ????

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Sell it.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

wrote:

Yes, you can sell it. 

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Maybe something happened to the buyer. Critically ill or worse?

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

No, he lives in Alaska and didn' reaize how much it cost to ship.  

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Challenger II
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Assemble it and personally deliver it the way the Bomber Girls of WWII did?  😄

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@skywatcher-farms

wrote:
Challenger II

Sweet ride, but my wife says I can't buy any more planes.

I have two Cessna 150's in my front yard.

I spent the last 9 months putting a 1947 Ercoupe back in service ( 20 years in a barn )

We got the wings on the L-39 jet, just need to put in the engine.

( We are going for a speed record with this one )

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Send him one more message giving him an EXACT deadline to have it out of your garage. An EXACT deadline. And let him know that after that date it will be considered abandoned property. Cover your behind by giving him that one more chance with explicit language.

Tiptoeing through the tulips can end in stepping on a cow patty 😉
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

wrote:
Challenger II

I was part the Challenger disaster and take this stuff seriously.  My brother called me when the explosion happened and those words are forever in my memory.  NASA = Need Another Seven Astronauts!

Karen

~~ This is not my Seller account ~~
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

To cya, sent him a certified letter, or whatever method  where a return signature is sent back to you so you know that he got it.  State in there a specific date that it will be disposed of from your property. You have given him plenty of time to come and get it. 14 months is more than enough. Reclaim your barn and space!

Message 15 of 22
latest reply